Old February 11th 19, 10:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing Bakelite

In message , Graeme
writes
In message ,
writes
On Monday, 11 February 2019 11:47:29 UTC, Graeme wrote:

A vintage radio site suggests Araldite as an adhesive - unless anyone
has a better idea?

Epoxy works but do support the join with the added plate.

Thanks all. Araldite seems to be the way forward, with a strip of
brass underneath, all wafted over with blowtorch or possibly hot air
gun.

JOOI, this is a pre war Bayko base, from when the product was true
Bakelite, and called Bayko Light Engineering. Bayko Light. Geddit?

I've still got my Bayko, and I'm pretty sure one of the green bases got
broken in half, and it was repaired with what would have been ordinary
domestic glue in the early 1950s (probably the Croyde brown stuff, which
I can still remember the smell and taste of!). Last time I looked at it,
the join was still holding fast.

I wonder how much Bayko is still around these days?
--
Ian

Old February 11th 19, 11:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 11:47, Graeme wrote:

Anyone experience of repairing Bakelite?* I have a piece about 7 inches
square which has snapped in half.* Thickness about 1/12 of an inch. Plan
is to glue the two edges and hold together, then add a plate on the
underside - brass, or possibly plastic, glued in place.

A vintage radio site suggests Araldite as an adhesive - unless anyone
has a better idea?

Araldite - use the 24 hour stuff and not the 10 minute variety. If
there are any missing pieces or gaps in the join the old trick was to
file down some "scrap" bakelite of the same colour and use it as a
filler in the epoxy.

Old February 12th 19, 08:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes

I wonder how much Bayko is still around these days?

Quite a lot. It was produced for 30 years, and was a big seller at one
time. Typing Bayko into eBay this morning results in 375 listings, so
plenty to choose from.
--
Graeme
Old February 12th 19, 08:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

JOOI, this is a pre war Bayko base, from when the product was true
Bakelite, and called Bayko Light Engineering. Bayko Light. Geddit?

But not the origin of the name. It was developed by the
Belgian-American chemist Leo Baekeland in New York in 1907 and
he formed the General Bakelite Company in 1910.

It sounds, from your description, as if someone found a way of
'stealing' a Registered Trade Mark.

I don't think Bayko was stealing the name. Bayko Light was merely a
play on words, emphasising the Bakelite used in the product, much like
Hornby Dublo was a play on Hornby Double O, emphasising the then new 00
gauge.
--
Graeme
Old February 12th 19, 08:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Ian Jackson
writes

I wonder how much Bayko is still around these days?

Quite a lot. It was produced for 30 years, and was a big seller at one
time.

Indeed. It was sort-of the Lego of its time.

Typing Bayko into eBay this morning results in 375 listings, so plenty
to choose from.

I hadn't checked for a while. Yes - I see Ebay has a lot. The first hit
from a quick Google is a kit for 18.99 from Oxfam. Time to de-clutter /
donate, I think!
--
Ian

Old February 12th 19, 08:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

There's a box in our loft.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 12th 19, 08:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 08:31:51 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

JOOI, this is a pre war Bayko base, from when the product was true
Bakelite, and called Bayko Light Engineering. Bayko Light. Geddit?

But not the origin of the name. It was developed by the
Belgian-American chemist Leo Baekeland in New York in 1907 and
he formed the General Bakelite Company in 1910.

It sounds, from your description, as if someone found a way of
'stealing' a Registered Trade Mark.

I don't think Bayko was stealing the name. Bayko Light was merely a
play on words, emphasising the Bakelite used in the product, much like
Hornby Dublo was a play on Hornby Double O, emphasising the then new 00
gauge.

I never realised that because I pronounced it "dooblo"
--
Dave W
Old February 13th 19, 08:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave W
writes
wrote:
Hornby Dublo was a play on Hornby Double O, emphasising the then new 00
gauge.

I never realised that because I pronounced it "dooblo"

Shame on you :-) You are far from alone though, and then there are the
eBay sellers who insist on listing Hornby Duplo ...

--
Graeme
Old February 13th 19, 07:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
In message , Dave W
writes
wrote:
Hornby Dublo was a play on Hornby Double O, emphasising the then new 00
gauge.

I never realised that because I pronounced it "dooblo"

Shame on you :-) You are far from alone though, and then there are the
eBay sellers who insist on listing Hornby Duplo ...

All sorts of Trixs take place on there.

GH

Old February 13th 19, 10:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2019 19:21, Marland wrote:
Graeme wrote:
In message , Dave W
writes
wrote:
Hornby Dublo was a play on Hornby Double O, emphasising the then new 00
gauge.

I never realised that because I pronounced it "dooblo"

Shame on you :-) You are far from alone though, and then there are the
eBay sellers who insist on listing Hornby Duplo ...

All sorts of Trixs take place on there.

Even Mini ones.

SteveW