Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete screws into breeze block

Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or
will I have to use a rawlplug?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mal mal is offline

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 13:57:16 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or
will I have to use a rawlplug?

Pretty good actually.

If you follow the instructions you will see no mention of a rawlplug.
they have their drawbacks but ill never go back to plugs and screws if
i can use concrete screws they are very firm and hold huge loads but
you must follow the instructions.

Malc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or
will I have to use a rawlplug?

Pretty good actually.

If you follow the instructions you will see no mention of a rawlplug.
they have their drawbacks but ill never go back to plugs and screws if
i can use concrete screws they are very firm and hold huge loads but
you must follow the instructions.

Malc

Thank you. I have not seen as many instructions as I would like. I think
that for a 7.5mm screw you have to drill a 6mm hole. One video I found
said the screw had to go about 1.5" into the hole, another said 50mm.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mal mal is offline

wrote:

Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or
will I have to use a rawlplug?

Pretty good actually.

If you follow the instructions you will see no mention of a rawlplug.
they have their drawbacks but ill never go back to plugs and screws if
i can use concrete screws they are very firm and hold huge loads but
you must follow the instructions.

Malc

Thank you. I have not seen as many instructions as I would like. I think
that for a 7.5mm screw you have to drill a 6mm hole. One video I found
said the screw had to go about 1.5" into the hole, another said 50mm.

Its simply what size drill and they go to great lengths to tell you to
blow the hole free of dust. Mine also said that you should use an
impact driver but when i did the torkx bits kept snapping. I used
screws the full depth of the breezeblock i didnt see the point in
going less because i needed them for a load with a lot of weight and
leverage.

Malc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or
will I have to use a rawlplug?

Pretty good actually.

If you follow the instructions you will see no mention of a rawlplug.
they have their drawbacks but ill never go back to plugs and screws if
i can use concrete screws they are very firm and hold huge loads but
you must follow the instructions.

Malc

Thank you. I have not seen as many instructions as I would like. I think
that for a 7.5mm screw you have to drill a 6mm hole. One video I found
said the screw had to go about 1.5" into the hole, another said 50mm.

1.75" it is then?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

wrote:

Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or
will I have to use a rawlplug?

Pretty good actually.

If you follow the instructions you will see no mention of a rawlplug.
they have their drawbacks but ill never go back to plugs and screws if
i can use concrete screws they are very firm and hold huge loads but
you must follow the instructions.

Malc

Agreed. Use them all the time.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2019 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or
will I have to use a rawlplug?

Is it a breeze block or something softer like Thermalite?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From my experience nothing grips very well in that stuff, but like many
things there is Breeze block and breeze block. some is quite dense, while
other stuff seems internally to be, indeed mostly breeze!
IE lots of holes.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Michael Chare" wrote in message
Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or will
I have to use a rawlplug?

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I had been wondering why no one had checked if these were old style
breeze blocks made from cinders and clinker (and any old rubbish).
Unless it's only me who still meets them.

On 10/03/2019 08:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
From my experience nothing grips very well in that stuff, but like many
things there is Breeze block and breeze block. some is quite dense, while
other stuff seems internally to be, indeed mostly breeze!
IE lots of holes.

Brian

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My understanding is that the term "Breeze block" refers to the type made mainly of cinders, whereas a concrete block is well, a concrete block. I think I would be wary of using concrete bolts/screws in the cinder blocks owing to the point Brian made about gaps in the block and they tend to be more friable. A Thermalite although soft enough to almost make a hole with your finger may well take a concrete screw, if I remember correctly one manufacturer (Plas Plugs I think) made plastic wall plugs with a coarse thread that you screwed into the block before pushing in a locking pin. As concrete screws have a coarse thread they may well hold though I do not think you will be able to do much adjustment before the hole loses any threading.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 10:04, Tricky Dicky wrote:
My understanding is that the term "Breeze block" refers to the type
made mainly of cinders, whereas a concrete block is well, a concrete
block.

What then do you calls thermalite as?

In my mind there are at least three types - concrete, breeze, and foamed
lightweight block.

I think I would be wary of using concrete bolts/screws in the
cinder blocks owing to the point Brian made about gaps in the block
and they tend to be more friable. A Thermalite although soft enough
to almost make a hole with your finger may well take a concrete
screw, if I remember correctly one manufacturer (Plas Plugs I think)
made plastic wall plugs with a coarse thread that you screwed into
the block before pushing in a locking pin. As concrete screws have a
coarse thread they may well hold though I do not think you will be
able to do much adjustment before the hole loses any threading.

Richard

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 03:04:20 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky wrote:

My understanding is that the term "Breeze block" refers to the type made
mainly of cinders, whereas a concrete block is well, a concrete block. I
think I would be wary of using concrete bolts/screws in the cinder blocks
owing to the point Brian made about gaps in the block and they tend to be
more friable. A Thermalite although soft enough to almost make a hole
with your finger may well take a concrete screw, if I remember correctly
one manufacturer (Plas Plugs I think) made plastic wall plugs with a
coarse thread that you screwed into the block before pushing in a locking
pin. As concrete screws have a coarse thread they may well hold though I
do not think you will be able to do much adjustment before the hole loses
any threading.

Richard

My first encounter with Thermalite was in the '70s. Hole, plug, screw, crack
running both up and down, through the mortar and the adjacent blocks. Hated
the stuff ever since.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My first encounter with Thermalite was in the '70s. Hole, plug, screw, crack
running both up and down, through the mortar and the adjacent blocks. Hated
the stuff ever since.

My first encounter with them was also in the seventies the guy we bought our first house from and a neighbour used some lightweight concrete blocks bizzarly a mixture of wood chips and concrete to build garden walls then wondered why the blocks disintegrated, the neighbour told me they were Thermalite.

The second house had a garage and kitchen extension built and the internal walls were the traditional grey Thermalite stamped version (spit). The only anchors that worked effectively and crucially allowed you undo the screw without loosening the fixing were made by Fischer. They were a nylon plug with four helical vanes down the side in a slow spiral that had to be hammered into a pilot hole, could sometimes be a problem near a mortar line but generally an excellent fixing. I note they are no longer made but instead Fisher recommend their universal plugs for aerated concrete, don't know how effective they are not having any Thermalite in our current house.

I also experienced your cracking problem when two Mr. Men installed a roller door at the previous garage, I told them not use hammer action on their drills, no they knew better, twice as many holes later they finally managed to get some sound fixings in place.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 03:12, Bill Wright wrote:
On 09/03/2019 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block, or
will I have to use a rawlplug?

Is it a breeze block or something softer like Thermalite?

Bill

There is breeze block, made from some sort of industrial clinker, but
not since about the 1950's. Then there are concrete blocks which come in
various densities although I think "medium density" is the one found
most often in domestic situations. IIRC high density is recommended
below ground level. Then there are the lightweight blocks like
thermalite. Easily recognised by their weight and the fact that they can
almost be scratched with a thumbnail.

Breeze block could be quite difficult to drill.

Concrete screws should be fine in medium density concrete. They won't
have much strength in thermalite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2019 14:12, PeterC wrote:

My first encounter with Thermalite was in the '70s. Hole, plug, screw, crack
running both up and down, through the mortar and the adjacent blocks. Hated
the stuff ever since.

I hate it too.

Even good plugs seem to need araldite to stop them spinning.

I have to hang a cistern on one such wall soon. nLast time I did this,
it was resin 6mm (IIRC) stainless stud 3.5" deep into the wall.

That requires perfect alighnment which I did with a bit of 2x4" wood as
a jig.

Not looking forward to doing it again. Wondering this time if to make up
a metal plate intermediate bracket...

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 16:17:05 UTC, newshound wrote:
[...]

Lightweight blocks now are AAC.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 March 2019 21:55:51 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 10/03/2019 18:48, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

AAC?

Autoclaved aerated concrete

They get their properties from the glass spheres formed from Pulverised
Fuel Ash from coal fired power stations. Presumably they are still
mining the lagoons at closed UK plant, but will we end up importing it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin writes:

Yes, I had been wondering why no one had checked if these
were old style breeze blocks made from cinders and clinker
(and any old rubbish). Unless it's only me who still meets
them.

Not only you. The upstairs internal partitions in our house are
made of the stuff. Horrible dirty stuff, and unexpectedly thin as I
discovered to my embarrassment when sinking a deep backbox for a
shaver socket.
--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

Do concrete screws grip properly when inserted into breeze block

My house has 60's breeze blocks (that take quite a bit of chiselling
when you need to chase into them, unlike the modern lightweight blocks
you can scratch with a fingernail).

When altering a stud partition wall, I used some 6" concrete screws at
the stud/block junction ... no problems, the bottom plate of the wall
was also screwed down into the concrete floor with the same screws; but
the top plate was screwed up into the first floor joists, so not
entirely dependant on the concrete screws into blocks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 4:44:27 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/03/2019 14:12, PeterC wrote:

My first encounter with Thermalite was in the '70s. Hole, plug, screw, crack
running both up and down, through the mortar and the adjacent blocks. Hated
the stuff ever since.

I hate it too.

Even good plugs seem to need araldite to stop them spinning.

I have to hang a cistern on one such wall soon. nLast time I did this,
it was resin 6mm (IIRC) stainless stud 3.5" deep into the wall.

That requires perfect alighnment which I did with a bit of 2x4" wood as
a jig.

Not looking forward to doing it again. Wondering this time if to make up
a metal plate intermediate bracket...

Hanging radiators on thermalite blocks, I replaced some plasterboard with plywood (fixed with quite a few screw/plugs) and screwed the radiator brackets onto that.

Other trick if the bracket has more that one screw is to put then screws in at diverging angles. That way the pullout force is at an angle to the screws - you have a sort of "wedge" action.

On my extension I used the slightly denser 7N AAC blocks as the "normal" ones seemed SO flimsy.

Simon.