Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stuck mdf bath panel

Ive tried to remove my mfd bath panel but its snapped and now I cant
get the rest out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hi
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hj

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 24/02/2019 15:14, Staceyjo86 wrote:
Ive tried to remove my mfd bath panel but its snapped and now I cant
get the rest out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hi
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hj

Use a multi tool to cut the skirting, remove it then you should be fine.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 15:14, Staceyjo86 wrote:
Ive tried to remove my mfd bath panel but its snapped and now I cant
get the rest out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hi
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hj

i) it looks like hardboard rather than MDF

ii) It looks if the panel was fitted first and then that piece of
skirting board attached to the bath frame afterwards. Possibly it was
screwed to the frame and then the screw holes filled prior to painting.
The screws possibly go through the panel. You need to remove that piece
of skirting board.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 19:09, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , TMH
wrote:

On 24/02/2019 15:14, Staceyjo86 wrote:
Ive tried to remove my mfd bath panel but its snapped and now I cant
get the rest out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hi
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hj

Use a multi tool to cut the skirting, remove it then you should be fine.

Skirting round a 'king bath? What loony did that?

Take the opportunity to make a new bath panel to size, and attach it to
the frame with magnets. That way it can be removed easily for access.

Or can fall off with a kick.

So many people make service panels for kit that will last longer than
the panel will.

Fan went in one of my toilets. Fan was - is - installed in the ceiling
void with no hatch.,

Out with the plasterboard saw, remove section of ceiling, replace fan,
replace plasterboard, fill, paint...that should be OK for the next 16
years...

I've got two 12V dimmable lighting transformers buried in walls...

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 20:57, alan_m wrote:
On 24/02/2019 15:14, Staceyjo86 wrote:
Ive tried to remove my mfd bath panel but its snapped and now I cant
get the rest out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hi
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hj

i) it looks like hardboard rather than MDF

ii) It looks if the panel was fitted first and then that piece of
skirting board attached to the bath frame afterwards. Possibly it was
screwed to the frame and then the screw holes filled prior to painting.
The screws possibly go through the panel. You need to remove that piece
of skirting board.

wrecking bar good for that.

TNPs famous algorithm of all repairs

WHEN IN DOUBT
RIP IT OUT
Lerant many years ago fixing cars when it was ALWAYS quicker to remove
the WHOLE axle,. so you could te it in a vice to get the sodding brake
drums off...and then renove all the wheel cylinders...

...rather than faffing around in the mud with a blowlamp..

--
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 20:57:34 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 24/02/2019 15:14, Staceyjo86 wrote:
Ive tried to remove my mfd bath panel but its snapped and now I cant
get the rest out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hi
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hj

i) it looks like hardboard rather than MDF

ii) It looks if the panel was fitted first and then that piece of
skirting board attached to the bath frame afterwards. Possibly it was
screwed to the frame and then the screw holes filled prior to painting.
The screws possibly go through the panel. You need to remove that piece
of skirting board.

Mine is hardboard and skirting, but just remove the screws (plated brass -
still OK after about 28 years) and it all comes away. I deliberately used
slotted RH screws to make a 'feature' so that no concealing of them was
necessary.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah you are obviously being punished for using such a useless portal into
Usenet....
Not much to go on in you post.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Staceyjo86" m wrote in
message ...
I've tried to remove my mfd bath panel but it's snapped and now I can't
get the rest out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hi
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hj

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/02/2019 15:14, Staceyjo86 wrote:
Ive tried to remove my mfd bath panel but its snapped and now I cant
get the rest out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hi
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hj

I think the advice you have had from the rest of the group is possibly
wrong. (There's fighting talk!)

I would leave the skirting board in place, and I'd trim away the rest of
the bath panel. It looks like hardboard, so a sharp knife should do the
trick. Then make up a new bath panel to slot in on top of the skirting
board.

The skirting board would be a bugger to remove, as there are bound to be
screws into the framework that have been artfully covered over with filler.

That's assuming you can do whatever you need to do under the bath
without removing the skirting board.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 February 2019 09:48:13 UTC, GB wrote:
On 24/02/2019 15:14, Staceyjo86 wrote:
Ive tried to remove my mfd bath panel but its snapped and now I cant
get the rest out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hh
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hi
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hj

I think the advice you have had from the rest of the group is possibly
wrong. (There's fighting talk!)

I would leave the skirting board in place, and I'd trim away the rest of
the bath panel. It looks like hardboard, so a sharp knife should do the
trick. Then make up a new bath panel to slot in on top of the skirting
board.

+1. Then silicone it to stop the skirting getting soaked. Which means getting the new panel rigid there, which means adding another bit of wood.

Most regulars here don't read anything from that website you're using.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ah you are obviously being punished for using such a useless portal into
Usenet....
Not much to go on in you post.

..... except the 3 photos showing the problem

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 08:19:46 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Ah you are obviously being punished for using such a useless portal
into Usenet....
Not much to go on in you post.

There are informative photographs, but ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 09:48:08 +0000
GB wrote:

The skirting board would be a bugger to remove, as there are bound to
be screws into the framework that have been artfully covered over
with filler.

The skirting appears to have been fixed with the usual couple of nails
every couple of feet, which surprised me - maybe the bottom rail behind
it is 4x2 rather than 2x2. Or maybe the skirting was reused from
somewhere else. I'd put a cold chisel down the back of the skirting to
see where it stuck.

removing stuck bath panel Fred UK diy 9 April 15th 19 08:12 AM
How do I saw my MDF Bath panel plinth lengthways neatly? [email protected] UK diy 6 October 2nd 06 09:26 PM
MDF bath panel behind tiles was getting wet - shuould I be worried? David Smithz UK diy 10 August 4th 06 10:01 PM
8541 MDF Targets - MDF Under Extreme Use Tom Watson Woodworking 4 September 3rd 05 02:32 PM
MDF bath panel and plinth Jo King UK diy 4 June 21st 05 07:26 PM