Old March 5th 19, 11:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Taxis and dogs

"Jim K.." wrote in message
"Rod Speed" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
Robin Wrote in message:
On 04/03/2019 23:38, Jim K.. wrote:
Robin Wrote in message:
On 04/03/2019 22:28, newshound wrote:
On 04/03/2019 22:16, wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 21:14:43 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I have a little dog. There is not a single taxi company in my area
that
would carry me and my dog to the vets
If I was a Christian taxi driver, could I refuse a Muslim
passenger
journey as I DO consider them to be inpure?

No, because that would be discrimination on the ground of a
protected
characteristic.

Having a dog is not a protected characteristic.

If the dog were a registered assistance dog then you would be
protected by the protected characteristic of disability and would
be
able to complain to the taxi licensing authority or sue the taxi
driver.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...llegal-drivers

Owain

Which poses the interesting question as to the differences between a
dog, a therapy dog, and an assistance dog.

What matters for the obligations on taxis and PHVs is whether or not
the
dog is an "assistance dog" for the purposes of the Equality Act as
defined there.

My wife is getting a bit deaf, and her (vanilla) dog certainly helps
make sure the door-bell is never missed.

You'd need to be ready to show the dog had "been trained to assist a
deaf person".

And details differ around UK as powers are devolved.

You just happen to know?

I was asked last year by someone who sometimes drives a taxi as his
council's guidance was vague.

You were asked? To do what?

What the legal story is, stupid.

Is he a lawyer

Doesn't need to be, ****wit.

Just like I don't need to be a lawyer to point out that its currently
illegal to execute May.

Old March 5th 19, 11:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote in message
On Monday, 4 March 2019 21:14:43 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I have a little dog. There is not a single taxi company in my area that
would carry me and my dog to the vets
If I was a Christian taxi driver, could I refuse a Muslim passenger a
journey as I DO consider them to be inpure?

No, because that would be discrimination on the ground of a protected
characteristic.

Having a dog is not a protected characteristic.

If the dog were a registered assistance dog then you would be protected
by the protected characteristic of disability and would be able to
complain to the taxi licensing authority or sue the taxi driver.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...llegal-drivers

My feeling is that if you choose to do a customer-facing role, whether it
is a taxi driver, a maker of cakes or a proprietor of a hotel, you
undertake to put the law of the land ahead of your own personal feelings.

So you commit to drive all passengers, even those with dogs; you commit to
make cakes for gay/lesbian weddings; you commit to allow gay/lesbian
couples to stay in your hotel.

If you have a *medical* reason not to, fine: that's a valid reason. If it
is merely a religious one, then that is about the worst excuse anyone
could give.

In other words: if you don't like dogs/gays - find another job where your
prejudices won't be against the anti-discrimination law of the land.

But what if you believe that abortions are deliberately killing what
will very likely end up being a viable child later ? Should you then
avoid being a doctor ?

Old March 5th 19, 11:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 21:18:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Is he a lawyer

Doesn't need to be, ****wit.

Just like I don't need to be a lawyer to point out that its currently
illegal to execute May.

Nor does anyone have to be a psychiatrist to realize that you are a
miserable senile psychopath!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Old March 5th 19, 11:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2019 10:13, NY wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I do of course agree - but note the Supreme Court ruled that the couple
from Belfast prosecuted over refusing to make a cake with a message in
support of gay marriage did *not* break the law.

Old March 5th 19, 11:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 21:24:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

But what if you believe that abortions are deliberately killing what
will very likely end up being a viable child later ? Should you then
avoid being a doctor ?

He provided the answer in his first sentence, you psychopathic
"argumentative asshole".

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Old March 5th 19, 12:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2019 10:13, NY wrote:

snip

My feeling is that if you choose to do a customer-facing role, whether
it is a taxi driver, a maker of cakes or a proprietor of a hotel, you
undertake to put the law of the land ahead of your own personal feelings.

So you commit to drive all passengers, even those with dogs;

snip

But the 'law of the land' doesn't day that you have to carry 'pet' dogs.
And why should you? What next, goats, pigs?

Cheers
--
Clive
Old March 5th 19, 12:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
But what if you believe that abortions are deliberately killing what
will very likely end up being a viable child later ? Should you then
avoid being a doctor ?

If the law allows abortions, then you are not doing anything illegal. So if
you disagree with abortions, you should probably steer clear of a gynae role
in medicine so as not to place yourself in a position when the law says it's
permissible but your conscience says not. But all other aspects of medicine
as still open to you.

Old March 5th 19, 12:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2019 11:06, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 05/03/2019 10:13, NY wrote:

snip

My feeling is that if you choose to do a customer-facing role, whether
it is a taxi driver, a maker of cakes or a proprietor of a hotel, you
undertake to put the law of the land ahead of your own personal feelings.

So you commit to drive all passengers, even those with dogs;

snip

But the 'law of the land' doesn't day that you have to carry 'pet' dogs.
¬*And why should you?¬* What next, goats, pigs?

possibly a trained miniature horse - eg if a UK-US trade deal harmonises
definitions

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

--
Robin
Old March 5th 19, 12:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
On 05/03/2019 10:13, NY wrote:

snip

My feeling is that if you choose to do a customer-facing role, whether it
is a taxi driver, a maker of cakes or a proprietor of a hotel, you
undertake to put the law of the land ahead of your own personal feelings.

So you commit to drive all passengers, even those with dogs;

snip

But the 'law of the land' doesn't day that you have to carry 'pet' dogs.
And why should you? What next, goats, pigs?

Sorry, I was being lazy: I should have specified "assistance dogs" not pets.
But a taxi firm should send a driver who does not have any objection to
assistance dogs, if they are notified in advance by a prior booking as
opposed to a stop-in-the-street hailing of a taxi.

Old March 5th 19, 12:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Robin" wrote in message

So you commit to drive all passengers, even those with dogs; you commit
to make cakes for gay/lesbian weddings; you commit to allow gay/lesbian
couples to stay in your hotel.

I do of course agree - but note the Supreme Court ruled that the couple
from Belfast prosecuted over refusing to make a cake with a message in
support of gay marriage did *not* break the law.

Yes, I thought that was a very bizarre and counter-intuitive ruling: to put
the personal feelings of the hotel owners before the anti-discrimination
laws of the UK.

Maybe attitudes will change over time - maybe to say that if you
discriminate against people, it is only permitted if you do so equally
against *all* religious people as opposed to those who hold no religious
convictions ;-) [I'm being facetious]