Old March 10th 19, 10:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My second Plusnet bill

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 10:32:10 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

I don't own a mobile phone

That sounds very ludditish.

Not really - I have never needed one for anything.

Old March 10th 19, 10:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 10:32:10 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

I don't own a mobile phone

That sounds very ludditish.

Not really

Yes, really.

I have never needed one for anything.

Bull****.

Old March 10th 19, 11:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 09:54:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Not really

Yes, really.

Only in your retarded senile "mind", you brainless consuming asshole!

I have never needed one for anything.

Bull****.

That's what you keep spouting here every day, you abnormal senile Ozzie
pest!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Old March 11th 19, 09:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:10:29 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, ...

You must be lucky and have a useable signal anywhere indoors and the
places you go. Upstairs bya window on the right side of the house we
have a useable mobile signal. Go 50 yds down the road there is zilch
on any network.

I do have a mobile, it's setuo to automatically divert to a VOIP
number when it's at home. Be aware that many mobile operators do not
allow customer controlled call forwarding. even using the * codes.
Being able to * code divert to voicemail doesn't mean you can * code
divert to another number.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old March 11th 19, 10:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 22:32:07 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

That depends on the speed and data you truly need. There are a number of
mobile contracts that can virtually match a landline, perhaps not fibre
broadband though.

The speed available is more dependant on the network being used than
contract. The contract needs to be "4G" but most are these days. Then
you need to find out which networks offer useable 4G service where
you want it. 4G here on EE runs at 30 Mbps+ (throughput) some what
faster than the 5 Mbps maximum that the landline can provide. The
line does go through a cabinet, at the exchange which is so far away
they don't even market FTTC to us.

3 offer 4G, Vodfone is 3G, O2 2G!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old March 11th 19, 10:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 10:54:36 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 10:32:10 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

I don't own a mobile phone

That sounds very ludditish.

Not really

Yes, really.

I have never needed one for anything.

Bull****.

The ONLY time I needed one was when I broke down in Bavaria and had to ring the AA. Mrs had a brand new Samsung Galaxy, but did not know how to swipe the screen to answer their return call.

Luckily, I was parked in a Shell station, walked into the shop and borrowed their landline phone. That was in 2015 and was the last time I could have used one. Since then, I have used petrol stations' WiFi to access the internet and e-mail with my Acer Aspire notebook.

Mrs M uses her Galaxy to text our daughters on occasions though, but is always moaning about the number of unidentified calls she gets from spam companies and texts that seem to steal her money.
Old March 11th 19, 10:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 11:10:31 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

However in a modern age it is normal to have a mobile phone, in much the
same way you would have a washing machine and an oven. You are of course
free to live in the past.

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, where just a couple of calls on
your sat-phone would cost as much as all mine in a month.

Why DO I need a mobile phone and for what though?
I have a landline for making calls and a laptop for e-mails.
Old March 11th 19, 10:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:50:24 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 23:10:29 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, ...

You must be lucky and have a useable signal anywhere indoors and the
places you go. Upstairs bya window on the right side of the house we
have a useable mobile signal. Go 50 yds down the road there is zilch
on any network.

Like I have always said - even as a 'phone they are next to useless, never mind for GPS and watching TV.
Old March 11th 19, 10:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 10:01:26 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 22:32:07 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

That depends on the speed and data you truly need. There are a number of
mobile contracts that can virtually match a landline, perhaps not fibre
broadband though.

The speed available is more dependant on the network being used than
contract. The contract needs to be "4G" but most are these days. Then
you need to find out which networks offer useable 4G service where
you want it. 4G here on EE runs at 30 Mbps+ (throughput) some what
faster than the 5 Mbps maximum that the landline can provide. The
line does go through a cabinet, at the exchange which is so far away
they don't even market FTTC to us.

3 offer 4G, Vodfone is 3G, O2 2G!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Here is my Plusnet speed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1X2ruTWoAA8aVB.jpg

OT any other Plusnet broadband users having trouble today? newshound UK diy 9 February 9th 19 12:04 PM
Broadband Plusnet v Broadband mark UK diy 36 September 23rd 15 09:19 AM
Plusnet Capitol UK diy 6 July 26th 15 08:24 AM
Plusnet and Forte Agent combination. Losing headers Mike Halmarack UK diy 12 March 27th 06 11:13 AM
What is a second operation lathe? Matthew Metalworking 8 January 19th 04 03:45 PM