Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 10mm^2 connector

Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2019 23:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

A big soldering iron.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 23:42:44 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

https://www.peclights.com/product/do...iAAEgKe4_D_BwE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2019 23:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

https://www.toolstation.com/60a-junction-box/p98775

Not sure the cable size entry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

On 13/02/2019 23:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

https://www.toolstation.com/60a-junction-box/p98775

Not sure the cable size entry.

That looks ideal (if biggish). Thanks.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 23:42:44 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

https://www.peclights.com/product/do...block?gclid=EA
IaIQobChMIwLe3rNq64AIVxjXTCh1KDgPqEAAYAiAAEgKe4_D_ BwE

Thanks. That plus an earth block would certainly do it, but I suspect
it is a bit on the large side.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 23:42:44 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

Cooker outlet plate on a back box.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 23:42:44 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

Cooker outlet plate on a back box.

Owain

I should want to glue in a bit of plastic to block the outlet, but
otherwise that is the neatest suggestion yet.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

We were taught how to splice and solder cables

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

We were taught how to splice and solder cables

and in my case the soldering iron was not electrically powered.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

We were taught how to splice and solder cables

and in my case the soldering iron was not electrically powered.

Can not remember, probably the same (born 1942)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

We were taught how to splice and solder cables

and in my case the soldering iron was not electrically powered.

Can not remember, probably the same (born 1942)

We had to make then soldering bolt first. That's how I remember.

Ah, I'm 2 years older !!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2019 10:25, Roger Hayter wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

On 13/02/2019 23:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

https://www.toolstation.com/60a-junction-box/p98775

Not sure the cable size entry.

That looks ideal (if biggish). Thanks.

It is big, but also incorporates strain relief.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/02/2019 07:55, Fredxx wrote:
On 13/02/2019 23:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box?Â* I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice.Â* The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course.Â* Any superior ideas?

https://www.toolstation.com/60a-junction-box/p98775

Not sure the cable size entry.

Depending on which wholesalers I am using , if you want the BG 60A
junction box then you can ask for a coffin box:-)

https://www.directtradesupplies.co.uk/product.php/23063

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/02/2019 12:32, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 23:42:44 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

Cooker outlet plate on a back box.

Owain

I should want to glue in a bit of plastic to block the outlet, but
otherwise that is the neatest suggestion yet.

Normally the outlet is blocked until you break it out.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

We were taught how to splice and solder cables

and in my case the soldering iron was not electrically powered.

And not sure many would possess a soldering iron large enough to solder
10mm cable these days.

--
*Velcro - what a rip off!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 23:42:44 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

Cooker outlet plate on a back box.

Owain

I should want to glue in a bit of plastic to block the outlet, but
otherwise that is the neatest suggestion yet.

Normally the outlet is blocked until you break it out.

That's good! I've never seen a new one.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 8:15:43 PM UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 9:11:09 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 23:42:42 +0000
(Roger Hayter) wrote:

Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

60A chocblock might do it - strip both cables the full width of the
block, back the screws right off and stick the 2.5mm through and out
the other side. Take a bradawl or similar and make a hole in the end
of the 10mm so you can push the 2.5mm into it, then squeeze it back
carefully with pliers so the 10mm will fit into the block.

I like that idea. 60A chocblocks will take 10mm but I do like the idea of
embedding the 2.5mm in the 10mm and having 2 screws over it all.

Simon.

Having discovered after buying one that 60A junction boxes are rated for
only 4-25mm wire (and 2.5mm could presumably slip out beside the screws
even if folded over) I think I am going for that solution. The
connections will go in a metal box, along with a block connector to
terminate the redundant meter tails, so I think chocblock is acceptably
safe.

--

Roger Hayter

I've got to connect 10mm to 4mm (10mm is from SWA), I reckon 60A choc bloc with 10mm on one side and folded over 4mm on the other will be just fine.
But 2.5mm in those size terminals, as you say could slip out of the screw.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got to connect 10mm to 4mm (10mm is from SWA), I reckon 60A choc bloc with 10mm on one side and folded over 4mm on the other will be just fine.
But 2.5mm in those size terminals, as you say could slip out of the screw.

Simon.

Well, in case anyone is interested, the 60A choc bloc will just take a 10mm^2 and 4mm^2 all the way through from opposite sides so the whole thing is on 2 screws, which is always reassuring.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/03/2019 21:54, sm_jamieson wrote:

I've got to connect 10mm to 4mm (10mm is from SWA), I reckon 60A choc bloc with 10mm on one side and folded over 4mm on the other will be just fine.
But 2.5mm in those size terminals, as you say could slip out of the screw.

Simon.

Well, in case anyone is interested, the 60A choc bloc will just take a 10mm^2 and 4mm^2 all the way through from opposite sides so the whole thing is on 2 screws, which is always reassuring.

4 screws on the 60A jbs I use

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

On 14/03/2019 21:54, sm_jamieson wrote:

I've got to connect 10mm to 4mm (10mm is from SWA), I reckon 60A choc
bloc with 10mm on one side and folded over 4mm on the other will be
just fine. But 2.5mm in those size terminals, as you say could slip out
of the screw.

Simon.

Well, in case anyone is interested, the 60A choc bloc will just take a
10mm^2 and 4mm^2 all the way through from opposite sides so the whole
thing is on 2 screws, which is always reassuring.

4 screws on the 60A jbs I use

Mine too. But I only used two of them and put the 2.5mm and the 10mm
wires in from the same sidet. Seeing it is all in an outer box with
the cables effective fixed behind the wood panel it's mounted on there
seemed no downside and more reliable contacts.

--

Roger Hayter

Gas Hob Connection 10mm pipe Mo Thanku UK diy 5 November 9th 04 09:25 PM
10mm Steel Rod 1m NealUK UK diy 13 August 26th 04 02:41 AM
Using 10MM pipe for bathroom and kitchen taps Peter Charlwood UK diy 4 November 17th 03 04:49 PM
what to use for sawing 10mm veneers(for knife handles)?? Stephen Woodworking 2 October 14th 03 05:33 PM
Cooker outlet plates and 10mm cables Graham Gibson UK diy 5 August 27th 03 06:36 PM