DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   any good pir outdoor lights ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/631682-any-good-pir-outdoor-lights.html)

[email protected] February 25th 19 03:49 PM

any good pir outdoor lights ?

We had an outdoor pir floodlight which functioned faultlessly for over 20 years. Since its demise I am now on the third replacement.All far eastern crap. All faulty in one way or another. Either the timer could not be set properly or the sensor was inadequate. Is anyone making a good version any more ?

John Rumm February 26th 19 11:25 AM

any good pir outdoor lights ?

On 25/02/2019 15:49, wrote:
We had an outdoor pir floodlight which functioned faultlessly for
over 20 years. Since its demise I am now on the third replacement.All
far eastern crap. All faulty in one way or another. Either the timer
could not be set properly or the sensor was inadequate. Is anyone
making a good version any more ?

IME going for a "normal" light controlled by a stand-alone PIR often
gives better results. You can also then change the PIR without changing
the light if you need to.

PIR kit made by Steinel seems to have a decent reputation.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

fred[_8_] February 27th 19 08:36 AM

any good pir outdoor lights ?

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 11:25:25 AM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/02/2019 15:49, wrote:
We had an outdoor pir floodlight which functioned faultlessly for
over 20 years. Since its demise I am now on the third replacement.All
far eastern crap. All faulty in one way or another. Either the timer
could not be set properly or the sensor was inadequate. Is anyone
making a good version any more ?

IME going for a "normal" light controlled by a stand-alone PIR often
gives better results. You can also then change the PIR without changing
the light if you need to.

PIR kit made by Steinel seems to have a decent reputation.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Thanks John. I was about to go that route as the original unit had a separate PIR sensor

Jim K.. February 27th 19 04:21 PM

any good pir outdoor lights ?

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 25/02/2019 15:49, wrote:
We had an outdoor pir floodlight which functioned faultlessly for
over 20 years. Since its demise I am now on the third replacement.All
far eastern crap. All faulty in one way or another. Either the timer
could not be set properly or the sensor was inadequate. Is anyone
making a good version any more ?

IME going for a "normal" light controlled by a stand-alone PIR often
gives better results. You can also then change the PIR without changing
the light if you need to.

PIR kit made by Steinel seems to have a decent reputation.

I'm playing with a £13 microwave detector on my garage external
floodlights - works good but still early days.
Much bigger range (c 6m) than the defunct pir did & pretty much a
180 degree detection angle.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jim K.. February 27th 19 11:01 PM

any good pir outdoor lights ?

On 25/02/2019 15:49, wrote:
We had an outdoor pir floodlight which functioned faultlessly for
over 20 years. Since its demise I am now on the third replacement.All
far eastern crap. All faulty in one way or another. Either the timer
could not be set properly or the sensor was inadequate. Is anyone
making a good version any more ?

IME going for a "normal" light controlled by a stand-alone PIR often
gives better results. You can also then change the PIR without changing
the light if you need to.

PIR kit made by Steinel seems to have a decent reputation.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Thanks John. I was about to go that route as the original unit had a separate PIR sensor

Er... Paula / Fred, depending which way you are transitioning, are
your nipples still like bullets due to the hormones?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/