Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler overrun

In have been running the cottage heating on tick-over (all the roomstats
set to 15 deg. C)
Yesterday I found the system had depressurised!

Apart from the panic about screws through underfloor heating pipes:-)
what would happen to a W plan system during a power outage?
The Veissman boiler has several minutes of circulation on the internal
pump and the system is happy with DHW thermostat reaching set
temperature and there being no call for room heating.

Based on the thermal expansion figures and discussion in here I
calculated that the vessel fitted in the boiler would do the job. There
was a fair bit of teeth sucking from the boiler installers but they
didn't offer any alternative calculations.

Looking at the sizing tables from the vessel manufacturers, I am a fair
bit under the recommendations. Could this be why?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 February 2019 19:33:38 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

what would happen to a W plan system during a power outage?

everything stops & goes out, except the pilot light if a boiler has one. What is the unknown there?

The Veissman boiler has several minutes of circulation on the internal
pump and the system is happy with DHW thermostat reaching set
temperature and there being no call for room heating.

Based on the thermal expansion figures and discussion in here I
calculated that the vessel fitted in the boiler would do the job. There
was a fair bit of teeth sucking from the boiler installers but they
didn't offer any alternative calculations.

Looking at the sizing tables from the vessel manufacturers, I am a fair
bit under the recommendations. Could this be why?

You can always leave some air in the top of a large enough radiator.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 19:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
In have been running the cottage heating on tick-over (all the roomstats
set to 15 deg. C)
Yesterday I found the system had depressurised!

Apart from the panic about screws through underfloor heating pipes:-)
what would happen to a W plan system during a power outage?
The Veissman boiler has several minutes of circulation on the internal
pump and the system is happy with DHW thermostat reaching set
temperature and there being no call for room heating.

Based on the thermal expansion figures and discussion in here I
calculated that theĀ* vessel fitted in the boiler would do the job. There
was a fair bit of teeth sucking from the boiler installers but they
didn't offer any alternative calculations.

Looking at the sizing tables from the vessel manufacturers, I am a fair
bit under the recommendations. Could this be why?

The way to tell would be to use a rubber band and a sandwich bag tied
over the end of the pressure relief pipe. If at any point it does vent,
you would see some water collected in the bag. (normally it would remain
empty).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

This has happened once in about 4 months! The consumer unit is next to
the boiler so I can knock the power off while the boiler is running full
chat and watch the pressure gauge.

I'm just gathering the intestinal fortitude to try it:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
On 10/02/2019 20:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
writes
On Sunday, 10 February 2019 19:33:38 UTC, Tim Lamb* wrote:

what would happen to a W plan system during a power outage?

everything stops & goes out, except the pilot light if a boiler has
one. What is the unknown there?

Er.. whether the thermal energy in the heat exchanger is sufficient
to overpressure the system with no circulation.

The pump overrun is there to remove the excess heat from the boiler.

The worst a powercut can do on a W plan is cause an overheat trip on
the boiler stat.

Hmm.. the only symptom of an issue was the unexpected zero pressure
reading. Fired up and operated normally without any other adjustments.

--
Tim Lamb

Boiler overrun Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 3 March 31st 18 07:46 PM
Boiler with no pump overrun Gypsygirl Home Repair 7 January 23rd 13 10:35 AM
Baxi Solo 3 Boiler clicking relay after pump overrun MARTINHOG UK diy 5 May 29th 06 11:20 PM
CH Wiring Queries - Pump Overrun? Matthew UK diy 4 March 26th 05 02:06 PM
Central heating Pump Overrun Malcolm H UK diy 29 January 7th 04 12:34 AM