Old February 11th 19, 02:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disposal of roofing felt

On Monday, 11 February 2019 11:33:46 UTC, Harold Davis wrote:
"Jim K.." wrote in
:
Harold Davis Wrote in
message:

This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing
the currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the
house, to include £1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed
before fibre glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a
hazardous material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of
teams of guys wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But £1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Ring a skip company & ask?
Tactically, ring a skip company outside your area, just in case
it's a cosy setup ;-)

Thanks everyone.

I rang the council's landfill centre and they quoted me about £170 per
tonne if I bring it in myself. I also looked at websites of a few places
that sell roofing felt, and it seems that the weight is about 2kg per
square metre, so with about 50 square metres I'll have about 0.1 tonne to
get rid of. I forgot to ask whether there was a minimum charge, so it may
cost £17 or perhaps as much as £70 plus all the hassle of cutting it up
and making several journeys in the car, but £1400 seems totally
ridiculous. So now I'm sceptical about everything else in the quote too.

Harry

There will be 2 or 3 layers of felt on the roof.
You shouldn't pay anything at the dump if you have a car. It's waste from your house and can go in the general waste bin. But yes you may get hassle if they spot it, as they think you might be a roofer.

The slow free way is to put some in the household bins each week.

NT

Old February 11th 19, 02:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/02/2019 10:42, Harold Davis wrote:
This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the
currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to
include £1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed before fibre
glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a
hazardous
material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of teams of guys
wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But £1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Thanks,

Harry

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

He's ripping you off...

I wonder if they've priced it for ripping off asbestos roofing felt
that's in poor condition.

--
Robin
Old February 11th 19, 02:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 February 2019 14:30:42 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/02/2019 10:42, Harold Davis wrote:

This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the
currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to
include £1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed before fibre
glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a
hazardous
material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of teams of guys
wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But £1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Thanks,

Harry

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

He's ripping you off...

THis is Scotland and a remote island, so materials come a long
way and that costs a lot. Maybe the Scottish gov
has 'rules'.

I replaced my 5.5 * 2.8 mtre flat garage roof with new 22 ml
OSB3 and EPDM for about £700 for the materials and all the
manky chipboard and bitumen is gradually making its way to the
local recycling centre.

FWLIW if you wanted a path or shed floor you could always heat the old felt up to over 200C & tamp it down. Chop it first for a neat result.

NT
Old February 11th 19, 03:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 February 2019 10:42:04 UTC, Harold Davis wrote:
This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the
currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to
include £1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed before fibre
glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a hazardous
material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of teams of guys
wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But £1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Thanks,

Harry

The easy solution is to DIY with butyl rubber.
(Fish pond liner) Put on top of the existing felt.
Nail periphery with battens.

If windy, lay some heavy timber baulks on top.

£200 fo entire job?

Or use box profile steel sheet. Easy DIY job.

Old February 11th 19, 03:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Often companies get shafted by local authorities as they consider they will
have a lot of whatever it is. It is probably cheaper to get it off and take
it to the tip yourself a bit at a time.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
I recently helped my neighbour to dismantle a carport with a felt roof. Some
of it went in a skip we had that was partially filled and the rest we
disposed of at our local recycling centre taking it down in his fathers
trailer. Neither the skip company or the attendants at the recycle centre
batted an eyelid and we were observed and they were aware of what was being
disposed off. Sounds like a nice little earner for the roofing company.

Richard

Old February 11th 19, 03:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/02/2019 10:42, Harold Davis wrote:
This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing the
currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the house, to
include £1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed before fibre
glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a
hazardous
material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of teams of guys
wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But £1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Thanks,

Harry

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

He's ripping you off...

I burnt mine

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Old February 11th 19, 03:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2019 13:51, GB wrote:
On 11/02/2019 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:

Cobblers - it goes in the skip. Mine did.

Will it all go in one skip? Just curious.

I would have thought so.

--
Email does not work

Old February 11th 19, 04:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 February 2019 11:37:45 UTC, Harold Davis wrote:
Please don't envy me for living on the scammer-rich Isle of Lewis.

They are charging you for the ferry. And the whisky consumed on the ferry. And for the waiting time at the tip. And for the whisky consumed while waiting at the tip. And for the whisky for the boys at the tip to unload specially slowly so they have more time to drink whisky.

At those prices they may also be charging you for the diesel used by the ferry!

Owain