Old March 1st 19, 03:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fluorescent lighting

Is there a wiki on how to install fluorescent lighting

Old March 1st 19, 10:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Could one ask why you would want to these days, assuming you could find any
to install!

Even I managed to install the old type, you just screw them up connect them
up and they go!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old March 1st 19, 11:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 March 2019 02:59:56 UTC, Weatherlawyer wrote:
Is there a wiki on how to install fluorescent lighting

Screw the in place, connect the cable up. The only gotcha is don't run the cable over the hot ballast. But why use fluorescent now? It's mostly obsolete.

NT
Old March 1st 19, 03:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Could one ask why you would want to these days, assuming you could find
any to install!

Is it that far behind LEDs etc in terms of efficiency/life?

A florry gives a more even illumination than a series of LEDs.

Also a better selection of colour temperature, etc.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 1st 19, 03:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 March 2019 14:31:48 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Could one ask why you would want to these days, assuming you could find
any to install!

Is it that far behind LEDs etc in terms of efficiency/life?

I've heard they are, but not having testd them myself I can't say.

A florry gives a more even illumination than a series of LEDs.

That's not really true espeacily over time, the ends of florrys go black and start to flicker and get dimmer with time.

Also a better selection of colour temperature, etc.

Not sure that is true, but it should be difficult for LED tubes to be desined like the phillips hues.

We have new LED tubes in our new lab auto on and off, in my office they are also dimmable unlike the florrys in my present office, one of which is just flickering. One in the corridor is flickering and making a noise.
It could wake the students up ;-)

Old March 1st 19, 03:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Could one ask why you would want to these days, assuming you could
find any to install!

Is it that far behind LEDs etc in terms of efficiency/life?

I've heard they are, but not having testd them myself I can't say.

A florry gives a more even illumination than a series of LEDs.

That's not really true espeacily over time, the ends of florrys go black
and start to flicker and get dimmer with time.

Also a better selection of colour temperature, etc.

Not sure that is true, but it should be difficult for LED tubes to be
desined like the phillips hues.

We have new LED tubes in our new lab auto on and off, in my office they
are also dimmable unlike the florrys in my present office, one of which
is just flickering. One in the corridor is flickering and making a noise.
It could wake the students up ;-)

Dimmable fluorescent fittings have been around since the early 1960s.
Nothing new there.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old March 1st 19, 04:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Could one ask why you would want to these days, assuming you could find
any to install!

Is it that far behind LEDs etc in terms of efficiency/life?

the thin fls are very good, but don't perform ok if the room's cold. LEDs have overtaken general purpose T8s in efficacy.

A florry gives a more even illumination than a series of LEDs.

not significantly. LED tape can be run anywhere, generally giving better illumination.

Also a better selection of colour temperature, etc.

RGB LEDs give way more colour temp choice. Whites are more limited.

NT
Old March 1st 19, 04:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 March 2019 15:00:09 UTC, charles wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I used to spend time somewhere with magnetic ballasted fluorescents on 1930s variac dimmers. It worked.

NT
Old March 1st 19, 04:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Could one ask why you would want to these days, assuming you could find
any to install!

Is it that far behind LEDs etc in terms of efficiency/life?

A florry gives a more even illumination than a series of LEDs.

Also a better selection of colour temperature, etc.

LEDs are slightly better than electronic ballast fluorescent lights.

Some way better than switch start.

Plus instant start.
Several colours available.
Old March 1st 19, 04:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

This lab was build in the 1960s last electrical refurbishment was in the mid 90s. But still never seen any dimmable florescant in the dept or uni, there must be a reason.
And the electric car existed in about 1880.

wasn't exactly a tesla or even a prima though.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Fluorescent lighting Mark Spice UK diy 4 February 8th 06 10:33 AM
Fluorescent lighting question rickm Home Repair 13 October 29th 04 12:56 AM
fluorescent lighting stuart noble UK diy 17 October 15th 04 11:25 PM
Fluorescent lighting? Schism Home Repair 13 June 22nd 04 03:00 AM
Fluorescent lighting advice Paul Moore UK diy 6 February 11th 04 03:16 PM