Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge light upgrade.

The SES 15W incandescent lamp went (possibly for the second time) in
our fridge and I wondered if they did an LED replacement.

It seems they do and I picked one up from Homebase:

https://www.homebase.co.uk/tcp-led-f...t-bulb_p479971

(It seems Cooker hood / Fridge lamps are the same thing).

I'd say that as long as it doesn't suffer from being / run at that
sort of temperature (fridge in this case) it doesn't seem to be
expensive for much more light, less heat (good in a fridge) and a
longer lifespan?

It is quite a bit longer than the lamp it replaced but the fitting
seemed to accommodate it easily. It wouldn't take a SES LED candle
lamp.

Assuming it lasts, I'd recommend it as a general upgrade option. Loads
more light with much less heat and hopefully, longer lasting?

OOI, do any fridges come with LED lights as std these days?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

do any fridges come with LED lights as std these days?

Yes, parents' Bosch fridge has LEDs, I think the beam is delivered
through a light-pipe arrangement ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 08/03/2019 13:28, T i m wrote:
[...]

Yep replaced the incandescent with an led lamp in our old Hotpoint.
Lasted at least 4 years and was still working when the FF failed for
other reasons. That was a standard ses golfball though if that has any
bearing.

ISTR there was an opinion that it might be an issue with mechanical
fridge thermostats?

And yes our new Samsung comes with a 3*led chip lamp. The light output
is utter crap though, you'd think they could engineer a better lamp -
given they make enough lcd backlights
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 13:28:46 +0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

Mine requires the light to be left on continuously if the ambient
temperature falls below 5 degrees. There is a switch to do this. This
is to introduce heat to activate the compressor. An LED light would
be totally unsuitable as it would not provide enough heat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 13:32:23 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

do any fridges come with LED lights as std these days?

Yes, parents' Bosch fridge has LEDs, I think the beam is delivered
through a light-pipe arrangement ...

Cool. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 13:55:33 +0000, Lee
wrote:

snip

OOI, do any fridges come with LED lights as std these days?

Yep replaced the incandescent with an led lamp in our old Hotpoint.
Lasted at least 4 years and was still working when the FF failed for
other reasons. That was a standard ses golfball though if that has any
bearing.

I think the design of the lamp I linked to possibly better suits
'sideways' light emissions?

ISTR there was an opinion that it might be an issue with mechanical
fridge thermostats?

Ok?

And yes our new Samsung comes with a 3*led chip lamp. The light output
is utter crap though, you'd think they could engineer a better lamp -
given they make enough lcd backlights

You would eh. Sometimes they need to stick to what they know?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 14:06:37 +0000, Scott
wrote:

snip

OOI, do any fridges come with LED lights as std these days?

Mine requires the light to be left on continuously if the ambient
temperature falls below 5 degrees. There is a switch to do this.

Oooerr.

This
is to introduce heat to activate the compressor. An LED light would
be totally unsuitable as it would not provide enough heat.

I wonder how many fridges have / do that?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 14:32:44 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 14:06:37 +0000, Scott
wrote:

snip

OOI, do any fridges come with LED lights as std these days?

Mine requires the light to be left on continuously if the ambient
temperature falls below 5 degrees. There is a switch to do this.

Oooerr.

This
is to introduce heat to activate the compressor. An LED light would
be totally unsuitable as it would not provide enough heat.

I wonder how many fridges have / do that?

Not mine, but here is an example:
https://home.liebherr.com/en/gbr/ser...-light-1-start
'The interior light of the refrigerator is lit (with half strength)
even when the door is closed.
Possible solution: Some pre LED models use the interior light bulb in
low ambient temperatures where the freezing capacity can be
insufficient in the freezer compartment. The interior light is
controlled through the electronic control system or by activating the
CoolPlus switch which runs the light at half strength. This ensures
operation of the freezer compartment at the correct temperature.'

If yours works in this way then maybe you cannot use an LED bulb.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Somebody told me theirs is a kind of strip of leds down one side, so I'd
assume its been done as it does not use as much or get as warm.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
T i m wrote:

do any fridges come with LED lights as std these days?

Yes, parents' Bosch fridge has LEDs, I think the beam is delivered through
a light-pipe arrangement ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 14:06:37 +0000, Scott

snip

Confuses the **** out of Schrödinger's cat.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 15:18:26 GMT, Pamela
wrote:

On 13:28 8 Mar 2019, T i m wrote:

The SES 15W incandescent lamp went (possibly for the second time) in
our fridge and I wondered if they did an LED replacement.

It seems they do and I picked one up from Homebase:

https://www.homebase.co.uk/tcp-led-f...w-cooker-hood-
light-bulb_p479971

(It seems Cooker hood / Fridge lamps are the same thing).

I'd say that as long as it doesn't suffer from being / run at that
sort of temperature (fridge in this case) it doesn't seem to be
expensive for much more light, less heat (good in a fridge) and a
longer lifespan?

It is quite a bit longer than the lamp it replaced but the fitting
seemed to accommodate it easily. It wouldn't take a SES LED candle
lamp.

Assuming it lasts, I'd recommend it as a general upgrade option. Loads
more light with much less heat and hopefully, longer lasting?

OOI, do any fridges come with LED lights as std these days?

Cheers, T i m

My fridge-freezer was playing up badly (no cooling at medium settings). I
finally replaced the blown bulb and all was well again.

The replacement is a lovely bright LED which seems to have restored the
thermostat circuit back to normal.

That's odd because if I replaced the bulb with an LED the fridge would
not work properly in the winter. I know because when I have forgotten
to switch the interior light to continuous, stuff in the freezing
compartment starts to defrost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:

do any fridges come with LED lights as std these days?

Yes, parents' Bosch fridge has LEDs, I think the beam is delivered
through a light-pipe arrangement ...

Cool. ;-)

I should hope so...

Yes, that was the thought ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 15:09:29 +0000, Scott
wrote:

snip

Some pre LED models use the interior light bulb in
low ambient temperatures where the freezing capacity can be
insufficient in the freezer compartment.

So ... if you don't have a freezer compartment, you aren't likely to
use the lamp as some form of heater?

Cheers,T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 16:03:40 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 15:09:29 +0000, Scott
wrote:

snip

Some pre LED models use the interior light bulb in
low ambient temperatures where the freezing capacity can be
insufficient in the freezer compartment.

So ... if you don't have a freezer compartment, you aren't likely to
use the lamp as some form of heater?

No, I understood that the compressor stopped running below the minimum
ambient temperature affecting the whole operation of the fridge, just
that the freezer compartment was the most conspicuous example.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 16:08:38 +0000, Scott
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 16:03:40 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 15:09:29 +0000, Scott
wrote:

snip

Some pre LED models use the interior light bulb in
low ambient temperatures where the freezing capacity can be
insufficient in the freezer compartment.

So ... if you don't have a freezer compartment, you aren't likely to
use the lamp as some form of heater?

No, I understood that the compressor stopped running below the minimum
ambient temperature affecting the whole operation of the fridge, just
that the freezer compartment was the most conspicuous example.

PS see https://howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=99803
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13:28 8 Mar 2019, T i m wrote:

[...]

I think I was probably lucky the impedance of the 3W LED replacement was
enough to complete the circuit correctly.

Originally there was a 15W pigmy bulb which was replaced with this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LXACAOU/

But if your fridge requires heat when operating at low ambient
temperature, an LED won't provide it. See link elsewhere in thread.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 16:14:28 +0000, Scott
wrote:
snip

So ... if you don't have a freezer compartment, you aren't likely to
use the lamp as some form of heater?

No, I understood that the compressor stopped running below the minimum
ambient temperature affecting the whole operation of the fridge, just
that the freezer compartment was the most conspicuous example.

PS see https://howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=99803

And does this still relate to just fridges, or fridge freezers (with a
single thermostat / compressor)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds a bit odd if the lamp and the thermostat are linked. problem waiting
to happen if they rely on a bulb as a ref or something.
Brian

--
----- --

wrote:

On 13:28 8 Mar 2019, T i m wrote:

[...]

I saw that but my fridge-freezer doesn't need that sort of heat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

So ... if you don't have a freezer compartment, you aren't likely to
use the lamp as some form of heater?

No, I understood that the compressor stopped running below the minimum
ambient temperature affecting the whole operation of the fridge, just
that the freezer compartment was the most conspicuous example.

PS see https://howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=99803

And does this still relate to just fridges, or fridge freezers (with a
single thermostat / compressor)?

I honestly don't know. Mine is a fridge freezer but the light is in
the fridge compartment. I assume the same principle applies to
fridges and freezers as both are doing the same job.

We need someone who knows about thermodynamics. Anyone out there?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 08:13:00 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Sounds a bit odd if the lamp and the thermostat are linked. problem waiting
to happen if they rely on a bulb as a ref or something.
Brian

Exactly. Mine is manually operated with a switch. If I forget to
turn this on in cold conditions the food in the freezer goes soft. I
promise you all it is true.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

So ... if you don't have a freezer compartment, you aren't likely to
use the lamp as some form of heater?

No, I understood that the compressor stopped running below the minimum
ambient temperature affecting the whole operation of the fridge, just
that the freezer compartment was the most conspicuous example.

PS see https://howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=99803

And does this still relate to just fridges, or fridge freezers (with a
single thermostat / compressor)?

I honestly don't know. Mine is a fridge freezer but the light is in
the fridge compartment. I assume the same principle applies to
fridges and freezers as both are doing the same job.

I think the issue is limited to fridge freezers or fridges with
freezer boxes and that only have one compressor / thermostat
controlling both. eg, If the fridge is in an environment where it's
already below the normal working temperature (a cold garage in the
winter), the stat (in the fridge) wouldn't call the compressor to run
and so the freezer (/box) would therefore defrost as *it* needs to be
at a much lower temperature (or summat). ;-)

We need someone who knows about thermodynamics. Anyone out there?

I think it's more to do with the fridge / freezer and compromise of
design (when used in extreme conditions).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Sounds a bit odd if the lamp and the thermostat are linked. problem waiting
to happen if they rely on a bulb as a ref or something.

I believe many vehicle charging systems relied on the presence of the
ignition lamp to provide excitation to the dynamo (/alternator?).

I know my BMW motorbikes do.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks. It sounds like you know more about it than I do. I am
relying on user experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 13:05:43 +0000, Scott
wrote:

snip

We need someone who knows about thermodynamics. Anyone out there?

I think it's more to do with the fridge / freezer and compromise of
design (when used in extreme conditions).

Thanks. It sounds like you know more about it than I do.

Only what I read from your links. ;-)

I am
relying on user experience.

And I can't as I've never had a fridge with such needs (or a fridge
freezer for that matter, let alone one left out in the cold). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 13:28 8 Mar 2019, T i m wrote:

[...]

None of my standalone freezers have a light and work fine in the winter
even when in unheated rooms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 11:42:52 +0000, Pamela wrote:

On 08:13 9 Mar 2019, Brian Gaff wrote:

Sounds a bit odd if the lamp and the thermostat are linked. problem
waiting to happen if they rely on a bulb as a ref or something.
Brian

It is odd isn't it and that's why I never suspected the cause of the
failing fridge freezer. It nearly got thrown out because setting the
thermostat about half way would cause the condensor to stop after a day
or so and the entire contents of the freezer would defrost.

That's why I got some wireless fridge feezer thermometers to provide an
alarm when this happened. I would then put the stat to max and let
everything freeze down.

The interior bulb was blown in a way that on ocassion it would light up
and I wonder if that was a loose filament which intermittently improved
the circuit function.

Never mind, a new bulb cured everything and the fridge freezer now works
perfectly as well as being well illuminated!

I 'pushed the boat out' and spent about 4 quid on a pair of 1.8W ses
pygmy lamps a few months ago to replace the 15W tungsten bulbs in our
under counter fridge and the chest freezer[1]. It never occurred to me
that they could be used to compensate for extremely cold ambient
temperature operation. In both cases, there wasn't any sign of a 'Low
Ambient' switch to keep them lit for such a purpose so isn't a potential
problem that, in this case, won't arise since our kitchen never gets any
colder than 15 deg C anyway.

[1] I did it because I could and was curious as to whether it would offer
any improvement in lighting and reliability rather than because of the
minuscule savings to be made in electricity consumption.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Sounds a bit odd if the lamp and the thermostat are linked. problem
waiting to happen if they rely on a bulb as a ref or something.

Yeah, bet she is having a massive brain fart, again.

wrote:

On 13:28 8 Mar 2019, T i m wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

So ... if you don't have a freezer compartment, you aren't likely to
use the lamp as some form of heater?

No, I understood that the compressor stopped running below the minimum
ambient temperature affecting the whole operation of the fridge, just
that the freezer compartment was the most conspicuous example.

PS see https://howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=99803

And does this still relate to just fridges, or fridge freezers (with a
single thermostat / compressor)?

I honestly don't know. Mine is a fridge freezer but the light is in
the fridge compartment. I assume the same principle applies to
fridges and freezers as both are doing the same job.

We need someone who knows about thermodynamics. Anyone out there?

Its got nothing to do with thermodynamics. Its just that with a very low
room temp, there isnt enough heat leaking in past the insulation to see
the compressor keep being needed. With the light on, the heat from
that eventually sees the thermostat decide to turn the compressor on
because the fridge internal temp has got above the room temp.
With no separate thermostat for freezer section.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Sounds a bit odd if the lamp and the thermostat are linked. problem
waiting
to happen if they rely on a bulb as a ref or something.

I believe many vehicle charging systems relied on the presence of the
ignition lamp to provide excitation to the dynamo (/alternator?).

I know my BMW motorbikes do.

But fridge freezers don't have a dynamo or alternator, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 16:15:34 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I believe many vehicle charging systems relied on the presence of the
ignition lamp to provide excitation to the dynamo (/alternator?).

I know my BMW motorbikes do.

But fridge freezers don't have a dynamo or alternator, stupid.

He was talking about vehicles, you obnoxious senile pest!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 15:50:00 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Sounds a bit odd if the lamp and the thermostat are linked. problem
waiting to happen if they rely on a bulb as a ref or something.

Yeah, bet she is having a massive brain fart, again.

We KNOW that YOU are having one again, you senile old fart!

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 14:41:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

You are one ****ed up senile auto-contradictor indeed, senile Rot! tsk

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"