Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loud banging noise

Potterton puma 80e makes a really loud banging noise when the heating has been
on a while
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 14:14, Sara Lavery wrote:
Potterton puma 80e makes a really loud banging noise when the heating
has been
on a while
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hg

Chuck some boiler silencer into your system:-

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Adey-MC2-Ma...500ml/p/118635

others are available
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 14:14, Sara Lavery wrote:
Potterton puma 80e makes a really loud banging noise when the heating
has been
on a while
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hg

Does it by Jove!

That's good to know.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 14:14:01, Sara Lavery wrote:
Potterton puma 80e makes a really loud banging noise when the heating
has been
on a while
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hg

I'm wondering how the photo helps, apart from getting more hits for the
advertisers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does that stuff really work or just bung up the works?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
On 10/02/2019 14:14, Sara Lavery wrote:
Potterton puma 80e makes a really loud banging noise when the heating has
been
on a while
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hg

Chuck some boiler silencer into your system:-

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Adey-MC2-Ma...500ml/p/118635

others are available

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 16:25, Brian Gaff wrote:
Does that stuff really work or just bung up the works?
Brian

Well it works in my system, it slowly descales any crud in the boiler
and instead of loud bangs every now and again you get a gentle fizzing
sound as the boiler reaches max temperature.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 16:33, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 10/02/2019 16:25, Brian Gaff wrote:
Does that stuff really work or just bung up the works?
Â* Brian

Well it works in my system, it slowly descales any crud in the boiler
and instead of loud bangs every now and again you get a gentle fizzing
sound as the boiler reaches max temperature.

That's assuming the problem is not caused by something like thermostatic
radiator valves closing down and no bypass valve has been installed.

The OP has given insufficient detail about when the problem happens. How
long after the heating starts does the problem occur? Minutes? Hours?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 February 2019 14:14:04 UTC, Sara Lavery wrote:
Potterton puma 80e makes a really loud banging noise when the heating has been
on a while
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/hg

That's a result of localised boiling in the boiler. And that results usually from failure of the pump overrun, clogging of the system, closure of all valves or failure of the boiler stat. It can also be due to scaling in the boiler, but that would be the result of some other problem.

Where to go from here depends on whether it's always been that way in midwinter or whether it's a new thing this year.

A lot of folk here block messages from the website you're using. You can access news:uk.d-i-y on Google groups or with a newsreader app.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 16:25, Brian Gaff wrote:

Does that stuff really work or just bung up the works?

It used to work in my old cast iron lump Mexico... needed a dose every
other year, and it made it significantly quieter.

--
Cheers,

John.