Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rubberised coating removal

We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

Were using acetone at present but wondering if theres a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2019 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

Were using acetone at present but wondering if theres a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

Tim

Toluene based thinner, or maybe this:
https://www.toolstation.com/rustins-...hoCpycQAvD_BwE

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3tltb2z

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2019 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

Were using acetone at present but wondering if theres a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Try brake fluid. It is a surprisingly good solvent for degraded tacky
rubbery plastics. Wear suitably thick impervious gloves.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Richard
writes
On 06/03/2019 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.
Were using acetone at present but wondering if theres a better
solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.
Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...
Tim

Toluene based thinner, or maybe this:
https://www.toolstation.com/rustins-...40443?utm_sour
ce=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=go ogleshoppingfeed&gclid=
CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaJNwzx6W-SKvpsmKQXOwMCaSZaOx6jjOdKSfaD-8LoZIRWHf
zHXr1hoCpycQAvD_BwE

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3tltb2z

I'd be very interested if anyone has actually tried that, or found
something else that does work.

I keep finding more and more things that have this awful coating, some
of them quite small and delicate, and I've not had much success in the
past.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/03/2019 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

Were using acetone at present but wondering if theres a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Try brake fluid. It is a surprisingly good solvent for degraded tacky
rubbery plastics. Wear suitably thick impervious gloves.

Sounds interesting. Ill have a rummage in my garage...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/03/2019 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

We?re using acetone at present but wondering if there?s a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Try brake fluid. It is a surprisingly good solvent for degraded tacky
rubbery plastics. Wear suitably thick impervious gloves.

Sounds interesting. I?ll have a rummage in my garage...

Tim

For a respirator?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Mar 2019 19:36:45 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

We’re using acetone at present but wondering if there’s a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

I've removed this vile stuff from a few cameras and binoculars as well
as plastic (computer mice) using White Spirit. Doesn't harm plastic
and a microfibre cloth with copious amounts of white spirit and
patience works well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Mar 2019 21:42:32 +0000
Peter Parry wrote:

I've removed this vile stuff from a few cameras and binoculars as well
as plastic (computer mice) using White Spirit. Doesn't harm plastic
and a microfibre cloth with copious amounts of white spirit and
patience works well.

I've done that but it makes me feel that a better solvent would reduce
the amount of scrubbing required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/19 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

Were using acetone at present but wondering if theres a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

This was discussed over in uk.tech.digital-tv very recently. One point
raised was that no matter what solvent you use, the sticky goo will come
through again in a matter of weeks/months.

Is there any Fablon-like adhesive vinyl material which you could use to
permanently cover the sticky surface and wouldn't look too bad? Loads on
ebay, but I've no idea whether or not it is any good.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/03/19 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

Were using acetone at present but wondering if theres a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

This was discussed over in uk.tech.digital-tv very recently. One point
raised was that no matter what solvent you use, the sticky goo will come
through again in a matter of weeks/months.

Not if you remove it all!

Is there any Fablon-like adhesive vinyl material which you could use to
permanently cover the sticky surface and wouldn't look too bad? Loads on
ebay, but I've no idea whether or not it is any good.

Fablon on Kef egg speakers? Hmm, no thanks.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
On 6 Mar 2019 19:36:45 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

WeÂ’re using acetone at present but wondering if thereÂ’s a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

I've removed this vile stuff from a few cameras and binoculars as well
as plastic (computer mice) using White Spirit. Doesn't harm plastic
and a microfibre cloth with copious amounts of white spirit and
patience works well.

We have 5 to do. Acetone does work but its very labour intensive. Hoping
to find a better/quicker solvent.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2019 22:43, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/03/19 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating.Â* Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

Were using acetone at present but wondering if theres a better
solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

This was discussed over in uk.tech.digital-tv very recently. One point
raised was that no matter what solvent you use, the sticky goo will come
through again in a matter of weeks/months.

Is there any Fablon-like adhesive vinyl material which you could use to
permanently cover the sticky surface and wouldn't look too bad? Loads on
ebay, but I've no idea whether or not it is any good.

Perhaps a flocking coat - usually applied as a base adhesive, then the
flock fibres applied after.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/19 22:54, Tim+ wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/03/19 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

Were using acetone at present but wondering if theres a better solvent to
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

This was discussed over in uk.tech.digital-tv very recently. One point
raised was that no matter what solvent you use, the sticky goo will come
through again in a matter of weeks/months.

Not if you remove it all!

OK. Drastic, but effective. I had assumed you were just trying to remove
the sticky mess which leaches out of the rubber stuff rather than the
whole coat.

Is there any Fablon-like adhesive vinyl material which you could use to
permanently cover the sticky surface and wouldn't look too bad? Loads on
ebay, but I've no idea whether or not it is any good.

Fablon on Kef egg speakers? Hmm, no thanks.

Didn't realise they were egg-shaped. No, Fablon definitely won't do!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There have been a lot of threads on this stuff in various groups recently
and I've not seen any consensus on what to do.
If it is just a coating then it probably does have a solvent if you can
identify what the paint is.
I would however suggest that also you check up on the speaker units
surrounds cones and suspension, as many speakers of a similar age seem to
be almost write offs due to the plastic going hard, or falling to bits.
Also be aware that if you create any dust from removal of the coating its
going to be bad news for speakers.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim+" wrote in message
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

We're using acetone at present but wondering if there's a better solvent
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was it by any chance 3M Nextel? If it was then they might know the solvent,
but I have to say that particular paint was used for defence jobs and nobody
reported problems other than the occasional chip due to poor bonding to the
in underlying material, usually metal.
Brian

--
----- --

"Richard" wrote in message
On 06/03/2019 19:36, Tim+ wrote:
We have some Kef speakers (cast alloy construction) that had that silky
rubber coating. Needless to say this coating is a ghastly sticky mess.

We're using acetone at present but wondering if there's a better solvent
remove this horrid stuff. Not too worried if it removes the underlying
paint as some has come off already.

Wondering about petrol but not the nicest stuff to work with...

Tim

Toluene based thinner, or maybe this:
https://www.toolstation.com/rustins-...hoCpycQAvD_BwE

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3tltb2z

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

I've removed this vile stuff from a few cameras and binoculars as well
as plastic (computer mice) using White Spirit. Doesn't harm plastic
and a microfibre cloth with copious amounts of white spirit and
patience works well.

I've done that but it makes me feel that a better solvent would reduce
the amount of scrubbing required.

The problem is finding a solvent which doesn't dissolve everything
else as well as the coating. The ones I tried were acetone (pretty
useless on the rubber but turned many other plastics into goo).
Isopropanol (little or no effect on the coating but safe on almost
everything). Ethanol and Methanol - as for Isopropanol. Ether (quite
effective but difficult to source and for use outdoors only. Methylene
Chloride (removed the coating but also the various thermoplastic
substrates and again, only use outdoors). White Spirit (removed the
coating more easily than I had expected when used with microfibre
cloth and pretty harmless to other plastics etc. )

Eventually I settled on the white spirit as being benign as far as
user and various substrates were concerned but also quite effective at
removing the goo after leaving it covered in a rag soaked in white
spirit for half an hour and then attacking it with a microfibre cloth
soaked in white spirit. The soft rubber coating certainly didn't come
back afterwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

[...]

ave

How long did you leave it?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

[...]

Only about 30 mins as I recall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 10:40:33 +0000
Peter Parry wrote:

The soft rubber coating certainly didn't come
back afterwards.

Indeed - fairly shiny plastic underneath, not as nice as the rubbery
stuff when new but infinitely preferable once it had gone gooey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

[...]

I meant before you declared it a "success"...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

[...]

Ah - several years, one pair of binoculars 10 years so far.