Old February 11th 19, 04:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 11/02/2019 15:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:51, GB wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

Will it all go in one skip? Just curious.

I would have thought so.

Having been through a fair bit of clearout recently trhis is what it
cost me. (ex of council tax)

8 yard skip £250

Hire a van for a half day and take it to the local tip £45.00

Fill the freelander up and take it to the local tip £7.00 of diesel

Burn it in the back garden £0.00

Cut it up with angle grinder and put a little in the bin each week. £0.00.

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

Old February 11th 19, 06:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Data point: a small transit sized van has more room in than a 8 yard
skip, and costs less to hire.

I had some stuff to dispose of in MIL's garage. I thought 'not much
there', but it completely filled a hired transit.

Cost all in of the transit was £38 for half a day. Plus, some money for
my son for helping. Compared to £150 +VAT which was the cheapest quote
from the rubbish clearance firms.

Old February 11th 19, 08:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote

I recently helped my neighbour to dismantle a carport with a felt
roof. Some of it went in a skip we had that was partially filled and
the rest we disposed of at our local recycling centre taking it down
in his fathers trailer. Neither the skip company or the attendants at
the recycle centre batted an eyelid and we were observed and they
were aware of what was being disposed off. Sounds like a nice little
earner for the roofing company.

Or the roofing company gets treated differently at the dump they have to
use.

Old February 11th 19, 11:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 06:33:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

The slow free way is to put some in the household bins each week.

Yep, amazing what will fit in a blue bag. Two single divan beds, one
matress and two sofas have left here via that method. Admitedl not
all the sofas went that way the bigger bit's of wood became firewood.
B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old February 12th 19, 12:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
idual.net:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:37:43 -0000 (UTC), Harold Davis wrote:

This is on top of a quote of about 10000 for replacing a 50 square

metre felt roof with fibre glass.

4 or 5 years ago it cost us 6k ish for a 13 x 4 m (52 sq m) flat
roof in fibre glass. Including removal of old felt and failed
decking, installation of 100 mm celotext between ceiling rafters, new
deck in 22mm OSB3 and the glass fibre covering.

Please don't envy me for living on the scammer-rich Isle of Lewis.

Where have the guys got to come from? Are they having to stay over
night whilst they do the job? Mind you 1080 buys you 4 blokes for 3
overnights @ 70/night (B&B, L, EM) in 2 vans coming from 150 miles
away...

There is no 150 miles away from here that wouldn't involve a ferry.

They would be coming from about 25 miles away.

Harry
Old February 12th 19, 12:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote in :

Data point: a small transit sized van has more room in than a 8 yard
skip, and costs less to hire.

I had some stuff to dispose of in MIL's garage. I thought 'not much
there', but it completely filled a hired transit.

Cost all in of the transit was £38 for half a day. Plus, some money for
my son for helping. Compared to £150 +VAT which was the cheapest quote
from the rubbish clearance firms.

The man at the council has now quoted me at around 140 per tonne. So with
50 sq m and 2 kg per sq m that's 0.1 tonnes for 14. He did say that the
contractor would need a licence whereas I don't so long as I'm throwing
away my own stuff.

I could spend a few hours slashing the felt into 33 pieces of say 1m x 1.5m
and do 2 or 3 journeys in a SEAT Alhambra with the back seats removed and
2nd row folded. That's a lot of slashing, but worth the effort for 1386
minus car fuel.

Harry
Old February 12th 19, 12:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/02/2019 00:30, Harold Davis wrote:

[...]

Hertz do hourly rentals of vans. Pick up at the local B&Q. That might
save some wear on the SEAT.
Old February 12th 19, 06:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote in :

[...]

Those are the sort of sums that made me determoine that renovating my
house was going to be done by me, to my standards, not at £200 a day to
some cints slapdash standards.

Harry

--
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.”

Herbert Spencer