Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealant around the tile to wash basin edge coming off

My cleaner tells me its come off in a long elastic string, and I have cut
the loose bit off. How would one replace this. I'm not going to do it
myself as I'll make a hash of it but I would need to know so when somebody
is hired, I don't end up with a bodge. One supposes taking all the loos
stuff off is best, then cleaning the surfaces and doing it again is the
best plan. Its been OK for over 10 years so I cannot grumble.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

My cleaner tells me its come off in a long elastic string, and I have
cut the loose bit off. How would one replace this. I'm not going to
do it myself as I'll make a hash of it but I would need to know so
when somebody is hired, I don't end up with a bodge. One supposes
taking all the loos stuff off is best, then cleaning the surfaces and
doing it again is the best plan. Its been OK for over 10 years so I
cannot grumble.
Brian

A good clean to get rid of and mould inducing bugs.

Dig out the old.

Clean with something like Meths to ensure adhesion.

Apply masking tape

Use a smoothing tool like a"Fugenboy" and not a saliva wetted finger.
(although a soapy wet clean finger may be okay)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

My cleaner tells me its come off in a long elastic string, and I have
cut the loose bit off. How would one replace this. I'm not going to
do it myself as I'll make a hash of it but I would need to know so
when somebody is hired, I don't end up with a bodge. One supposes
taking all the loos stuff off is best, then cleaning the surfaces and
doing it again is the best plan. Its been OK for over 10 years so I
cannot grumble.
Brian

Brian - you may like to lesten to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vjTxTFL-k0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

My cleaner tells me its come off in a long elastic string, and I have
cut the loose bit off. How would one replace this. I'm not going to
do it myself as I'll make a hash of it but I would need to know so
when somebody is hired, I don't end up with a bodge. One supposes
taking all the loos stuff off is best, then cleaning the surfaces
and doing it again is the best plan. Its been OK for over 10 years
so I cannot grumble.
Brian

A good clean to get rid of and mould inducing bugs.

Dig out the old.

Clean with something like Meths to ensure adhesion.

Apply masking tape

Use a smoothing tool like a"Fugenboy" and not a saliva wetted finger.
(although a soapy wet clean finger may be okay)

Yes, dig out the old.
Let dry.
Clean with meths.
Use decent silicone. Masking tape if you wish.
Do not stick finger in gob to smooth it out, soapy water could be okay, but
I doubts about introducing water to silicone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" Wrote in message:
DerbyBorn wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

[...]

Contents of gob or soap would trouble me more than water...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" Wrote in message:
DerbyBorn wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

[...]

I resealed my bath about 8 years ago with decent silicone and as I described
above. After 8 years the silicone is still brilliant white. I used my
plastic tool to smooth the silicone, wife said it looked fine. My tool is in
the garage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

I thought it might be the cleaneing stuff that had made it come off to
start with.
Brian

Oh - and ensure he uses top quality Silicone and not Caulk or Bargain
stuff.

New House Problem #2: Indesit WIB111 Wash Machine - gunge in wash Java Jive[_2_] UK diy 23 April 1st 13 03:28 PM
grout-only sealant versus tile-and-grout sealant? peter Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 05:13 AM
New wash basin not vertical Arthur UK diy 4 September 6th 04 09:55 PM
Pedestal wash basin Mark Webb UK diy 11 August 20th 04 05:36 PM
Wash-hand basin water drains away very slowly Kevin Becks UK diy 2 September 5th 03 06:52 PM