UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old February 15th 19, 10:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,213
Default 10mm^2 connector

In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

We were taught how to splice and solder cables


and in my case the soldering iron was not electrically powered.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
"I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

  #12   Report Post  
Old February 15th 19, 12:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2017
Posts: 582
Default 10mm^2 connector

charles wrote:
In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

We were taught how to splice and solder cables


and in my case the soldering iron was not electrically powered.

Can not remember, probably the same (born 1942)
  #13   Report Post  
Old February 15th 19, 12:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,213
Default 10mm^2 connector

In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

We were taught how to splice and solder cables


and in my case the soldering iron was not electrically powered.

Can not remember, probably the same (born 1942)


We had to make then soldering bolt first. That's how I remember.

Ah, I'm 2 years older !!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
"I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle
  #14   Report Post  
Old February 15th 19, 02:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,732
Default 10mm^2 connector

On 14/02/2019 10:25, Roger Hayter wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

On 13/02/2019 23:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?


https://www.toolstation.com/60a-junction-box/p98775

Not sure the cable size entry.


That looks ideal (if biggish). Thanks.


It is big, but also incorporates strain relief.

  #15   Report Post  
Old February 16th 19, 11:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,070
Default 10mm^2 connector

On 14/02/2019 07:55, Fredxx wrote:
On 13/02/2019 23:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box?* I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice.* The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course.* Any superior ideas?


https://www.toolstation.com/60a-junction-box/p98775

Not sure the cable size entry.


Depending on which wholesalers I am using , if you want the BG 60A
junction box then you can ask for a coffin box:-)

https://www.directtradesupplies.co.uk/product.php/23063

--
Adam


  #16   Report Post  
Old February 16th 19, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,070
Default 10mm^2 connector

On 14/02/2019 12:32, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 23:42:44 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?


Cooker outlet plate on a back box.

Owain


I should want to glue in a bit of plastic to block the outlet, but
otherwise that is the neatest suggestion yet.



Normally the outlet is blocked until you break it out.

--
Adam
  #17   Report Post  
Old February 16th 19, 12:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 37,615
Default 10mm^2 connector

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
FMurtz wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

We were taught how to splice and solder cables


and in my case the soldering iron was not electrically powered.


And not sure many would possess a soldering iron large enough to solder
10mm cable these days.

--
*Velcro - what a rip off!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #18   Report Post  
Old February 16th 19, 01:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,040
Default 10mm^2 connector

ARW wrote:

On 14/02/2019 12:32, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 February 2019 23:42:44 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Does anyone know of a readily available connector to directly connect
some 10mm T&E to 2.5mm T&E, that will go in a reasonably small box? I
suppose I could use just some of the strands, but that would be rather
poor practice. The best I have thought of (and have) is a surplus DIN
main switch, left on of course. Any superior ideas?

Cooker outlet plate on a back box.

Owain


I should want to glue in a bit of plastic to block the outlet, but
otherwise that is the neatest suggestion yet.



Normally the outlet is blocked until you break it out.


That's good! I've never seen a new one.
--

Roger Hayter
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas Hob Connection 10mm pipe Mo Thanku UK diy 5 November 9th 04 09:25 PM
10mm Steel Rod 1m NealUK UK diy 13 August 26th 04 02:41 AM
Using 10MM pipe for bathroom and kitchen taps Peter Charlwood UK diy 4 November 17th 03 04:49 PM
what to use for sawing 10mm veneers(for knife handles)?? Stephen Woodworking 2 October 14th 03 05:33 PM
Cooker outlet plates and 10mm cables Graham Gibson UK diy 5 August 27th 03 06:36 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017