Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing sealant

The current job is taking the roof off the workshop that Tim envied.
3.5m long rolled steel sandwich with 85mm PIR foam fill sheets.

The problem is the sealant strip used to weatherproof the lap. 10 years
of sunlight and stitching screws every 0.5m have converted this to high
tensile goop.

The hot air gun works but is tediously slow. Any magic potions out
there?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2019 19:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
The current job is taking the roof off the workshop that Tim envied.
3.5m long rolled steel sandwich with 85mm PIR foam fill sheets.

The problem is the sealant strip used to weatherproof the lap. 10 years
of sunlight and stitching screws every 0.5m have converted this to high
tensile goop.

The hot air gun works but is tediously slow. Any magic potions out there?

WD40? I don't mean this in a facetious angle grinder way. I've found it
works well on bathroom sealant.

Worth a shot if you've got some handy.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 February 2019 11:40:17 UTC, Another Dave wrote:
On 21/02/2019 19:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
The current job is taking the roof off the workshop that Tim envied.
3.5m long rolled steel sandwich with 85mm PIR foam fill sheets.

The problem is the sealant strip used to weatherproof the lap. 10 years
of sunlight and stitching screws every 0.5m have converted this to high
tensile goop.

The hot air gun works but is tediously slow. Any magic potions out there?

WD40? I don't mean this in a facetious angle grinder way. I've found it
works well on bathroom sealant.

Worth a shot if you've got some handy.

Another Dave

White spirit is a fraction the price.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
The current job is taking the roof off the workshop that Tim envied.
3.5m long rolled steel sandwich with 85mm PIR foam fill sheets.

The problem is the sealant strip used to weatherproof the lap. 10 years
of sunlight and stitching screws every 0.5m have converted this to high
tensile goop.

The hot air gun works but is tediously slow. Any magic potions out
there?

Is that why you are taking the roof off?
Is it going back on? If so what will you use instead? & can't that
be applied in situ?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
The current job is taking the roof off the workshop that Tim envied.
3.5m long rolled steel sandwich with 85mm PIR foam fill sheets.

The problem is the sealant strip used to weatherproof the lap. 10 years
of sunlight and stitching screws every 0.5m have converted this to high
tensile goop.

The hot air gun works but is tediously slow. Any magic potions out
there?

Is that why you are taking the roof off?
Is it going back on? If so what will you use instead? & can't that
be applied in situ?

The site has been sold as part of a barn development. I retained
ownership of the workshop and a lean-to structure. The developer hopes
to start work in April so I am removing any useful bits.
The original plan was to re-erect the building but I am now 4 years
older:-(
I hope to re-use the roofing and will need to re-seal the laps.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
[...]

Ah right.
More butyl rubber?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

What's good for removing silicone sealant... woodglass UK diy 9 September 14th 06 04:18 PM
Sealant over sealant? al UK diy 4 February 18th 06 06:11 PM
grout-only sealant versus tile-and-grout sealant? peter Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 05:13 AM
Removing silicon (not sealant!) TonyK UK diy 6 November 19th 04 03:21 PM
Removing mildew from Silicone sealant? £$oteric UK diy 5 May 14th 04 12:13 PM