Old March 15th 19, 06:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT

On Friday, 15 March 2019 18:38:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Friday, 15 March 2019 12:56:43 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 14 March 2019 17:44:24 UTC, tabby wrote:

Can be an interesting question how one can make noncompliant antiques
safe.

It's quite easy yuo just make them comply to the necessary safety rules.

Like the vulcan bomber, remove the nuclear weapons and all weapons
and makew sure that no one can just jump in and take off in it it is
then consider safe, but it;s still an aircraft that can be seen and
viewed.

lol. How would you make a live chassis curtain burner safe then?

Use and isolating transformer, stupid.

I wanted to see if Dave had a clue. Thanks for ruining that.

NT

Old March 15th 19, 07:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:39:58 +0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 12:39:02 +0000
Bill Wright wrote:

On 14/03/2019 05:08, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

The three doesn't mean 3kW you know.

That must take the prize for the silliest post of the year.

Indeed - I have an extension lead with a 3A fuse fitted (and I have
written on the plug and the socket "3A fuse fitted") I don't think
this would be good for a 3kW load.

On the contrary, it's an excellent plan for a 3kW load. Unless of
course the cable is rated at 3kW coiled of course.

Have you seen a 13A fused 50metre extention that has supplied a 3kW
load?

It tends to lack that "just off Wickes shelf" look :-)

AB
Old March 15th 19, 07:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 12:20:13 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 12/03/2019 19:22, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:
On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:15:05 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 12/03/2019 03:57, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Like yourself though, they all knew everything there was to know about
the subject even before they did the course.

Your sarcasm fails because actually I do know everything necessary to
check the safety of a mains extension lead. As do many people.

Unfortunately for technical pseudo-elitists it really isn't rocket science.

Bill

Really?

I would suggest that you are not fit to plug the dammned cable into a
socket.

Yup, but that is because you are generally obnoxious and have your head
too far up your own arse.

I am not overly popular with some of the people I work with either,
and I work with one hell of a lot of Hi Vis and forward parking
spotters.

If I do raise a H&S issue then it's with good reason and flippant know
it alls that get away with things for years do get their come uppance
eventually. Accidents may be less frequent than years back, but the
results are the same, with the added costs of court proceedings.

AB
Old March 15th 19, 07:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 09:52:04 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Resolved - one of the committee has a husband who has access to a recently
PAT Tested and stickered lead for the event.

I think it is all about just keeping people happy.

I suppose the presenter was trying to avoid any blame if a faulty lead had
been provided due to her requiring one for the presentation. Avoiding
liability by being seen to be taking every step to ensure safety.

Seemed an overkill.

If a faulty lead had been provided and the equipment used was class 1,
the lady would have been at a much higher level of risk, in fact the
risk may be a certainty of shock or electrocution if the circumstances
were right.

Taking every reasonable step to ensure safety isn't an overkill at
all. It's to be expected and anything else is negligence.

Methinks the lady would be better off finding other venues if what
should be normal adherence to current practices is "overkill".

I hope for everyones sake the heating to the hall isn't by gas!!

AB

Old March 15th 19, 09:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 11:09, Terry Casey wrote:
In article 63cdacc4-2fb5-4e8f-8432-098591ca6b19
says...
I've not encountered a lot of connectors on the appliance, but IMLE they mostly failed.
Some had bare pins sticking out, though a lot were as you say shrouded. Shrouded connectors were frequently touchable live when part-way in.

I spent 9 years repairing radios and TVs from 1960 - 69, so
saw a wide variety of sets dating back to the early/mid 50s
from numerous manufacturers and never saw a set with exposed
pins. The connectors were all variants of a 5A 2 pin flex
connector, which is exactly what we used on the bench - the
manufacturers special version never left the customer's home.

I recall leaning on the front of a military transmitter sometime in the
70s - it may well have been 50s vintage.

I recall it because there were three live mains pins on the front. It hurt.

Andy

Old March 16th 19, 09:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 March 2019 04:38:35 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 15/03/2019 01:29, tabbypurr wrote:

that having assessed and used countless mains extension leads without
harming the afore mentioned man or beast, I am de facto qualified to
test mains extension leads.

that is the nonsequitur. You may be very well qualified to test them, but not because no-one has gotten hurt.

What better qualification could I have? Maybe a piece of paper handed
out after a three hour course at the local tech?

Bill

Electrical knowledge plus knowing what issues to look for. I don't doubt you have the former. Hopefully you have the latter too, though it's not implied by either electrical knowledge or years of experience.

NT
Old March 16th 19, 11:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Friday, 15 March 2019 12:56:43 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 14 March 2019 17:44:24 UTC, tabby wrote:

Can be an interesting question how one can make noncompliant
antiques safe.

It's quite easy yuo just make them comply to the necessary safety
rules.

Like the vulcan bomber, remove the nuclear weapons and all weapons
and makew sure that no one can just jump in and take off in it it
is then consider safe, but it;s still an aircraft that can be seen
and viewed.

lol. How would you make a live chassis curtain burner safe then?

Use and isolating transformer, stupid.

I wanted to see if Dave had a clue. Thanks for ruining that.

He'd already mentioned them earlier on the thread.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old March 16th 19, 06:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 March 2019 12:16:06 UTC, charles wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Friday, 15 March 2019 12:56:43 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 14 March 2019 17:44:24 UTC, tabby wrote:

Can be an interesting question how one can make noncompliant
antiques safe.

It's quite easy yuo just make them comply to the necessary safety
rules.

Like the vulcan bomber, remove the nuclear weapons and all weapons
and makew sure that no one can just jump in and take off in it it
is then consider safe, but it;s still an aircraft that can be seen
and viewed.

lol. How would you make a live chassis curtain burner safe then?

Use and isolating transformer, stupid.

I wanted to see if Dave had a clue. Thanks for ruining that.

He'd already mentioned them earlier on the thread.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'them.' Fitting an iso won't make such radios pass.

NT

Has anyone used pat Warners offset router base in the Dewalt DW621 or other router [email protected] Woodworking 15 July 10th 04 05:36 AM
Pat Warner online Magazine --Router articles WoodChuck34 Woodworking 4 April 9th 04 09:59 AM
PAT tester rental Alex H UK diy 1 March 31st 04 11:00 AM
Which PAT tester ? nick smith UK diy 3 February 11th 04 05:59 PM
Recomend a simple pat tester? R P McMurphy UK diy 3 October 21st 03 08:48 PM