Old February 14th 19, 12:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gtech V Dyson cordless?

Hi all,

We have a Dyson V6 (bought for us by our daughter) and tonight I used
it to remove the dog hairs from a 2 bed flat. I did it in 3 charges as
the particular dog hairs seem to have been fairly embedded (and their
cleaner didn't seem to be able to get them). If I'd really wanted to
give it a deep clean I'd have taken our Meile Big Cat n Dog corded
cylinder but I wanted to test the Dyson.

The remaining dogs (one resident and one visiting) don't shed as much
hair and so it may be easier to keep hair free in the future.

So, we know how well the Dyson works but a couple of mates swear by
their Gtech's and so I was wondering of anyone here has practical
experience of both (brands) and could comment (re comparison).

For just doing the carpets in the flat (no stairs or car etc) I'm
guessing the Gtech AirRam Mk2 would be the model to use?

Mum (88) is also considering a cordless cleaner but she needs
something for the stairs so would the Gtech Multi / AirRam combo be
better than the latest Dyson (Cyclone V10?) for her?

Cheers, T i m

Old February 14th 19, 08:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Three charges, how long does a charge take. We still use a corded vacume concerned at the time for recharge.
Old February 14th 19, 09:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 00:13:56 +0000, T i m wrote:

Mum (88) is also considering a cordless cleaner but she needs
something for the stairs so would the Gtech Multi / AirRam combo be
better than the latest Dyson (Cyclone V10?) for her?

For something light and a lot cheaper for stairs there's a Vax where the
tubes can be removed and the powered head clipped onto the main unit.
The buttons are a bit 'heavy' to operate but, for a hundred quid, it could
be left in 'stairs mode'.
These bagless vcs are high maintenace - windless day an a few minutes to
clean out then hours to recharge. Bloody convenient though.

BTW, I got fed up of the big, heavy, noisy, hot Nilfisk with its
plaster-removing hose and looked at something easier to handle. Bought a
Miele C3 Complete one, 249 in Argos and 149 in Currys. OK, didn't want to
use Currys but all those beer tokens saved...!

As an aside, Currys doesn't allow payment on line for 'click and collect' so
DSR don't apply, sneaky *******s!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old February 14th 19, 10:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2019 08:48, curious wrote:
Three charges, how long does a charge take. We still use a corded vacume concerned at the time for recharge.

I always use a corded Vacum cleaner to clean the car as it is generally
quite dirty.

--
Michael Chare
Old February 14th 19, 10:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 00:48:24 -0800 (PST), curious
wrote:

Three charges, how long does a charge take.

Probably a couple of hours each charge (I didn't really time it).

We still use a corded vacume concerned at the time for recharge.

I was using our Dyson cordless for this job as part of a feasibility /
runtime test. Once done to the level I did yesterday, I think the
whole flat could be done easily on one charge and much earlier than
with the corded multi-cyclone Dyson they normally use.

Another observation was how the cordless Dyson could get under things
that obviously not been hoovered under for a long time.

I do know that it picked a lot of stuff up (mainly dog hairs) as I had
to empty it a good few times. Apparently they had put the corded Dyson
over the flat a couple of days earlier (but maybe not so intensely).

Cheers, T i m

Old February 14th 19, 10:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 10:04:55 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

On 14/02/2019 08:48, curious wrote:
Three charges, how long does a charge take. We still use a corded vacume concerned at the time for recharge.

I always use a corded Vacum cleaner to clean the car as it is generally
quite dirty.

We don't clean the car that often (inside or out) but have found the
Dyson V6 pretty good for doing the inside, certainly much better than
the last cordless cleaner, an original B&D 'Dustbuster'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Old February 14th 19, 10:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 09:00:36 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 00:13:56 +0000, T i m wrote:

Mum (88) is also considering a cordless cleaner but she needs
something for the stairs so would the Gtech Multi / AirRam combo be
better than the latest Dyson (Cyclone V10?) for her?

For something light and a lot cheaper for stairs there's a Vax where the
tubes can be removed and the powered head clipped onto the main unit.

Ok. I have a Vax carpet cleaner that seems to work pretty well so I'm
not against the brand suggestion.

The buttons are a bit 'heavy' to operate but, for a hundred quid, it could
be left in 'stairs mode'.

I would have to get Mum to try one if anything was considered 'heavy'
by a man! ;-)

These bagless vcs are high maintenace - windless day an a few minutes to
clean out

This Dyson V6 will dump most stuff out easily with the single base
'flap' and you can clean it easily a bit deeper by dropping the whole
container off.

then hours to recharge.

That is the / a drawback for sure, till they develop one that would
complete 'most situations' on a single charge.

Bloody convenient though.

And that's the point. After doing a deep clean on the entire flat and
leaving the Dyson to recharge again I found myself picking it up for a
'quick go-over' without having to bother about finding a free socket,
dealing with the cable (inc rewinding) or the weight / bulk of most
corded cleaners. When we have it here it's wall bracket / charging
point is tucked round the corner of our utility area and so is also
very easy to ensure is kept charged and where it will be. ;-)

BTW, I got fed up of the big, heavy, noisy, hot Nilfisk with its
plaster-removing hose

(LOL)

and looked at something easier to handle. Bought a
Miele C3 Complete one, 249 in Argos and 149 in Currys. OK, didn't want to
use Currys but all those beer tokens saved...!

I went Miele years ago because according to my sound meter, it was the
quietest one in the shop. ;-)

As an aside, Currys doesn't allow payment on line for 'click and collect' so
DSR don't apply, sneaky *******s!

Oh?

I'm still interested to hear from anyone who uses a Gtech. A couple of
'practical' mates say they had Dysons but now much prefer the Gtech
(upright cordless) because they work better and run longer?

Again, I wonder with these cordless cleaners we work faster or
'ration' the time we spend in each area on what we know the battery
will support (if the need is great enough etc).

Cheers, T i m

Old February 14th 19, 12:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 February 2019 00:13:56 UTC, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

We have a Dyson V6 (bought for us by our daughter) and tonight I used
it to remove the dog hairs from a 2 bed flat.

Did she buy you the D6 or the D6 animal (purple) which is for cat and dog hair and pets in general ?

I did it in 3 charges as
the particular dog hairs seem to have been fairly embedded (and their
cleaner didn't seem to be able to get them). If I'd really wanted to
give it a deep clean I'd have taken our Meile Big Cat n Dog corded
cylinder but I wanted to test the Dyson.

I use my corded animal when doing large areas covered in cat hair, if it's just a small area that needs cleaning I use my cordless dyson cordless which is not the animal version and that does have greater difficulty picking up hair and doesn't give the same 'deep' clean and seems less powerful and isn't an 'animal version' which came out a few months later.

So, we know how well the Dyson works but a couple of mates swear by
their Gtech's and so I was wondering of anyone here has practical
experience of both (brands) and could comment (re comparison).

A friend some years ago who wanted to replace their hoover.
Cleaned her flat with it then went out and bought a dyson ball.
She was amazed that the new dyson almost filled with dirt that her old hoover didn't suck up, and was 'over the moon' with her new dyson and went around telling everyone how good it was.
Now 5 years later her dyson isn't perfoming as well so she wanted a new cleaner I suggested the animal DC10, while in PCworld jan sales she bought a cleaner corded for £100 (not sure which one).
When I asked how it was she just said OK, then on my second ask, it's OK but yuo have to change the heads when going from the kitchem to the living room and it's it of a pain and doesn't fit to well together, but it's ok if not in a hurry.
It also seems to push dust out towards the edges rather than pull it in.

Personally I'd pay the extra £100 for less hassle given the choice, but perhaps that's because I'm lazy or prefer conserving my energy and effort..

On looking at the Gtech on TV they do seem rather cumbersome and arkward looking at the design and where the bin is located, but not having tried one I don't know.
But when I need a replacement I think I'll stick with another dyson probabley the DC 12 animal (which doesn't exist yet, but might be out about the time I think I need a new cleaner)

Or of course I might get married and never have to bother cleaning again ;-D

For just doing the carpets in the flat (no stairs or car etc) I'm
guessing the Gtech AirRam Mk2 would be the model to use?

Mum (88) is also considering a cordless cleaner but she needs
something for the stairs so would the Gtech Multi / AirRam combo be
better than the latest Dyson (Cyclone V10?) for her?

I think the V10 might be lighter and eaisier to maneuver on stairs than the gtech which seems a bit larger and bulkier.

My prefered cleaner for stairs was my old dirt devil

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/312208807214?chn=ps

but the belt kept slipping off and it made a nasty noise and burning smell when I 'sucked' a screw up, that siezed the roller up.

I now use my dyson cordless on the stairs.

Cheers, T i m

Old February 14th 19, 01:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2019 00:13, T i m wrote:
[...]

No experience of the Dyson, but we have a Gtech AirRam which is great,
and an original multi, which is less impressive.
Old February 14th 19, 02:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2019 00:13, T i m wrote:
[...]

No user replaceable battery in Dysons. We've had 2 and both have lasted
just 18 months before going back to CostCo due to battery failure.

Now on a G-Tech Air Ram. Only had it since Nov. but so far it's been
great. Much easier to clean the inner core filter (foam) than the Dyson.
Down side is it won't quite fit under our sofa and no good for the
stairs but as a general whip-around on hard floors and carpets it's
great and charge seems to last far longer and battery can be replaced or
presumably a 2nd one to charge while t'other one is in use.

--
Gym Equipment & CBD Supplements.
https://www.gymratz.co.uk/cbd-hemp-supplements/