Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My second Plusnet bill

Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2019 22:06, wrote:
Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg

As you've been billed over £16 for additional call charges, might it be
worth upgrading to any-time calls? It'd only cost an extra £4 a month
for anytime calls, including to mobiles.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 10:47:35 PM UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 09/03/2019 22:06, wrote:
Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg

As you've been billed over £16 for additional call charges, might it be
worth upgrading to any-time calls? It'd only cost an extra £4 a month
for anytime calls, including to mobiles.

SteveW

Problem is that the Mrs spent 1hr10min to her sister in Hull on one call which used to be untimed in KCOM land, but now racked up over £10!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I did this on Virgin, most operators offer this, however one issue seems to
be that some calls for no good reason seem not to always be included.
Too many different bloody number types around these days.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 09/03/2019 22:06,
wrote:
Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg

As you've been billed over £16 for additional call charges, might it be
worth upgrading to any-time calls? It'd only cost an extra £4 a month for
anytime calls, including to mobiles.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 March 2019 22:56:54 UTC, wrote:
Problem is that the Mrs spent 1hr10min to her sister in Hull on one
call which used to be untimed in KCOM land, but now racked up over £10!

Someone should make a device you can plug into a phone which makes a beep-beep-beep noise after 55 minutes.

Or wire the phone through a clockwork runback timer.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 03:57:15 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Saturday, 9 March 2019 22:56:54 UTC, wrote:
Problem is that the Mrs spent 1hr10min to her sister in Hull on one
call which used to be untimed in KCOM land, but now racked up over £10!

Someone should make a device you can plug into a phone which makes a
beep-beep-beep noise after 55 minutes.

I actually set up our Asterisk box to give 5 minute, 2 minute and 1
minute verbal warnings, before cutting off with 30 seconds to go!

Moving off the POTS line completely very soon, anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :
I did this on Virgin, most operators offer this, however one issue seems to
be that some calls for no good reason seem not to always be included.
Too many different bloody number types around these days.
Brian

Get a notebook and print out which calls are and are not included in
the free calls. Every ISP has a list you can print out. Plusnet's
package includes all the common numbers as part of the package free for
1 hour, then 2000 minutes of free calls to mobiles. I'm not sure
whether the mobile calls have a 1 hour limit or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg

As you've been billed over £16 for additional call charges, might it be
worth upgrading to any-time calls? It'd only cost an extra £4 a month
for anytime calls, including to mobiles.

SteveW

Problem is that the Mrs spent 1hr10min to her sister in Hull on one call
which used to be untimed in KCOM land, but now racked up over £10!

Skype

Makes more sense to have unlimited calls to any landline or mobile
in the country now. I get that for just $10/month on my mobile and
get unlimited texts and MMSs and 1GB of data too. Leaves the
landline service for dead and you can use it anywhere, with just
the one set of contacts and call history fully auto backed up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I did this on Virgin, most operators offer this, however one issue seems
to be that some calls for no good reason seem not to always be included.
Too many different bloody number types around these days.

Quite a few now do unlimited calls and texts and MMSs to any landline or
mobile in the country now with 1GB of data included with mobiles, for just
$10/month. And with a mobile it works anywhere, not just at home.

And you have just the one set of contacts, one call history
and its all fully backed up fully automatically as well.

On 09/03/2019 22:06, wrote:
Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg

As you've been billed over £16 for additional call charges, might it be
worth upgrading to any-time calls? It'd only cost an extra £4 a month for
anytime calls, including to mobiles.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Saturday, 9 March 2019 22:56:54 UTC, wrote:
Problem is that the Mrs spent 1hr10min to her sister in Hull on one
call which used to be untimed in KCOM land, but now racked up over £10!

Someone should make a device you can plug into a phone which makes a
beep-beep-beep noise after 55 minutes.

Any smartphone can do that.

Or wire the phone through a clockwork runback timer.

Dinosaur stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2019 22:06, wrote:
Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg

Why on earth do you pay for calls, voicemail and then some extra for
more calls (£20+/month)?

Get a £10 sim-free mobile, put one of these inside, and you can talk
24/7 for £6/month:

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/sim-...d-5&position=5

And it can even go with you everywhere you go if you so wish...

The only person I know in the world who pays for calls using their
landline in my father in law...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 07:20:17 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Makes more sense to

LOL! Senile Ozzietard knows it BETTER ...AGAIN!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:11:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:
..

Dinosaur stuff.

YOU certainly are, you projecting 85-year-old decrepit senile cretin!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 9:21:03 PM UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
On 09/03/2019 22:06, wrote:
Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg

Why on earth do you pay for calls, voicemail and then some extra for
more calls (£20+/month)?

Get a £10 sim-free mobile, put one of these inside, and you can talk
24/7 for £6/month:

I don't own a mobile phone and my wife's does not even pick up a signal in our house unless she goes upstairs. I need the landline for my laptop though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 07:39:07 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I did this on Virgin, most operators offer this, however one issue seems
to be that some calls for no good reason seem not to always be included.
Too many different bloody number types around these days.

Quite a few now do unlimited calls and texts and MMSs to any landline or
mobile in the country now with 1GB of data included with mobiles, for just
$10/month. And with a mobile it works anywhere, not just at home.

When will you finally pull your stupid senile head out of your wrinkled
senile arse, senile Rot?

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg

Why on earth do you pay for calls, voicemail and then some extra for
more calls (£20+/month)?

Get a £10 sim-free mobile, put one of these inside, and you can talk
24/7 for £6/month:

I don't own a mobile phone

That sounds very ludditish.

and my wife's does not even pick up a signal in our house unless she goes upstairs.

Have you checked other mobile providers?

I need the landline for my laptop though.

That depends on the speed and data you truly need. There are a number of
mobile contracts that can virtually match a landline, perhaps not fibre
broadband though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 10:32:10 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

I don't own a mobile phone

That sounds very ludditish.

Not really - I have never needed one for anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 10:32:10 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

I don't own a mobile phone

That sounds very ludditish.

Not really

Yes, really.

I have never needed one for anything.

Bull****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 09:54:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Not really

Yes, really.

Only in your retarded senile "mind", you brainless consuming asshole!

I have never needed one for anything.

Bull****.

That's what you keep spouting here every day, you abnormal senile Ozzie
pest!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:10:29 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, ...

You must be lucky and have a useable signal anywhere indoors and the
places you go. Upstairs bya window on the right side of the house we
have a useable mobile signal. Go 50 yds down the road there is zilch
on any network.

I do have a mobile, it's setuo to automatically divert to a VOIP
number when it's at home. Be aware that many mobile operators do not
allow customer controlled call forwarding. even using the * codes.
Being able to * code divert to voicemail doesn't mean you can * code
divert to another number.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 22:32:07 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

That depends on the speed and data you truly need. There are a number of
mobile contracts that can virtually match a landline, perhaps not fibre
broadband though.

The speed available is more dependant on the network being used than
contract. The contract needs to be "4G" but most are these days. Then
you need to find out which networks offer useable 4G service where
you want it. 4G here on EE runs at 30 Mbps+ (throughput) some what
faster than the 5 Mbps maximum that the landline can provide. The
line does go through a cabinet, at the exchange which is so far away
they don't even market FTTC to us.

3 offer 4G, Vodfone is 3G, O2 2G!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 10:54:36 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 10:32:10 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

I don't own a mobile phone

That sounds very ludditish.

Not really

Yes, really.

I have never needed one for anything.

Bull****.

The ONLY time I needed one was when I broke down in Bavaria and had to ring the AA. Mrs had a brand new Samsung Galaxy, but did not know how to swipe the screen to answer their return call.

Luckily, I was parked in a Shell station, walked into the shop and borrowed their landline phone. That was in 2015 and was the last time I could have used one. Since then, I have used petrol stations' WiFi to access the internet and e-mail with my Acer Aspire notebook.

Mrs M uses her Galaxy to text our daughters on occasions though, but is always moaning about the number of unidentified calls she gets from spam companies and texts that seem to steal her money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 11:10:31 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

However in a modern age it is normal to have a mobile phone, in much the
same way you would have a washing machine and an oven. You are of course
free to live in the past.

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, where just a couple of calls on
your sat-phone would cost as much as all mine in a month.

Why DO I need a mobile phone and for what though?
I have a landline for making calls and a laptop for e-mails.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:50:24 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:10:29 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, ...

You must be lucky and have a useable signal anywhere indoors and the
places you go. Upstairs bya window on the right side of the house we
have a useable mobile signal. Go 50 yds down the road there is zilch
on any network.

Like I have always said - even as a 'phone they are next to useless, never mind for GPS and watching TV.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 10:01:26 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 22:32:07 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

That depends on the speed and data you truly need. There are a number of
mobile contracts that can virtually match a landline, perhaps not fibre
broadband though.

The speed available is more dependant on the network being used than
contract. The contract needs to be "4G" but most are these days. Then
you need to find out which networks offer useable 4G service where
you want it. 4G here on EE runs at 30 Mbps+ (throughput) some what
faster than the 5 Mbps maximum that the landline can provide. The
line does go through a cabinet, at the exchange which is so far away
they don't even market FTTC to us.

3 offer 4G, Vodfone is 3G, O2 2G!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Here is my Plusnet speed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1X2ruTWoAA8aVB.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 11:10:31 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

However in a modern age it is normal to have a mobile phone, in much
the same way you would have a washing machine and an oven. You are of
course free to live in the past.

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, where just a couple of calls on
your sat-phone would cost as much as all mine in a month.

Why DO I need a mobile phone and for what though?
I have a landline for making calls and a laptop for e-mails.

You should get out more

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:50:24 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:10:29 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, ...

You must be lucky and have a useable signal anywhere indoors and the
places you go. Upstairs bya window on the right side of the house we
have a useable mobile signal. Go 50 yds down the road there is zilch on
any network.

Like I have always said - even as a 'phone they are next to useless,
never mind for GPS and watching TV.

I can't get a signal indoors - except beside the window of our spare
bedroom. So, I bought a Vodaphone Sure Signal device which allows me &
others to use the phone indoors - via the internet.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:50:24 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:10:29 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, ...

You must be lucky and have a useable signal anywhere indoors and the
places you go. Upstairs bya window on the right side of the house we
have a useable mobile signal. Go 50 yds down the road there is zilch on
any network.

Like I have always said - even as a 'phone they are next to useless,
never mind for GPS and watching TV.

I can't get a signal indoors - except beside the window of our spare
bedroom. So, I bought a Vodaphone Sure Signal device which allows me &
others to use the phone indoors - via the internet.

That's good, but not as a standby Internet service!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Fredxx wrote

I don't own a mobile phone

That sounds very ludditish.

Not really

Yes, really.

I have never needed one for anything.

Bull****.

The ONLY time I needed one was when I broke down
in Bavaria and had to ring the AA. Mrs had a brand
new Samsung Galaxy, but did not know how to
swipe the screen to answer their return call.

Thats bull**** too. You must have needed to work out
where to eat or stay and could have used your smartphone
to see whats local and see which looked like worth trying
if you werent such a dinosaur. Instead, you had to waddle
off in person, dragging your immense wheeled bin stuffed
with all those dedicated satnavs and cameras etc.

Luckily, I was parked in a Shell station, walked into
the shop and borrowed their landline phone. That
was in 2015 and was the last time I could have used
one. Since then, I have used petrol stations' WiFi to access
the internet and e-mail with my Acer Aspire notebook.

And that isnt viable when walking around some foreign town.
If you had enough of a clue to have a decent smartphone,
you could just take it out of your pocket and use it.

Mrs M uses her Galaxy to text our daughters on occasions though,
but is always moaning about the number of unidentified calls she
gets from spam companies and texts that seem to steal her money.

Clearly luddites marry luddites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 11:10:31 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

However in a modern age it is normal to have a mobile phone, in much the
same way you would have a washing machine and an oven. You are of course
free to live in the past.

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, where just a couple of calls on
your sat-phone would cost as much as all mine in a month.

Why DO I need a mobile phone and for what though?
I have a landline for making calls and a laptop for e-mails.

For what you need to do when not at home, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:50:24 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:10:29 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, ...

You must be lucky and have a useable signal anywhere indoors and the
places you go. Upstairs bya window on the right side of the house we
have a useable mobile signal. Go 50 yds down the road there is zilch
on any network.

Like I have always said - even as a 'phone they are next to useless,

Just another of your silly little luddite fantasys.

never mind for GPS

Just another of your silly little luddite fantasys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 2:20:24 PM UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:50:24 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:10:29 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, ...

You must be lucky and have a useable signal anywhere indoors and the
places you go. Upstairs bya window on the right side of the house we
have a useable mobile signal. Go 50 yds down the road there is zilch on
any network.

Like I have always said - even as a 'phone they are next to useless,
never mind for GPS and watching TV.

I can't get a signal indoors - except beside the window of our spare
bedroom. So, I bought a Vodaphone Sure Signal device which allows me &
others to use the phone indoors - via the internet.

If you watch "Can't Pay, Won't Pay" there are many occasions where the person tries to pay their debt using a card reader, only for there to be no mobile signal, so the enforcers have to drive up country lanes in their van until they can get one bar!

Bloody useless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1P7-n7X0AE3puS.jpg

Why on earth do you pay for calls, voicemail and then some extra for
more calls (£20+/month)?

Get a £10 sim-free mobile, put one of these inside, and you can talk
24/7 for £6/month:

I don't own a mobile phone

That sounds very ludditish.

and my wife's does not even pick up a signal in our house unless she
goes upstairs.

Have you checked other mobile providers?

I need the landline for my laptop though.

That depends on the speed and data you truly need. There are a number of
mobile contracts that can virtually match a landline, perhaps not fibre
broadband though.

We currently get 40Mb/s on FTTC. While some mobile networks can match
that, they wouldn't allow the data volume (slowing down with high useage
or not allowing tethering at all on unlimited packages) - my eldest son
watches a lot of Netflix and also downloads numerous varieties of OS to
try. One month he managed 450GB by himself!

SteveW

OT any other Plusnet broadband users having trouble today? newshound UK diy 9 February 9th 19 12:04 PM
Broadband Plusnet v Broadband mark UK diy 36 September 23rd 15 09:19 AM
Plusnet Capitol UK diy 6 July 26th 15 08:24 AM
Plusnet and Forte Agent combination. Losing headers Mike Halmarack UK diy 12 March 27th 06 11:13 AM
What is a second operation lathe? Matthew Metalworking 8 January 19th 04 03:45 PM