Old February 11th 19, 10:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disposal of roofing felt

This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the
currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to
include 1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed before fibre
glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a hazardous
material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of teams of guys
wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But 1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Thanks,

Harry

Old February 11th 19, 10:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 10:42, Harold Davis wrote:
This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the
currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to
include £1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed before fibre
glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a hazardous
material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of teams of guys
wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But £1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Thanks,

Harry

Check with your local council?
https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/resid...-waste-charges
Old February 11th 19, 11:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I recently helped my neighbour to dismantle a carport with a felt roof. Some of it went in a skip we had that was partially filled and the rest we disposed of at our local recycling centre taking it down in his fathers trailer. Neither the skip company or the attendants at the recycle centre batted an eyelid and we were observed and they were aware of what was being disposed off. Sounds like a nice little earner for the roofing company.

Richard
Old February 11th 19, 11:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in
:

Harold Davis Wrote in
message:
This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing
the currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the
house, to include 1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed
before fibre glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a
hazardous material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of
teams of guys wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But 1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Ring a skip company & ask?
Tactically, ring a skip company outside your area, just in case
it's a cosy setup ;-)

Thanks everyone.

I rang the council's landfill centre and they quoted me about 170 per
tonne if I bring it in myself. I also looked at websites of a few places
that sell roofing felt, and it seems that the weight is about 2kg per
square metre, so with about 50 square metres I'll have about 0.1 tonne to
get rid of. I forgot to ask whether there was a minimum charge, so it may
cost 17 or perhaps as much as 70 plus all the hassle of cutting it up
and making several journeys in the car, but 1400 seems totally
ridiculous. So now I'm sceptical about everything else in the quote too.

Harry
Old February 11th 19, 11:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote in
:

"Jim K.." wrote in
:

Harold Davis Wrote in
message:

so it may cost 17 or perhaps as much as 70 plus all the
hassle of cutting it up and making several journeys in the car, but
1400 seems totally ridiculous.

I mean 170 if there's a 1 tonne minimum but the guy didn't say there was.
In any case 1400 makes it sound as though the roofer added an extra zero.
This is on top of a quote of about 10000 for replacing a 50 square metre
felt roof with fibre glass.

Please don't envy me for living on the scammer-rich Isle of Lewis.

Harry

Old February 11th 19, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis Wrote in
message:

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old February 11th 19, 01:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 10:42, Harold Davis wrote:
This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the
currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to
include £1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed before fibre
glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a hazardous
material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of teams of guys
wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But £1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Thanks,

Harry

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

He's ripping you off...

--
Email does not work
Old February 11th 19, 01:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:37:43 -0000 (UTC), Harold Davis wrote:

This is on top of a quote of about 10000 for replacing a 50 square
metre felt roof with fibre glass.

4 or 5 years ago it cost us 6k ish for a 13 x 4 m (52 sq m) flat
roof in fibre glass. Including removal of old felt and failed
decking, installation of 100 mm celotext between ceiling rafters, new
deck in 22mm OSB3 and the glass fibre covering.

Please don't envy me for living on the scammer-rich Isle of Lewis.

Where have the guys got to come from? Are they having to stay over
night whilst they do the job? Mind you 1080 buys you 4 blokes for 3
overnights @ 70/night (B&B, L, EM) in 2 vans coming from 150 miles
away...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old February 11th 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

Will it all go in one skip? Just curious.

Old February 11th 19, 02:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/02/2019 10:42, Harold Davis wrote:
This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the
currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to
include £1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed before fibre
glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a
hazardous
material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of teams of guys
wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But £1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Thanks,

Harry

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

He's ripping you off...

THis is Scotland and a remote island, so materials come a long
way and that costs a lot. Maybe the Scottish gov
has 'rules'.

I replaced my 5.5 * 2.8 mtre flat garage roof with new 22 ml
OSB3 and EPDM for about £700 for the materials and all the
manky chipboard and bitumen is gradually making its way to the
local recycling centre.