Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

Default Where to get brass BSW screws?

I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 21/02/2019 14:09, wrote:
I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...crews&_sacat=0
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 21/02/2019 16:51, newshound wrote:
On 21/02/2019 14:09, wrote:
I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...crews&_sacat=0

Lots of brass screws on that link but AFAICT there aren't any that meet
the spec.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 21/02/2019 14:09, wrote:
I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...1313&_nkw=bras
s+bsw+screws&_sacat=0

Lots of brass screws on that link but AFAICT there aren't any that meet
the spec.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victorian... K:rk:50:pf:0

say they will do other lengths if you ask them.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 21/02/2019 14:09, wrote:
I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...1313&_nkw=bras
s+bsw+screws&_sacat=0

Lots of brass screws on that link but AFAICT there aren't any that meet
the spec.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victorian... K:rk:50:pf:0

say they will do other lengths if you ask them.

I'd seen those, but they're ordinary csk rather than raised countersunk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

wrote:
I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...crews&_sacat=0

Lots of brass screws on that link but AFAICT there aren't any that meet
the spec.

eBay is the generic answer. Did you even try it first?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

wrote:
I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...crews&_sacat=0

Lots of brass screws on that link but AFAICT there aren't any that
meet the spec.

eBay is the generic answer. Did you even try it first?

Of course! I also tried everywhere else I could think of, that's why I
asked here for help. Do you have a helpful suggestion?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

wrote:
I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...crews&_sacat=0

Lots of brass screws on that link but AFAICT there aren't any that
meet the spec.

eBay is the generic answer. Did you even try it first?

Of course! I also tried everywhere else I could think of, that's why I
asked here for help. Do you have a helpful suggestion?

Some people are a bit nervous of eBay and do not realise that it is
actually better than any traditional physical hardware shop (much as I
like them).

If you had said you had tried eBay without success, many of us would
have regarded that as a challenge and no doubt managed to locate some.
As it is, I for one won't be bothering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 21/02/2019 14:09, wrote:
I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

Is brass essential?

I can get equivalent size 10-24 in UNC in A2 Stainless.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-Stainl...0/291640830602

Same major diameter, same pitch although 60degs thread rather than BSW
55degs.

Any doubt get a tap.

Any reason why a standard countersink can't be used?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 24/02/2019 21:37, Fredxx wrote:
On 21/02/2019 14:09, wrote:
I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either
7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?

Is brass essential?

I can get equivalent size 10-24 in UNC in A2 Stainless.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-Stainl...0/291640830602

Same major diameter, same pitch although 60degs thread rather than BSW
55degs.

Any doubt get a tap.

Any reason why a standard countersink can't be used?

Yes, I'd seen those but I need to match the brass originals. I spec'd
BSW because that's what the originals are, but I have a wide range of
taps and dies so a small thread angle change would not be a problem.
These screws attach the window "furniture" to 1930s Crittall window
casements (which are steel). There are typically 4 screws per item by
design, but several are either missing or have sheared heads, that's why
I want to match; mixing flat/raised head or brass/SS would not look
good. If necessary I could move screws around (so that one casement had
all new, etcetera) but that would be a pain and would probably lead to
more spoilt heads or shearing - using the dremel to drill-out is a royal
pain and I don't want to add to the number I have to do. Also, there are
rather a lot of casements.
I've contacted a few suppliers now and may have found a source for
longer screws with the correct head and thread, so if I can't get the
right length I'll have to make a holder and get shortening.
There we a full disclosure ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 25/02/2019 13:15, Tim+ wrote:
Wrote in message:
On 24/02/2019 21:37, Fredxx wrote: On 21/02/2019 14:09,
wrote: I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either 7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier? Is brass essential? I can get equivalent size 10-24 in UNC in A2 Stainless. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-Stainl...0/291640830602 Same major diameter, same pitch although 60degs thread rather than BSW 55degs. Any doubt get a tap. Any reason why a standard countersink can't be used? Yes, I'd seen those but I need to match the brass originals.

Might be worth dropping these folk a line if you've not already
tried them...

http://www.steelwindowfittings.com/aboutus.aspx

Tim

Thanks, I hadn't found them.

BSW and UNC thread identification Old guy[_2_] Metalworking 0 August 4th 17 02:18 PM
UNC & BSW interchangeable? Peter Taylor[_3_] UK diy 21 June 14th 14 10:44 AM
7/32" BSW screw asalcedo UK diy 0 August 16th 13 04:21 PM
Grinding brass swarf into brass powder James Taylor UK diy 3 April 18th 12 08:00 PM
Need a couple of BSW bolts Mark F Metalworking 5 January 22nd 08 10:28 AM