UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31   Report Post  
Old February 12th 19, 06:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2009
Posts: 33,684
Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 12/02/2019 00:36, GB wrote:
On 12/02/2019 00:30, Harold Davis wrote:
GB wrote in :

On 11/02/2019 16:45, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Data point: a small transit sized van has more room in than a 8 yard
skip, and costs less to hire.

I had some stuff to dispose of in MIL's garage. I thought 'not much
there', but it completely filled a hired transit.

Cost all in of the transit was £38 for half a day. Plus, some money for
my son for helping. Compared to £150 +VAT which was the cheapest quote
from the rubbish clearance firms.


The man at the council has now quoted me at around £140 per tonne. So
with
50 sq m and 2 kg per sq m that's 0.1 tonnes for £14. He did say that the
contractor would need a licence whereas I don't so long as I'm throwing
away my own stuff.

I could spend a few hours slashing the felt into 33 pieces of say 1m x
1.5m
and do 2 or 3 journeys in a SEAT Alhambra with the back seats removed and
2nd row folded. That's a lot of slashing, but worth the effort for £1386
minus car fuel.

Harry



Hertz do hourly rentals of vans. Pick up at the local B&Q. That might
save some wear on the SEAT.


Indeed. And you can get a lot more in without dismantling


--
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.”

Herbert Spencer

  #32   Report Post  
Old February 12th 19, 10:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,697
Default Disposal of roofing felt

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 00:30:15 +0000, GB wrote:

I had a lot of trouble with some mattresses I had to get rid of. I was
able to concertina them into the boot of the car, and take each one
separately to the dump. How did you get yours into a blue bag?


Stripped the covers off and dismantled the spring unit. 2nd one was
rolled up tied rolled with some string and taken to the HWRC. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.



  #33   Report Post  
Old February 12th 19, 02:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2018
Posts: 39
Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 11/02/2019 16:44, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 11/02/2019 15:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:51, GB wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

Will it all go in one skip? Just curious.


I would have thought so.


Having been through a fair bit of clearout recently trhis is what it
cost me. (ex of council tax)

8 yard skip £250

Hire a van for a half day and take it to the local tip £45.00

Fill the freelander up and take it to the local tip £7.00 of diesel

Burn it in the back garden £0.00



Perhaps you could also heat your house with it.

Instead of a wood burning stove you could install an "Any old crap"
burning stove.

Instead of £0.00 it could be -ve disposal cost.
  #34   Report Post  
Old February 12th 19, 03:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2009
Posts: 33,684
Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 12/02/2019 14:28, Paul Welsh wrote:
On 11/02/2019 16:44, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 11/02/2019 15:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:51, GB wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

Will it all go in one skip? Just curious.


I would have thought so.


Having been through a fair bit of clearout recently trhis is what it
cost me. (ex of council tax)

8 yard skip £250

Hire a van for a half day and take it to the local tip £45.00

Fill the freelander up and take it to the local tip £7.00 of diesel

Burn it in the back garden £0.00



Perhaps you could also heat your house with it.

Instead of a wood burning stove you could install an "Any old crap"
burning stove.

Instead of £0.00 it could be -ve disposal cost.


Prolly COULD burn it in the woodburner


--
Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have
guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Josef Stalin
  #35   Report Post  
Old February 12th 19, 04:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,174
Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 12/02/2019 00:36, GB wrote:
On 12/02/2019 00:30, Harold Davis wrote:
GB wrote in :

On 11/02/2019 16:45, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Data point: a small transit sized van has more room in than a 8 yard
skip, and costs less to hire.

I had some stuff to dispose of in MIL's garage. I thought 'not much
there', but it completely filled a hired transit.

Cost all in of the transit was £38 for half a day. Plus, some money for
my son for helping. Compared to £150 +VAT which was the cheapest quote
from the rubbish clearance firms.


The man at the council has now quoted me at around £140 per tonne. So
with
50 sq m and 2 kg per sq m that's 0.1 tonnes for £14. He did say that the
contractor would need a licence whereas I don't so long as I'm throwing
away my own stuff.

I could spend a few hours slashing the felt into 33 pieces of say 1m x
1.5m
and do 2 or 3 journeys in a SEAT Alhambra with the back seats removed and
2nd row folded. That's a lot of slashing, but worth the effort for £1386
minus car fuel.

Harry



Hertz do hourly rentals of vans. Pick up at the local B&Q. That might
save some wear on the SEAT.


Many council tips won't let Vans in though...

--
Cheers,

John.

/================================================== ===============\
| Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
\================================================= ================/


  #36   Report Post  
Old February 12th 19, 05:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2009
Posts: 33,684
Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 12/02/2019 16:58, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/02/2019 00:36, GB wrote:
On 12/02/2019 00:30, Harold Davis wrote:
GB wrote in :

On 11/02/2019 16:45, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Data point: a small transit sized van has more room in than a 8 yard
skip, and costs less to hire.

I had some stuff to dispose of in MIL's garage. I thought 'not much
there', but it completely filled a hired transit.

Cost all in of the transit was £38 for half a day. Plus, some money
for
my son for helping. Compared to £150 +VAT which was the cheapest quote
from the rubbish clearance firms.

The man at the council has now quoted me at around £140 per tonne. So
with
50 sq m and 2 kg per sq m that's 0.1 tonnes for £14. He did say that the
contractor would need a licence whereas I don't so long as I'm throwing
away my own stuff.

I could spend a few hours slashing the felt into 33 pieces of say 1m
x 1.5m
and do 2 or 3 journeys in a SEAT Alhambra with the back seats removed
and
2nd row folded. That's a lot of slashing, but worth the effort for £1386
minus car fuel.

Harry



Hertz do hourly rentals of vans. Pick up at the local B&Q. That might
save some wear on the SEAT.


Many council tips won't let Vans in though...

drive to one that will...


--
"I guess a rattlesnake ain't risponsible fer bein' a rattlesnake, but ah
puts mah heel on um jess the same if'n I catches him around mah chillun".

  #37   Report Post  
Old February 12th 19, 05:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,863
Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 12/02/2019 16:58, John Rumm wrote:

Many council tips won't let Vans in though...


Ours does allow vans, but you have to book the day before, and bring ID
showing you are a householder in the borough.

It was a real problem the time before, when we turned up with a drop
side truck. I hadn't read the web page closely enough, but they let us
in, anyway.

  #38   Report Post  
Old February 13th 19, 11:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2012
Posts: 926
Default Disposal of roofing felt

Our council requires us to have a residents permit which is free on providing resident proof to use the waste sites but they do take asbestos for free and vans are permitted on application for a van permit.

Richard
  #39   Report Post  
Old February 13th 19, 12:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,465
Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 12/02/2019 15:30, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 12/02/2019 14:28, Paul Welsh wrote:
On 11/02/2019 16:44, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 11/02/2019 15:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:51, GB wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

Will it all go in one skip? Just curious.


I would have thought so.


Having been through a fair bit of clearout recently trhis is what it
cost me. (ex of council tax)

8 yard skip £250

Hire a van for a half day and take it to the local tip £45.00

Fill the freelander up and take it to the local tip £7.00 of diesel

Burn it in the back garden £0.00



Perhaps you could also heat your house with it.

Instead of a wood burning stove you could install an "Any old crap"
burning stove.

Instead of £0.00 it could be -ve disposal cost.


Prolly COULD burn it in the woodburner



Burning old chipboard and bitumen is seriously bad for the
environment and your neighbours. Stupid idea. Do you burn
your old car tyres as well ?.
  #40   Report Post  
Old February 13th 19, 01:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,863
Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 13/02/2019 12:41, Andrew wrote:

Burning old chipboard and bitumen is seriously bad for the
environment and your neighbours. Stupid idea. Do you burn
your old car tyres as well ?.


I had a mate, who burned chipboard in his woodburner in his workshop. He
had a lot of medical issues, and he got diagnosed with possible Motor
Neurone Disease. Then, the penny dropped, he stopped burning chipboard,
and he made a miraculous recovery.

We can never be sure the chipboard was the problem, but it seems quite
possible.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding roofing felt and drip cap!! Lee Bray Home Repair 5 October 29th 04 12:07 AM
Green roofing "felt" Steve Jones UK diy 3 October 27th 04 01:42 AM
roofing felt detail on external 3D corner (boxing in pipes) Simon UK diy 1 October 14th 04 12:52 PM
Repair roofing felt from inside loft John Rumm UK diy 3 March 2nd 04 12:04 AM
Repairing Holes in Roofing Felt (tiled roof) Stephen Jones UK diy 23 February 5th 04 05:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017