DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Diamond grit sharpening stones (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/631012-diamond-grit-sharpening-stones.html)

[email protected] February 12th 19 07:25 AM

Diamond grit sharpening stones

Hello all.

I'm after a diamond grit sharpening stone. I intend to use it for general purpose sharpening, as well as flattening my Jap water stones.

I notice that "DMT DiaSharp" seems to be a premium product in diamond grit sharpening stones (judging by the price, at least). On the other hand, there are a lot of cheapo items on eBay that are less than half the price of a DMT of equivalent size.

My working assumption is that the DMT products will be better made (flatter, more durable, more uniform grit etc.), but does anyone have anything positive to say about cheap diamond grit sharpening stones? Source?

Thanks.

Bill.

harry February 12th 19 07:53 AM

On Tuesday, 12 February 2019 06:25:52 UTC, wrote:
Hello all.

I'm after a diamond grit sharpening stone. I intend to use it for general purpose sharpening, as well as flattening my Jap water stones.

I notice that "DMT DiaSharp" seems to be a premium product in diamond grit sharpening stones (judging by the price, at least). On the other hand, there are a lot of cheapo items on eBay that are less than half the price of a DMT of equivalent size.

My working assumption is that the DMT products will be better made (flatter, more durable, more uniform grit etc.), but does anyone have anything positive to say about cheap diamond grit sharpening stones? Source?

Thanks.

Bill.

There are less diamonds in cheapo stones and they are slower cutting/less effective.
I suspect the diamonds may also be smaller in the cheaper ones.

You notice this when cutting very hard things, eg granite.

Bob Minchin[_4_] February 12th 19 11:56 AM

On 12/02/2019 06:25, wrote:
Hello all.

I'm after a diamond grit sharpening stone. I intend to use it for general purpose sharpening, as well as flattening my Jap water stones.

I notice that "DMT DiaSharp" seems to be a premium product in diamond grit sharpening stones (judging by the price, at least). On the other hand, there are a lot of cheapo items on eBay that are less than half the price of a DMT of equivalent size.

My working assumption is that the DMT products will be better made (flatter, more durable, more uniform grit etc.), but does anyone have anything positive to say about cheap diamond grit sharpening stones? Source?

Thanks.

Bill.

If you need to to reference flatten your Japanese stones then I'd by the
best.
I have some small no-name ones to touch up carbide metal turning tools
where anything will do and they are fine as are ALDI diamond files.

I presume you are a woodworker and need plane irons to be dead
straight/flat hence the Japanese stones. The other method woodies favour
is the scary-sharp method where the flatness comes from float glass.
I do a lot of woodwork but virtually no hand tools. My Tormek is more
than adequate for planer thicknesser knives and the saw blades go off to
the local saw doctor for attention.

Bob

TimW February 12th 19 12:30 PM

On 12/02/2019 06:25, wrote:
Hello all.

I'm after a diamond grit sharpening stone. I intend to use it for general purpose sharpening, as well as flattening my Jap water stones.

I notice that "DMT DiaSharp" seems to be a premium product in diamond grit sharpening stones (judging by the price, at least). On the other hand, there are a lot of cheapo items on eBay that are less than half the price of a DMT of equivalent size.

My working assumption is that the DMT products will be better made (flatter, more durable, more uniform grit etc.), but does anyone have anything positive to say about cheap diamond grit sharpening stones? Source?

Thanks.

Bill.

I have used plenty of cheap diamond stones. They are great, but they do
deteriorate. I used to go through them when I was working as a pro on
restoration projects but the need to keep tools razor sharp all week
while planing off 300 years of paint and old nail heads was pretty
unusual. I think the resins which bond the diamonds must be a bit
inferior, or the flexing of the backing weakens the bonding maybe.

Even a plastic backed diamond stone is far flatter than the old double
sided whetstone (once used and a bit worn) so totally adequate. And a
plane blade I would always have a little rounded unless it's for a
specific purpose like jointing. Also great not to have oil around your
wood, just water or spit to grind with.

TW

Rod Speed February 12th 19 07:50 PM

"TimW" wrote in message
On 12/02/2019 06:25, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
of what all that led paint has done to your IQ |-(

TimW February 12th 19 07:55 PM

On 12/02/2019 18:50, Rod Speed wrote:

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
of what all that led paint has done to your IQ |-(

Are you stalking me?
I am a middle aged man with a belly. Go and stalk someone else.

TW

Rod Speed February 12th 19 09:21 PM

"TimW" wrote in message
On 12/02/2019 18:50, Rod Speed wrote:

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
of what all that lead paint has done to your IQ |-(

Jim K.. February 13th 19 06:41 PM

TimW Wrote in message:
On 12/02/2019 18:50, Rod Speed wrote:

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
of what all that led paint has done to your IQ |-(

Are you stalking me?
I am a middle aged man with a belly. Go and stalk someone else.

TW

Teaser!
--
Jim K