Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Avery Berkel scales question

I have a set of the above scales (see image)
Does anyone have any knowledge of them as I would like to disconnect the
top part, the small display unit. I can get it off ok and it is
connected by a similar connector to a telephone connection, the problem
is though when I disconnect it the main weighing display on the actual
scales then dont work.
Being ex post office I suspect the 2 displays were electronically
connected so customer and staff could both see the weight.
I dont have sufficient knowledge to mess too much with them so only
asking in case there is an easy fix.

https://imgur.com/a/x4wMw6t
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 17:39, ss wrote:
I have a set of the above scales (see image)
Does anyone have any knowledge of them as I would like to disconnect the
top part, the small display unit. I can get it off ok and it is
connected by a similar connector to a telephone connection, the problem
is though when I disconnect it the main weighing display on the actual
scales then dont work.
Being ex post office I suspect the 2 displays were electronically
connected so customer and staff could both see the weight.
I dont have sufficient knowledge to mess too much with them so only
asking in case there is an easy fix.

https://imgur.com/a/x4wMw6t

Have you tried googling with the model number for a service manual?

It is hardly surprising that the two displays are connected. I
understand that you might want to move the upper display for some sort
of access reasons, but it is almost certainly easier to leave it
electrically connected and tuck it somewhere out of the way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/02/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
Have you tried googling with the model number for a service manual?

Yes to no avail for that model.

It is hardly surprising that the two displays are connected. I
understand that you might want to move the upper display for some sort
of access reasons, but it is almost certainly easier to leave it
electrically connected and tuck it somewhere out of the way.

Yes but it does get in the way it will weigh up to 30 kilo so the boxes
can be large and the secondary diplay gets in the way on ocassion, I
need to centre some boxes on the scales so it overhangs on all sides.
Its just a nuisance but doesnt stop me using it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/02/2019 18:56, ss wrote:
On 10/02/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
Have you tried googling with the model number for a service manual?

Yes to no avail for that model.

It is hardly surprising that the two displays are connected. I
understand that you might want to move the upper display for some sort
of access reasons, but it is almost certainly easier to leave it
electrically connected and tuck it somewhere out of the way.

Yes but it does get in the way it will weigh up to 30 kilo so the boxes
can be large and the secondary diplay gets in the way on ocassion, I
need to centre some boxes on the scales so it overhangs on all sides.
Its just a nuisance but doesnt stop me using it.

What Newshound is suggesting is removing the second display from the top
of the pole, and pulling the cable through. Then tape the display to the
base, out of the way, and connect it up again. Seems worth a try to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss Wrote in message:
On 10/02/2019 18:22, newshound wrote:
Have you tried googling with the model number for a service manual?

Yes to no avail for that model.

It is hardly surprising that the two displays are connected. I
understand that you might want to move the upper display for some sort
of access reasons, but it is almost certainly easier to leave it
electrically connected and tuck it somewhere out of the way.

Yes but it does get in the way it will weigh up to 30 kilo so the boxes
can be large and the secondary diplay gets in the way on ocassion, I
need to centre some boxes on the scales so it overhangs on all sides.
Its just a nuisance but doesnt stop me using it.

So mangle the riser & just leave the top display on the bench but
still connected?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/02/2019 19:19, GB wrote:
What Newshound is suggesting is removing the second display from the top
of the pole, and pulling the cable through. Then tape the display to the
base, out of the way, and connect it up again. Seems worth a try to me.

I have already done variations of that, sometimes I have to move the
scales to the floor as I cant quite lift the heavier boxes up to the
height required so that why I was hoping to do a permanent disconnect
which would make life easier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 20:25:11 +0000, ss wrote:

On 10/02/2019 19:19, GB wrote:
What Newshound is suggesting is removing the second display from the
top of the pole, and pulling the cable through. Then tape the display
to the base, out of the way, and connect it up again. Seems worth a try
to me.

I have already done variations of that, sometimes I have to move the
scales to the floor as I cant quite lift the heavier boxes up to the
height required so that why I was hoping to do a permanent disconnect
which would make life easier.

I suspect that connection of the second display was originally compulsory
to reduce possible fraud by counter staff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 10/02/2019 21:01, Bob Eager wrote:
I suspect that connection of the second display was originally compulsory
to reduce possible fraud by counter staff.

Yes with the displays facing opposite ways. The secondary display is not
required for home use, I may just open it up and see whats in there
although for my electronic knowledge I would be as well looking at a
bowl of spaghetti.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 February 2019 22:31:27 UTC, ss wrote:
On 10/02/2019 21:01, Bob Eager wrote:
I suspect that connection of the second display was originally compulsory
to reduce possible fraud by counter staff.

Yes with the displays facing opposite ways. The secondary display is not
required for home use, I may just open it up and see whats in there
although for my electronic knowledge I would be as well looking at a
bowl of spaghetti.

then forget it, unless you have some electronics skill you're not going to succeed.

NT

avery labels Dave UK diy 32 August 30th 10 06:45 PM
OT BM: 1st Lt. Garrison C. Avery, 23, of Lincoln, Neb. 2006.2237.98.000 Woodworking 0 February 5th 06 03:06 AM
scales compatible w/ Acu-rite display? [email protected] Metalworking 3 January 6th 05 02:18 PM
avery - berkel 1791 scales - any ideas about the rs232 protocol? tja105 Electronics Repair 1 November 3rd 04 10:36 PM
Grit scales for sandpaper and waterstones. Zaster Sap Woodworking 12 June 19th 04 07:07 AM