Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remote dimmer switch?

Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch
that anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

This is for someone who is ill / bedridden to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely, as well as someone
to easily do the same from the switch itself?

I have seen several for sale but not all state being LED compatible
and I have no idea if there any gotchas with such things ITRW?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2019 22:35, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch
that anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

This is for someone who is ill / bedridden to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely, as well as someone
to easily do the same from the switch itself?

My suggestion would be Wemo or similar smart lamps. Somewhat higher
initial hardware cost but more flexible in what you can do with it.

They are controllable from apps on mobile phones or tablets or with a
little bit of effort by voice through Alexa. Requires internet
connection - they can also be programmed to come on at particular times
of day to make a house look occupied even when it isn't.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Smar...dp/B00OG68NYY/

Cheaper clones are available. Some people clearly struggle to get them
to work judging by the reviews but I have no idea why.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 22:50:43 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 21/02/2019 22:35, T i m wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback / info Martin but I think it (and similar)
might be a bit OTT in this particular situation.

For it to be workable it really 'just' needs to be a basic dimmer
switch for anyone to easily use, plus the option of some remote
control via a simple dedicated device for the person in bed.

From what we have been told it may only be used for a few weeks now
.... ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/19 22:35, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch
that anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

This is for someone who is ill / bedridden to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely, as well as someone
to easily do the same from the switch itself?

I have seen several for sale but not all state being LED compatible
and I have no idea if there any gotchas with such things ITRW?

I don't have any experience of these devices, but was looking recently
at the Quinetic range of remote light switches.

Would this one be of any use:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUD11W.html, which is used with
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUR301.html

I see from the data sheet it states the "Max load for LED Lighting €“
150w & 300 watts for other loads. *", and it adds "*Maximum loads may
vary from manufacturer to manufacturer of the load."

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 10:52:57 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 22:35:54 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch that
anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

This is for someone who is ill / bedridden to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely, as well as someone to
easily do the same from the switch itself?

I have seen several for sale but not all state being LED compatible and
I have no idea if there any gotchas with such things ITRW?

Cheers, T i m

Isn't this a job for some Amazon Alexa magic ?

I did voice that when the thought first came up but I don't think it
would work, because:

Her voice isn't very good sometimes and she's sharing the room with a
'carer' (her sister) so it's bad enough that she might need to have
some light (bad for the sleeping carer) to say got to the toilet but
to also have someone say in a reasonably clear voice, 'Alexa, bedroom
light to 25%' ...

So, I was thinking a simple remote she could use herself to put enough
light on in the room to be able to walk out safely ... and could be
'tuned' to light the room in general (watching TV, talking to people
etc).

I was sure such things were the next step on from 'non remote' dimmers
but maybe they have all been outmoded now?

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y4ojzdwj

A straight remote controlled lamp might do, if there is one that can
go bright enough (online reviews suggest many can't), but I'm not sure
how they work when also turned off and on at the switch (well, I know
what happens when they are turned off g).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/02/2019 22:35, T i m wrote:
[...]

Philips Hue dimmer systems come with a little hand gadget to control
them. You don't have to use a smart phone.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:24:10 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

snip

Philips Hue dimmer systems come with a little hand gadget to control
them. You don't have to use a smart phone.

Ah, that's good to know ... I might look into that further then.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 22:35:54 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch that
anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

This is for someone who is ill / bedridden to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely, as well as someone to
easily do the same from the switch itself?

I have seen several for sale but not all state being LED compatible and
I have no idea if there any gotchas with such things ITRW?

Cheers, T i m

Have you considered a touch sensitive bedside light?
Very little effort and no manual dexterity required.

If it isn't the main light then the wall switch requirement may go away.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2019 22:35, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch
that anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

This is for someone who is ill / bedridden to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely, as well as someone
to easily do the same from the switch itself?

I have seen several for sale but not all state being LED compatible
and I have no idea if there any gotchas with such things ITRW?

I have some Varilight touch dimmers that also have an IR sensor. You can
train them to use any IR remote you fancy.

Although my ones predate LEDs being in common use, they seem to work OK
with LEDs, but with a narrower dimming range than with an incandescent.

They do however now have an equivalent switch with proper LED driver:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro-ir.php

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:12:54 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

snip

Would this one be of any use:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUD11W.html, which is used with
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUR301.html

I see from the data sheet it states the "Max load for LED Lighting –
150w & 300 watts for other loads. *", and it adds "*Maximum loads may
vary from manufacturer to manufacturer of the load."

Thanks for that Jeff. I think they are more for remotely controlling
'a lamp' than yer std ceiling lamp in the same room, but could be
wired *to* say a std lamp in that room.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb 2019 13:04:13 GMT, David wrote:

snip

Have you considered a touch sensitive bedside light?

Yes, I have David, especially since asking the other question here.

Very little effort and no manual dexterity required.

Understood.

If it isn't the main light then the wall switch requirement may go away.

Good point. The only issue in this case is that she doesn't really
have a permanent bedside table as such and because she has one of the
clever hospital beds, she's a fair way down it (because it has an
electric back lift etc) and so she just has one of those tables that
slides under your bed that holds some bits / meds etc not really
suitable for anything wired as such.

A free standing uplighter with a touch or other dimming function may
cover it though (as it could be stood close to the bed).

She's only 38 so luckily (if that word can still be used here) is
fairly technical and still has good dexterity for TV remotes etc (for
now anyway (recent diagnosed with terminal cancer, 'a matter of months
to go' (probably less) ... ).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

The Philips Hue system would work very well indeed in that
situation with the unpowered switch being able to be set for
a few different light levels so she has one button for the level
used for a ****, one for full light level, one for say half light
level used when watching TV etc. No modification to the
wiring required at all, even for the switch itself which
doesn't even have an internal battery, it works on
kinetic energy alone.

Problem is that the minimum cost is quite high and hard
to justify if she is only going to live for a few more weeks.

I was sure such things were the next step on from 'non remote'
dimmers but maybe they have all been outmoded now?

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y4ojzdwj

A straight remote controlled lamp might do, if there is one that can
go bright enough (online reviews suggest many can't), but I'm not sure
how they work when also turned off and on at the switch (well, I know
what happens when they are turned off g).

The Hue bulbs have internal dimmers. Not cheap tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2019 14:03, R D S wrote:
On 21/02/2019 22:35, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch
that anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

I got a bulb in Lidl recently that had a remote for dimming (as well as
all manner of other funky multicolouredness).

IKEA do something similar - it dims by twisting a magnetic puck in a
tray sort of arrangement. Possibly too responsive/fiddly for this use,
but maybe worth considering. I've got one and it works fine - but I'm
not a big dimmer.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 03:12 am in Australia! LOL And the Obnoxious Senile Troll is up and Troll yet again! LOL

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 03:12:32 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH troll ****

03:12, AGAIN??? Does really NO ONE in real life want to talk to you, you
abnormal senile troll? BG

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2019 16:18, RJH wrote:
I'm not a big dimmer.

LOL!

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Would this one be of any use:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUD11W.html, which is used with
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUR301.html

I see from the data sheet it states the "Max load for LED Lighting €“
150w & 300 watts for other loads. *", and it adds "*Maximum loads may
vary from manufacturer to manufacturer of the load."

Thanks for that Jeff. I think they are more for remotely controlling
'a lamp' than yer std ceiling lamp in the same room, but could be
wired *to* say a std lamp in that room.

Fair enough, but this is from your OP "...to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely..."

I've no doubt the idea could be adapted for a standard lamp, though.
Good luck with getting it sorted out quickly under the circumstances.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Would this one be of any use:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUD11W.html, which is used with
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUR301.html

I see from the data sheet it states the "Max load for LED Lighting –
150w & 300 watts for other loads. *", and it adds "*Maximum loads may
vary from manufacturer to manufacturer of the load."

Thanks for that Jeff. I think they are more for remotely controlling
'a lamp' than yer std ceiling lamp in the same room, but could be
wired *to* say a std lamp in that room.

Fair enough, but this is from your OP "...to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely..."

No, agreed, I'm sure it could be done using the kit, just a bit more
involvement than I'd like, especially in a rented property.

I've no doubt the idea could be adapted for a standard lamp, though.

Agreed. I was sort of familiar with such devices from a previous
question I posted here (to actually control an external water feature
'remotely') but had forgotten the equipment details etc.

Good luck with getting it sorted out quickly under the circumstances.

Thanks very much. When there tonight we heard the light being switched
off from the wall switch and whilst that's currently not a 'bad
thing', as it gives her a bit of exercise, I'm not sure she will be
able to do so soon.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 16:18:52 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 22/02/2019 14:03, R D S wrote:
On 21/02/2019 22:35, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch
that anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

I got a bulb in Lidl recently that had a remote for dimming (as well as
all manner of other funky multicolouredness).

IKEA do something similar - it dims by twisting a magnetic puck in a
tray sort of arrangement. Possibly too responsive/fiddly for this use,
but maybe worth considering. I've got one and it works fine - but I'm
not a big dimmer.

Thanks guys,

If this was in the centre / ceiling light in a bedroom, would you
consider it bright enough on it's own for say hoovering or reading
etc?

ATM, there is no issue with dexterity (all be it numbed with the
painkillers etc).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 13:05:28 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 21/02/2019 22:35, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch
that anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

This is for someone who is ill / bedridden to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely, as well as someone
to easily do the same from the switch itself?

I have seen several for sale but not all state being LED compatible
and I have no idea if there any gotchas with such things ITRW?

I have some Varilight touch dimmers that also have an IR sensor. You can
train them to use any IR remote you fancy.

Although my ones predate LEDs being in common use, they seem to work OK
with LEDs, but with a narrower dimming range than with an incandescent.

They do however now have an equivalent switch with proper LED driver:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro-ir.php

Thanks for that John, looks like it might tick all the right boxes.
;-)

JOOI, what are the touch dimmers like to use ITRW? I think I have used
them at other peoples houses but am not sure what they might be like
to live with?

eg, With a conventional on-off switch you get what you want pretty
quickly (unless a two-way cct when you might have to push the switch
the 'other way' to turn it on etc).

With a 'press on / off and rotate to dim', again, it's pretty obvious
what you need to do and pretty quick to get the brightness you want
because the pot relates directly to expectations (volume controls etc)
and is near instantaneous. This also means you can turn it down / dim
*before* turning it on, handy if you have someone asleep in the room
and only want enough light to be able to do something in there without
waking or tripping over something.

With most 'touch' controls (other than straight on/off), you often
have to step / cycle though the settings (thinking of Mums touch table
lamps etc) when they seem to go from off to dim med bright off
and that's fine, as long as there is some other light in the room.

I understand with the Varilight touch dimmers you can change the
direction of dimming by releasing and re-touching but you can only do
that once you realise that you are making the light brighter and not
dimmer (say)?

It's like I don't like touch controls in a moving car ... it's easier
to manage say the radio volume with an old fashioned knob (like in our
old Meriva, when the volume level can be set with the radio off and so
it comes back on at that level).

So a remote dimmable light switch with old fashioned push button and
knob (failing that I think it will be the touch option).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/02/2019 22:35, T i m wrote:
[...]

IME fine... you touch and let go they come on, repeat and they go off.
Touch and hold and they slowly ramp up and down in a repeating cycle.
Takes about 4 secs to move from min to max (or vice versa). Just let go
when you have the required brightness.

eg, With a conventional on-off switch you get what you want pretty
quickly (unless a two-way cct when you might have to push the switch
the 'other way' to turn it on etc).

With a 'press on / off and rotate to dim', again, it's pretty obvious
what you need to do and pretty quick to get the brightness you want
because the pot relates directly to expectations (volume controls etc)
and is near instantaneous.

Oddly I ave one rotational push on/off LED dimmer, and it has a
significant start up delay and ramp up - so quite often you hit it and
then find yourself hitting it again because the delay fooled you into
thinking you may not have pushed it hard enough the first time. Net
result is you then turn it off!

This also means you can turn it down / dim
*before* turning it on, handy if you have someone asleep in the room
and only want enough light to be able to do something in there without
waking or tripping over something.

With my touch dimmer if its off and you touch and hold it comes on at
minimum brightness and then starts ramping up.

With most 'touch' controls (other than straight on/off), you often
have to step / cycle though the settings (thinking of Mums touch table
lamps etc) when they seem to go from off to dim med bright off
and that's fine, as long as there is some other light in the room.

On mine its a smooth continuous ramp.

I understand with the Varilight touch dimmers you can change the
direction of dimming by releasing and re-touching but you can only do
that once you realise that you are making the light brighter and not
dimmer (say)?

You can, but the ramp is reasonably quick anyway so depending on how
near an "end" you are you can just wait to bounce off it and go the
other way.

It's like I don't like touch controls in a moving car ... it's easier
to manage say the radio volume with an old fashioned knob (like in our
old Meriva, when the volume level can be set with the radio off and so
it comes back on at that level).

This is not like a touch screen in that its easy to find the control
without needing to look at it. It also remembers its most recent setting.

So a remote dimmable light switch with old fashioned push button and
knob (failing that I think it will be the touch option).

It makes it harder, since the knob would have to become a rotary encoder
to give you the analogue "feel" but still allow the external control.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2019 14:03, R D S wrote:
On 21/02/2019 22:35, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch
that anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

I got a bulb in Lidl recently that had a remote for dimming (as well as
all manner of other funky multicolouredness).

IKEA do something similar - it dims by twisting a magnetic puck in a
tray sort of arrangement. Possibly too responsive/fiddly for this use,
but maybe worth considering. I've got one and it works fine - but I'm
not a big dimmer.

Thanks guys,

If this was in the centre / ceiling light in a bedroom, would you
consider it bright enough on it's own for say hoovering or reading
etc?

I'd say just about, but brightness required is pretty much a matter of
opinion/lumens. Anyway, what I was talking about:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-dimming-kit-warm-white-yellow-art-80356911/

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 10:19:39 +0000, RJH wrote:

snip

If this was in the centre / ceiling light in a bedroom, would you
consider it bright enough on it's own for say hoovering or reading
etc?

I'd say just about,

Ok and thanks.

but brightness required is pretty much a matter of
opinion/lumens.

Understood. But given an average room with a given source of
illumination, you know when it's 'not very bright'. ;-)

Anyway, what I was talking about:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-dimming-kit-warm-white-yellow-art-80356911/

Yes, I found it after you mentioned it Rob and have already forwarded
that info, with floor standing uplighter to daughter (carer for her
half-sister) and she likes it:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...-art-50139877/

I thought that combo would be a good compromise as it could take over
as the main light when she was in there on her own so she could then
control the brightness to suit her personal needs.

That still leaves use with the option of a std dimmer in the wall
switch as 'they' can still turn the light on / off easily if required.

I may have to go and get it because whilst the delivery could be good,
we don't know what time we actually have to help.

Cheers, T i m

ps Whilst I could convert the current BC to ES for the ceiling light,
if it was turned off at the wall, she couldn't turn it on from the bed
etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 02:22:07 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

This is not like a touch screen in that its easy to find the control
without needing to look at it. It also remembers its most recent setting.

Thanks for all the feedback John. It gives me a much better idea how
such might be used on a day to day basis.

So a remote dimmable light switch with old fashioned push button and
knob (failing that I think it will be the touch option).

It makes it harder, since the knob would have to become a rotary encoder
to give you the analogue "feel" but still allow the external control.

Understood.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2019 10:52, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 10:19:39 +0000, RJH wrote:

snip

If this was in the centre / ceiling light in a bedroom, would you
consider it bright enough on it's own for say hoovering or reading
etc?

I'd say just about,

Ok and thanks.

but brightness required is pretty much a matter of
opinion/lumens.

Understood. But given an average room with a given source of
illumination, you know when it's 'not very bright'. ;-)

Well, if pushed, I'd say pretty bright - at least 60W incandescent
equivalent. And I like the relatively warm white - but not all do.

[...]

There might be a way to convince 2 switches to control one light - not
sure I'm afraid, and you could be getting into the realm of one of their
hubs. As it is is, it works out the box without any need for anything else.

I bought it as a toy, to see if I could integrate it into other similar
standard lights I have dotted about the house. I did get it working
(some excellent community resources), but it lost the connection and I
haven't got round to figuring out why. Still works with the original
puck though.

Just one thing - it's not the last word in granular adjustment. The puck
thing, while quite durable and an interesting design (it can be wall
mounted, like a switch), relies on something gravity/centrifuge driven,
and at least for me proves a little tricky to achieve fine adjustments.

Also, the puck needs a battery - not sure how long they last, and I'd
imagine it'd need pairing again at each change.

But for the money, might be worth a try. At worst they'll have an LED
bulb :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 13:24:08 +0000, RJH wrote:

snip

Understood. But given an average room with a given source of
illumination, you know when it's 'not very bright'. ;-)

Well, if pushed, I'd say pretty bright - at least 60W incandescent
equivalent. And I like the relatively warm white - but not all do.

I agree when you want comfortable illumination rather than just light.

snip

ps Whilst I could convert the current BC to ES for the ceiling light,
if it was turned off at the wall, she couldn't turn it on from the bed
etc.

There might be a way to convince 2 switches to control one light - not
sure I'm afraid, and you could be getting into the realm of one of their
hubs. As it is is, it works out the box without any need for anything else.

Understood.

I bought it as a toy, to see if I could integrate it into other similar
standard lights I have dotted about the house. I did get it working
(some excellent community resources), but it lost the connection and I
haven't got round to figuring out why. Still works with the original
puck though.

Ok (and good to know that way is 'durable'). ;-)

Just one thing - it's not the last word in granular adjustment. The puck
thing, while quite durable and an interesting design (it can be wall
mounted, like a switch), relies on something gravity/centrifuge driven,
and at least for me proves a little tricky to achieve fine adjustments.

I'm not sure that would be an issue under our circumstances Rob. ATM
she's just got on/off so anything in between would probably be
welcomed.

Also, the puck needs a battery - not sure how long they last, and I'd
imagine it'd need pairing again at each change.

Ok.

But for the money, might be worth a try. At worst they'll have an LED
bulb :-)

Well, that was the thought. It's just a matter of who is going down
there and when (probably me and 'as soon as you can').

Is Ikea dog friendly?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/VL_eclique_Touch_Dimmers/VL_eclique_Touch_Dimmers_White_Flat_Plate/index.html

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2019 13:44, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 13:24:08 +0000, RJH wrote:

snip

Is Ikea dog friendly?

I very much doubt it. And don't reckon on a quick shop. Even if you can
find your way to the bulbs, leave half a day to pay and get back to the
car. It's a 'unique' experience.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a LED compatible remote / local wall mounted dimmer switch
that anyone here has personally experienced and can recommend please?

This is for someone who is ill / bedridden to be able to dim / turn
off/on a std ceiling mounted (LED) lamp remotely, as well as someone
to easily do the same from the switch itself?

I have seen several for sale but not all state being LED compatible
and I have no idea if there any gotchas with such things ITRW?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/VL_eclique_Touch_Dimmers/VL_eclique_Touch_Dimmers_White_Flat_Plate/index.html

An excellent choice. Seems to be compatible with every dimmer you throw
at them in my experience although I have never used the remote dimmer
controller.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 06:03:09 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 23/02/2019 13:44, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 13:24:08 +0000, RJH wrote:

snip

Is Ikea dog friendly?

I very much doubt it.

We left him with Mum. ;-)

And don't reckon on a quick shop.

We were maybe 20 mins all in?

Even if you can
find your way to the bulbs,

It's funny, I've not been to our one for *years* but I walked us round
all of it (for the S&G's) and it all seemed pretty familiar ... but
then I do have a reasonably good sense of direction. ;-)

The lamps were where they always were but the NOT's (floor standing
uplighter) we wanted weren't obvious but we found them on a trolley.

The shame was that much of the display lighting was damaged /
non-functional so we were able to try what we bought.

I think raising it to a height above what most kids can reach would
help (or reminding parents where the creche is (and it's not in the
lighting section)).

leave half a day to pay

It has self checkout now and we walked straight to an empty one and
were through there in no time. ;-)

and get back to the
car.

At 9pm on a Saturday it was all a lot easier than at many other times
I'm guessing, including parking fairly close to the entrance / exit.
;-)

It's a 'unique' experience.

It is that.

I'll stick one of the remote lamps in one of the NOTs in a while and
try it out pre taking it up to daughter. Step daughter seems to be
going downhill fast so I'm not sure how much she will use it herself
now. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2019 08:39, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* T i m wrote:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/VL_eclique_Tousionch_Dimmers/VL_eclique_Touch_Dimmers_White_Flat_Plate/index.html

An excellent choice. Seems to be compatible with every dimmer you throw
at them in my experience although I have never used the remote dimmer
controller.

I've used a more traditional Varilight with a knob. They have 3 driver
profiles IIRC that can be set as default: leading edge, trailing edge
and something else(???) - and the knob version, usefully can have its
minimum point set so the lights don't go out completely at the lowest
position.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 24/02/2019 08:39, ARW wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/VL_eclique_Tousionch_Dimmers/VL_eclique_Touch_Dimmers_White_Flat_Plate/index.html

An excellent choice. Seems to be compatible with every dimmer you throw
at them in my experience although I have never used the remote dimmer
controller.

I've used a more traditional Varilight with a knob. They have 3 driver
profiles IIRC that can be set as default: leading edge, trailing edge
and something else(???) - and the knob version, usefully can have its
minimum point set so the lights don't go out completely at the lowest
position.

Yup - have got one driving 20 LED MR16. Clever design.

--
*IS THERE ANOTHER WORD FOR SYNONYM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 15:11:21 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/VL_eclique_Tousionch_Dimmers/VL_eclique_Touch_Dimmers_White_Flat_Plate/index.html

An excellent choice. Seems to be compatible with every dimmer you throw
at them in my experience although I have never used the remote dimmer
controller.

I've used a more traditional Varilight with a knob. They have 3 driver
profiles IIRC that can be set as default: leading edge, trailing edge
and something else(???) - and the knob version, usefully can have its
minimum point set so the lights don't go out completely at the lowest
position.

Yup - have got one driving 20 LED MR16. Clever design.

The Ikea 'puck remote' lamps when down well today in a pair of 'NOT'
uplighters. Much better lighting than the single ceiling lamps were
giving.

Because of that and additional interest from step-grand daughter re
'remote controlled lights', I'm probably going to get and fit at least
one of the 'Varilight V-Pro IR Remote Control' switchplates, probably
controlling a 3 x GU10 ceiling spot. It's currently equipped with 3 x
50W halogens and I intend to replace those with 3 x 7W (dimmable) LED
spots.

Any thoughts or comments on that please (as I've never dealt with GO10
lamps. Is there a special tool / trick to get them out when recessed
slightly in a tubular fitting)?

Cheers, T i m

Remote 4g dimmer switch recommendations? Lobster UK diy 3 September 9th 14 07:18 AM
Dimmer and not dimmer Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 6 December 2nd 09 05:44 PM
touch / remote dimmer John UK diy 3 February 24th 09 03:19 PM
dimmer switch with pull string switch Andy Saggers UK diy 2 March 10th 04 10:18 PM
Dimmer switch on a ceilling fan controlled at one wall switch CME Metalworking 7 December 20th 03 01:21 PM