Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default firefox

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else can I
use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 15:33:57 -0000, "Only ever had ONE class A Callsign
...." wrote:

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else can I
use?

You should be able to use Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release). I
think 52.9.0 is the last version that supports XP.

You won't be able to update it, but it should work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..." wrote:

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else can I
use?

Comodo IceDragon is similar and is based on the same browser engine as
FF, but whether it works on Win XP I don't know. Worth a try though, I
would think.

Firefox is fine here with XP as is SeaMonkey which also offers
integrated mail and news
Posted to uk.d-i-y

...." wrote:

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else can I
use?

Windows 10 :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-03-07 11:20 a.m., Tim Streater wrote:

..." wrote:

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what
else can I use?

Windows 10 :-)

is ****e and not a joke. Win7 is much better.

when all you do is usenet does it matter ,
sometimes i post on a 386 with windows 3.1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Firefox 45 or earlier. All the current versions after 52 are incompatible
and you need a multicore processor to run firefox after version 45. Its all
in the docs.

There is very little choice these days as Chrome no longer supports XP. If
you attempt to load in an older version it won't.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Only ever had ONE class A Callsign ..." wrote in
message news
firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else can
I use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Very slowly unless at least a core 2 duo processor with two gigs of ram. If
you have an amd processor then anything after 48 will crash on install..
See my previous message.
Brian

--
----- --

..." wrote:

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else can
use?

You should be able to use Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release). I
think 52.9.0 is the last version that supports XP.

You won't be able to update it, but it should work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not the current versions though. I have tried firefox on many xp machines
and firefox52 is only working well on the multicore processor machines
otherwise it can take literally minutes to load and if the page is
javascript heavy, go and have your lunch.
Brian

--
----- --

..." wrote:

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else
can I
use?

Comodo IceDragon is similar and is based on the same browser engine as
FF, but whether it works on Win XP I don't know. Worth a try though, I
would think.

Firefox is fine here with XP as is SeaMonkey which also offers integrated
mail and news

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would dispute that Windows 7 is better if you don't want a new operating
system every month with a host of things to be reconfigured every time..
After all if you are using xp and are happy to accept the shortcomings,
then at least there are a few months more of updates to 7, assuming the
machine can cope with it.

Brian

--
----- --

..." wrote:

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else can
use?

Windows 10 :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 18:20:18 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

..." wrote:

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else can I
use?

Windows 10 :-)

is ****e and not a joke. Win7 is much better.

So it is https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47494760
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2019 16:23, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 18:20:18 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

..." wrote:

firefox is not working well any longer on all my XP machines what else can I
use?

Windows 10 :-)

is ****e and not a joke. Win7 is much better.

So it is https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47494760

"One way to avoid falling victim was to upgrade to Windows 10..."

Another way is not to use Chrome.

--
Max Demian