Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drill Press Laser Repairable ?

I have a Wixey drill press laser, just a year old, which has just stopped functioning. Is it likely to be anything simple. Would it be repaotable ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2019 08:39, fred wrote:
I have a Wixey drill press laser, just a year old, which has just stopped functioning. Is it likely to be anything simple. Would it be repaotable ?

Unless it is the switch or battery contacts, I would think not.

Machine-dro aka Alandale as Wixey agents might be able to advise. They
generally a helpful bunch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 08:39:51 UTC, fred wrote:
I have a Wixey drill press laser, just a year old, which has just stopped functioning. Is it likely to be anything simple. Would it be repaotable ?

depends which bit's broken. You need a multimeter.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 8:54:28 AM UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 06/03/2019 08:39, fred wrote:
I have a Wixey drill press laser, just a year old, which has just stopped functioning. Is it likely to be anything simple. Would it be repaotable ?

Unless it is the switch or battery contacts, I would think not.

Machine-dro aka Alandale as Wixey agents might be able to advise. They
generally a helpful bunch.

Tried Allendale but no response
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 9:39:47 AM UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 08:39:51 UTC, fred wrote:
I have a Wixey drill press laser, just a year old, which has just stopped functioning. Is it likely to be anything simple. Would it be repaotable ?

depends which bit's broken. You need a multimeter.

NT

No response so far from the UK Seller but got a very fast response from the manufacturer, Wixey , with some suggestions

Hats off to Wixey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2019 15:38, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 9:39:47 AM UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 08:39:51 UTC, fred wrote:
I have a Wixey drill press laser, just a year old, which has just stopped functioning. Is it likely to be anything simple. Would it be repaotable ?

depends which bit's broken. You need a multimeter.

NT

No response so far from the UK Seller but got a very fast response from the manufacturer, Wixey , with some suggestions

Hats off to Wixey

Did any of their suggestions fix it? What was the issue?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 7:35:35 PM UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 06/03/2019 15:38, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 9:39:47 AM UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 08:39:51 UTC, fred wrote:
I have a Wixey drill press laser, just a year old, which has just stopped functioning. Is it likely to be anything simple. Would it be repaotable ?

depends which bit's broken. You need a multimeter.

NT

No response so far from the UK Seller but got a very fast response from the manufacturer, Wixey , with some suggestions

Hats off to Wixey

Did any of their suggestions fix it? What was the issue?

Bob I id reply to your emailbut I'll recap

The manufacturer suggested I check the battery terminals which are in fact fine. He also suggested I short circuit the switch which I did but no joy.
I have a meter and checked what I could but the leads to the laser heads are imbedded in glue/cement so I cant get a probe on them.

According to the manufacturer it would be very unusual for both heads to fail at once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2019 15:38, fred wrote:
[...]

Are there other circuit boards inside or is it just batteries and a switch?
If its the latter, Id be inclined to think its got to be a simple power
supply issue as solid state lasers should be very reliable.

How about a photo of the internals?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2019 10:11, fred wrote:
According to the manufacturer it would be very unusual for both heads to fail at once.

That is what I thought when I looked it up to find it had two laser heads.

To reply by email, you need to "remove your hat" from my published address.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:52:57 PM UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
On 08/03/2019 10:11, fred wrote:
According to the manufacturer it would be very unusual for both heads to fail at once.

That is what I thought when I looked it up to find it had two laser heads.

To reply by email, you need to "remove your hat" from my published address.

Bob

Problem solved. I opened it up again to take some photos to notce one of the spring battery terminals was slightly cocked. Adjusting this solved the problem,
Thanks to all for the assistance.

Before and after photos

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3khzm9c8n5...r%203.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk4e9h7zna...aser1.jpg?dl=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2019 10:11, fred wrote:
According to the manufacturer it would be very unusual for both heads to fail at once.

That is what I thought when I looked it up to find it had two laser heads.

To reply by email, you need to "remove your hat" from my published address.

Bob

Problem solved. I opened it up again to take some photos to notce one of the spring battery terminals was slightly cocked. Adjusting this solved the problem,
Thanks to all for the assistance.

Before and after photos

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3khzm9c8n5...r%203.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tk4e9h7zna...aser1.jpg?dl=0

The U.K. supplier, https://www.allendale-group.co.uk/, had the temerity to respond to my email,this morning, after 5 weeks, asking how they could help. Given that I had posted the resolution on here and also emailed the U.S. manufacturer yesterday I think this belated offer of assistance is just too much of a coincidence
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2019 10:11, fred wrote:
[...]

Its what happens when you leave cr@p batteries in stuff for a long time.

You should always use alkaline batteries for stuff like that and take
them out if not in regular use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Those were fresh batteries. I use this brand in all my equipment with no problem. If you had read my solution you would see the problem was with a bent, not dirty, terminal, dtygtse