Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default iPad continuously loses wI fi signals.

iPad continuously loses wI fi signals. Will connect for 5-10 minutes at over 45Mbps then that disappears.

Tried... Factory reset, Router Power Cycle, Checking Broadband extender, on ground floor, gives good readings on iPhone but poor / intermittent / no connection to iPad

Router is BT no 6 (Ethernet cable connection iMac ( Very Good 57 - 58 Mpbs)

Ethernet cable to BT Broadband extender on first floor gives good connection down to ground floor, running Smart TV... All channels picked up ok. iPhone shows continuously good Hi Speed Connection but iPad is very intermittent

Where is fault? Ground floor BT BB extender ? Or iPad in failing to hold on to a signal from Extender?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"abueloeddie" wrote in message
iPad continuously loses wI fi signals. Will connect for 5-10 minutes at
over 45Mbps then that disappears.

Tried... Factory reset, Router Power Cycle, Checking Broadband extender,
on ground floor, gives good readings on iPhone but poor / intermittent /
no connection to iPad

Router is BT no 6 (Ethernet cable connection iMac ( Very Good 57 - 58
Mpbs)

Ethernet cable to BT Broadband extender on first floor gives good
connection down to ground floor, running Smart TV... All channels picked
up ok. iPhone shows continuously good Hi Speed Connection but iPad is
very intermittent

Where is fault? Ground floor BT BB extender ? Or iPad in failing to
hold on to a signal from Extender?

The first thing I'd eliminate is the range-extender. How often does the
problem happen when

- the range extender is turned off and the iPad is (obviously) connected to
the base router
- the range extender is turned on but the iPad is connected to the base
router
- the iPad is connected to the range extender

Some Apple devices seem to use a wifi chipset which is a lot more fussy and
a lot more liable to disconnect. Many times my wife has complained that the
wifi to her iPad keeps dropping out, but I can't reproduce the fault with my
Android phone or Windows laptop in the same location and so with the same
signal strength/quality. That's for a signal from a router, without a range
extender. I'm not sure whether Apple have released any firmware upgrades
which attempt to cure this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 February 2019 15:00:24 UTC, NY wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply, NY.

Tested in the past hour... on Ground floor ( Router and 1 Extender up stairs) iPad receiving 40+ Mbps...... walk away into from Range extender.... Signal fails completely

Smart TV displays 45 / 50 Mbps ( Hard connection to Extender Via Ethernet) iPad blank, iPhone 49-55 Mpbs Extender is hard to get at. need assistance, will have to wait till fit young person arrives to help

Appointment made at local Apple shop ...Genius Bar

Meanwhile, Wife's nearly new iPad works all the while without a hitch

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"abueloeddie" wrote in message
iPad continuously loses wI fi signals. Will connect for 5-10 minutes at
over 45Mbps then that disappears.

Tried... Factory reset, Router Power Cycle, Checking Broadband extender,
on ground floor, gives good readings on iPhone but poor / intermittent /
no connection to iPad

Router is BT no 6 (Ethernet cable connection iMac ( Very Good 57 - 58
Mpbs)

Ethernet cable to BT Broadband extender on first floor gives good
connection down to ground floor, running Smart TV... All channels picked
up ok. iPhone shows continuously good Hi Speed Connection but iPad is
very intermittent

Where is fault? Ground floor BT BB extender ? Or iPad in failing to
hold on to a signal from Extender?

Almost certainly the ipad has flaky wifi hardware, may be a cracked trace
etc.

Worth checking the iphone and ipad on the router itself with the wifi
extender
turned off to eliminate the wifi extender, but it would be an unusual fault
that
only affect one idevice.

You do have both the ipad and the iphone set to use the same wifi channel,
and not one one adjacent overlapping channels ?

And presumably you have ensured that they are both either using
2.4GHz or 5GHz and not one using one and the other using the other.

And that both are actually using the wifi extender, not one using it
and the other the router itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 February 2019 15:52:34 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Thanks Rod for your detailed reply.

My knowledge of the problem is that all the Machines ( iPhone . iPad and iMac ) have all worked together for many years and so I must presume that all the criteria that you quote is / or was, in place, or logically this happy state of affairs would not have been so.

My suspicions lie with the BT extender...(s) Over the years I have had many connection problems with these bits of kit, needed as the house in which we live has room dividers, walls, all lined with sheet plasterboard which is also insulated with sheet aluminium, thus preventing most of the "RAYS" from spreading through the house!

Unfortunately my knowledge of the ways that these device connect to each other is confined to.... If it works, good, now leave it alone!" :-(

I think that I will have to "Get a Man in" and trust that he can make the iPad stop playing silly buggers!

Thanks again

abueloeddie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 February 2019 14:04:16 UTC, abueloeddie wrote:
iPad continuously loses wI fi signals. Will connect for 5-10 minutes at over 45Mbps then that disappears.

Tried... Factory reset, Router Power Cycle, Checking Broadband extender, on ground floor, gives good readings on iPhone but poor / intermittent / no connection to iPad

Router is BT no 6 (Ethernet cable connection iMac ( Very Good 57 - 58 Mpbs)

Ethernet cable to BT Broadband extender on first floor gives good connection down to ground floor, running Smart TV... All channels picked up ok. iPhone shows continuously good Hi Speed Connection but iPad is very intermittent

Where is fault? Ground floor BT BB extender ? Or iPad in failing to hold on to a signal from Extender?

There was a problem a few month back where this happened had is myself think it was vers 11.4.1 that had problems with virgin meadia superhub 2 3s were OK and soem other ISP also had problems but after 11.4.2 came it everything worked again and has done for me ever since.

I was using an ipad air 2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"abueloeddie" wrote in message
My suspicions lie with the BT extender...(s) Over the years I have had
many connection problems with these bits of kit, needed as the house in
which we live has room dividers, walls, all lined with sheet plasterboard
which is also insulated with sheet aluminium, thus preventing most of the
"RAYS" from spreading through the house!

Plasterboard coated with aluminium foil is a real pain because it attenuates
the signal, especially if the foil is earthed (eg a safety connection to the
building's earthing rod which is connected to mains earth).

If it had affected all devices, you might have needed lots of wifi repeaters
connected by Ethernet cable to the router. But another iPad works OK in the
same places, so you should be fine.

I'd suspect your iPad may have a problem.

The point about 2.4 GHz versus 5 GHz is a good one. If your router is
broadcasting both (many modern ones do) and if both networks have the same
name and password, you may find it difficult to tell which network each
device is connecting to. 5 GHz tends to have a shorter range and be more
affected by obstructions like hot water tanks and foil-covered plasterboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 02:52:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

[...]

You mean it might be flaky like you, you totally cracked up senile Ozzie
troll? BG

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 15:00, NY wrote:
Some Apple devices seem to use a wifi chipset which is a lot more fussy
and a lot more liable to disconnect.

They are not the only ones. My laptop negoteioates down from about
50Mbps to 5Mbps whilst still saying there is a good level of signal.

My raspberry Pi-Z does similar.

****ing broadcom drivers.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I pad.
However, I assume it has the latest Operating system update? If its so old
it cannot run that then I suspect you are stuffed.

There was a bug in some earlier versions of IOS that dropped connections.
Also are you close to any other strong signals on the same band? I've seen
some tablets strong
le under packed bands.
Not got one myself, but I've heard the woes from others.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"abueloeddie" wrote in message
iPad continuously loses wI fi signals. Will connect for 5-10 minutes at
over 45Mbps then that disappears.

Tried... Factory reset, Router Power Cycle, Checking Broadband extender,
on ground floor, gives good readings on iPhone but poor / intermittent /
no connection to iPad

Router is BT no 6 (Ethernet cable connection iMac ( Very Good 57 - 58
Mpbs)

Ethernet cable to BT Broadband extender on first floor gives good
connection down to ground floor, running Smart TV... All channels picked
up ok. iPhone shows continuously good Hi Speed Connection but iPad is
very intermittent

Where is fault? Ground floor BT BB extender ? Or iPad in failing to
hold on to a signal from Extender?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 15:35, abueloeddie wrote:
[...]

The most likely problem is that the repeater uses a chipset or dodgy
firmware that does not correctly implement all the Wifi protocols that
the Apple depends on - notably multicastDNS. Here is what my tame wizard
has to say on the topic of which chipsets work reliably with Apple kit:

Broadcom and Atheros, the latter now being a part of Qualcomm. Most new
Apple devices now contain Broadcom Wifi 802.11ac chips.

iPads, like much of Apple kit, do their service discovery by means of
multicastDNS, called variously zeroconf, Rendezvous or Bonjour. Sadly,
whether your Wifi base unit and / or router supports this properly has
more of impact on things like seamless UPnP and streaming than the
chipset used. Many standard routers are inconsistent and essentially
unreliable in their Bonjour / mDNS implementation.

Meanwhile, Wife's nearly new iPad works all the while without a
hitch

A fault in your old iPad is just about possible but my money would be on
a slightly ropey chipset in the repeater and better error recovery in
the newer iPad masking the shortcomings of the repeater.

I have seen similar problems with iP*ds too many times...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown