Old March 14th 19, 11:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 04:12:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I can't quite understand why TNP clearly doesn't use this
facility, is it some sort of aversion to the technology?

He's too incompetent to work out how to add a spelling checker.

Unlikely, but he's a Brexiteer who doesn't care about the effects of the
things he does, just like you, psychopath!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Old March 14th 19, 05:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to turn off the reversing noise ROADSTER DX-8

On 12/03/2019 18:41, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

Is not the reversing noise there for persons like myself who are blind
and might not know you were reversing?

But its fine to run you buggers over going forwards.

Less likely though given that eyes tend to be in the side of the head
that's facing forwards.
Old March 14th 19, 08:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Is not the reversing noise there for persons like myself who are blind
and might not know you were reversing?

But its fine to run you buggers over going forwards.

Less likely though given that eyes tend to be in the side of the head
that's facing forwards.

That’s not the reason that machinery etc beeps when going
backwards, its because it normally doesn’t go backwards as
much and is warning that it is about to do that.

Old March 14th 19, 09:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 07:18:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

That˘s not the reason that machinery etc beeps when going
backwards, its because it normally doesn˘t go backwards as
much and is warning that it is about to do that.

You don't WHY his "machinery" beeps, senile idiot, but you KEEP smartassing
about in your known senile manner!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Old March 14th 19, 11:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 March 2019 17:45:34 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is not the reversing noise there for persons like myself who are blind and
might not know you were reversing?

Sorry but I don't get it. its a safety feature and we have just won the
right to get all electric vehicles given a sound which cannot be turned off.

Good - I was thinking of suggesting it to someone. The sound should be controlled by an ambient-noise microphone so that a person with elderly but functional hearing will be able to hear the sound at a suitable distance, perhaps depending on the speed/direction of the vehicle. This noise will help the sighted too - having seen a parked car, they may by force of habit think it safe to walk behind the car while looking for hazards elsewhere.

Let the owner choose the sound - I'd favour portions of the Grand March from Aida, the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves, the Overture to Tannhauser, or of course The Padstow Lifeboat and the Entry of the Gladiators or Der alte Brummbaer. YMMV.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: [email protected] |

Old March 15th 19, 12:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2019 23:44, wrote:
[...]

For electric cars, I would suggest the sound of ... a normal car! People
have been brought up for all their lives to recognise the sound of and
the danger of cars. Using different sounds may well mean that people
don't immediately recognise the danger. Even after decades of electric
car use, if just any sound is allowed, people will be having to look at
every noise or will be ignoring most of them.

SteveW
Old March 15th 19, 01:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 16:44:33 -0700, dr.s.lartius wrote:

[...]

I'd use what I have as my text message alert.

A Benjamin Horn klaxon.

Old March 15th 19, 09:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 00:16, Steve Walker wrote:

For electric cars, I would suggest the sound of ... a normal car! People
have been brought up for all their lives to recognise the sound of and
the danger of cars. Using different sounds may well mean that people
don't immediately recognise the danger. Even after decades of electric
car use, if just any sound is allowed, people will be having to look at
every noise or will be ignoring most of them.

The beeping sound made by vehicles reversing could be made the same as
the beeping sound made at pedestrian crossings to indicate that it's
safe to cross. I'm sure that would help the bling person waiting a
crossing alongside the mobility jockey manoeuvring his mode of transport
into position to use the same crossing.

Old March 15th 19, 09:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

The beeping sound made by vehicles reversing could be made the same as
the beeping sound made at pedestrian crossings to indicate that it's
safe to cross. I'm sure that would help the bling person waiting a
crossing alongside the mobility jockey manoeuvring his mode of transport
into position to use the same crossing.

I heard, maybe apocryphally, that at a pedestrian crossing near a
railway station, a person with vision problems mistook a train
door close alarm for the pedestrian crossing signal.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old March 15th 19, 10:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 636aae44-ec2f-46c3-8e0c-47c2adf12c39
@googlegroups.com, says...

On Tuesday, 12 March 2019 17:45:34 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

Sorry but I don't get it. its a safety feature and we have just won the
right to get all electric vehicles given a sound which cannot be turned off.

Let the owner choose the sound -

What's the matter with the sound of a traditional electric
vehicle - a trolleybus - and yes, they did make a sound - and
still do, as a visit to Sandtoft will demonstrate:

http://www.sandtoft.org.uk/

It's a distinctive sound, which helps to remind pedestrians
that they can accelerate much faster than their diesel engined
cousins.

--

Terry

---