DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/632549-moan-led-ses-candle-lamps-embossed-printing.html)

[email protected] March 11th 19 10:57 AM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

Andy Burns[_13_] March 11th 19 11:01 AM

wrote:

I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

https://screwfix.com/p/p/75064

HTH.

Caecilius[_2_] March 11th 19 11:23 AM

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 10:57:11 +0000, wrote:

I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

I use these LED fillament bulbs for my SES candle bulbs:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTFCA6SESCL.html

No white base, and look just like a regular bulb.

Graham.[_11_] March 11th 19 12:32 PM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

The last time that was an issue for me, it was the bulb for my
photographic enlarger.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Mike Clarke March 11th 19 03:36 PM

On 11/03/2019 12:32, Graham. wrote:
The last time that was an issue for me, it was the bulb for my
photographic enlarger.

There were special bulbs made for enlargers, they were designed to give
a whiter light and had the rating details printed on the side where it
wouldn't cause a problem instead of the end.

The OPs problem is different though the printing is on the white plastic
forming the base and not on the illuminated part.

[email protected] March 11th 19 05:28 PM

On 11/03/2019 11:01, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

https://screwfix.com/p/p/75064

HTH.

I'm currently experimenting with sanding one, but that would be best
done by spinning it in the lathe, but that needs me to get the lathe
going after the house move, but that needs me to finish the garage
re-wiring, but that ... sigh! Maybe a can of paint would be easier ;-)

Brian Gaff March 11th 19 05:39 PM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

White sticky tape?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

[email protected] March 11th 19 05:45 PM

On 11/03/2019 11:23, Caecilius wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 10:57:11 +0000, wrote:

I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

I use these LED fillament bulbs for my SES candle bulbs:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTFCA6SESCL.html

No white base, and look just like a regular bulb.

Thanks, but I need to be able to dim them and those particular ones
aren't dimmable. TLC don't seem to have dimmable "filament" type LED
lamps with an SES/E14 base and reviews of that style from other vendors
(e.g. Amazon) are very mixed - makes me wonder if the electronics run
hotter because they're squeezed into a smaller space than those with a
white base.

[email protected] March 11th 19 05:46 PM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

On 11/03/2019 17:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
White sticky tape?
Brian

The surface is a complex curve, plus that would look a bit naff.

Caecilius[_2_] March 11th 19 06:05 PM

wrote:

I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

I use these LED fillament bulbs for my SES candle bulbs:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTFCA6SESCL.html

No white base, and look just like a regular bulb.

Thanks, but I need to be able to dim them and those particular ones
aren't dimmable. TLC don't seem to have dimmable "filament" type LED
lamps with an SES/E14 base and reviews of that style from other vendors
(e.g. Amazon) are very mixed - makes me wonder if the electronics run
hotter because they're squeezed into a smaller space than those with a
white base.

TLC have dimmable versions as well:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTFCAD6SESCL.html

Rod Speed March 11th 19 08:33 PM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

Brian Gaff wrote

White sticky tape?

White heat shrink would look better.

DerbyBorn[_5_] March 12th 19 09:53 AM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

Mike Clarke wrote in news:q65vaj$61m$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

On 11/03/2019 12:32, Graham. wrote:
The last time that was an issue for me, it was the bulb for my
photographic enlarger.

There were special bulbs made for enlargers, they were designed to give
a whiter light and had the rating details printed on the side where it
wouldn't cause a problem instead of the end.

The OPs problem is different though the printing is on the white plastic
forming the base and not on the illuminated part.

I remember that Phillips Photlita range?

Dave Plowman (News) March 12th 19 11:04 AM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

In article ,
wrote:
I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

I feel your pain. Have a mirror with golfball lamps surrounding it (film
makeup style) And depending on make, some have very obvious writing on
them. But on the glass itself. Hope I never have to go LED with that, as
the LED versions are more a half globe than the near full one of tungsten.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Roger Hayter[_2_] March 12th 19 12:43 PM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

I feel your pain. Have a mirror with golfball lamps surrounding it (film
makeup style) And depending on make, some have very obvious writing on
them. But on the glass itself. Hope I never have to go LED with that, as
the LED versions are more a half globe than the near full one of tungsten.

I am sitting next to some full globe, normal size, frosted LED golfball
bulbs, B22-4W-G45-3000K-F from ledhut.co.uk That's the warm white
version, they do others. Nine of them have lasted a nine months in use
for several hours a day. Just a heads up on the current market, no
particular recommendation for this source, though I have found them
reliable, helpful and reasonably priced.

--

Roger Hayter

Dave Plowman (News) March 12th 19 03:53 PM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Good to know, thanks. Although these particular ones ain't on for long
periods, so cost of the 16 lamps perhaps more important than the energy
used.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Peeler[_3_] March 14th 19 10:58 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 07:33:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

White sticky tape?

White heat shrink would look better.

snicker The senile know-it-all knows it better, AGAIN!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

[email protected] April 16th 19 01:22 PM

On 11/03/2019 10:57, wrote:
I've got wall and ceiling lights that take LED SES candle bulbs, but
they all seem to have information embossed on their (white) base, and
this is visible when the lamp is in position. This must be common to
most light fittings that use these things. Grrr!

In case anyone is interested, I've found some in B&Q that don't have the
problem. They're pricey but have a 5 year guarantee.
https://www.diy.com/departments/dial...2667964_BQ.prd

[email protected] April 16th 19 02:08 PM

Moan: LED SES "candle" lamps with embossed printing

Maybe see what your local electrical wholesaler has?
(In the way of dimmable filament)