Old February 11th 19, 03:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default System boiler or conventional when replacing combi

Large extension added to my 3 bed property. Combi has been a pain in the arse
and now won't cut it with 2 main bathrooms.

My question is should I go for a system boiler with an unvented cylinder or
get a conventional boiler and have pressurised ch and again an unvented hot
water cylinder?

Plumbing in the extension hasn't started yet and I plan to put the unvented
cylinder in the gurage.

My plans were for the system boiler but I met a plumber who said to go
conventional.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...i-1345914-.htm

Old February 11th 19, 05:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 14:44, Darksyphon wrote:
Large extension added to my 3 bed property. Combi has been a pain in the
arse
and now won't cut it with 2 main bathrooms.

My question is should I go for a system boiler with an unvented cylinder or
get a conventional boiler and have pressurised ch and again an unvented hot
water cylinder?

Plumbing in the extension hasn't started yet and I plan to put the unvented
cylinder in the gurage.

My plans were for the system boiler but I met a plumber who said to go
conventional.

A conventional boiler with a cold water tank and a hot water cylinder
allows the use of an immersion heater to provide hot water if the boiler
fails. Simpler boiler with less to go wrong.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide which alternative you prefer. I am
just about to go to a property which has a system combi boiler that is
not working, so I will be cold and have no hot water (kettles apart)
until I fix the problem.

--
Michael Chare
Old February 11th 19, 05:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 14:44, Darksyphon wrote:
Large extension added to my 3 bed property. Combi has been a pain in the
arse
and now won't cut it with 2 main bathrooms.

My question is should I go for a system boiler with an unvented cylinder or
get a conventional boiler and have pressurised ch and again an unvented hot
water cylinder?

Plumbing in the extension hasn't started yet and I plan to put the unvented
cylinder in the gurage.

My plans were for the system boiler but I met a plumber who said to go
conventional.

A system boiler implies a conventional system. You have a choice of
unvented, vented or thermal store.

I went for the thermal store as the cylinder isn't pressurised so
doesn't need inspection and testing while still having high pressure hot
water.

Old February 11th 19, 05:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 16:46, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

TBH I suppose I just did the first inspection and test of my pressurised
cylinder in 16 years after replacing all the pressure bits... :-)

Personally I'd still go for a pressurised system

Thermal store almost as good.

Combi = ****ing awful unless you get a huge one

--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Old February 11th 19, 05:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Combis are good for a small house or flat. They can only realistically
supply a single outlet with hot water.

They are usually much larger than needed for heating so often cycle on
and off.

Old February 11th 19, 06:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 February 2019 16:50:05 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

TBH I suppose I just did the first inspection and test of my pressurised
cylinder in 16 years after replacing all the pressure bits... :-)

Personally I'd still go for a pressurised system

Thermal store almost as good.

Combi = ****ing awful unless you get a huge one

My first experience of a combi was having to turn the shower up to blast otherwise the combi kept cutting out. £££waste.

NT
Old February 11th 19, 06:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Can depend on location. Thermal store in old house suffered from major
scale up in the small bore pipes that run through the thermal store to
provide HW. Filling a bath ended up being so slow that water was
cooling down faster than hot water being supplied. Just barely
acceptable for shower or washing up. Probably worse than a combi. A
Water softener may have helped but there wasn't one fitted,

Combi = ****ing awful unless you get a huge one

--
Chris B (News)
Old February 11th 19, 06:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 17:45, Chris B wrote:
[...]

Might have been a pain to do but I don't see a problem with running a
descaler through the coils.

Old February 11th 19, 07:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I think anyone who doesn’t fit a water softener in a hard area in a
property they expect to inhabit for a decade or more is a numpty

The damage done to shower fitments especially is massive. Not to mention
the internals of a complex hot water system

I think IF you are going to upgrade a DHW system fitting a softener is
probably step 1. Even a combi will scale up eventually.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Old February 11th 19, 07:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 17:55, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

I think the difficulty is the problem.

--
“Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith