Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bodywork

Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup presented the following explanation :
This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Try Tcut, or Brasso, or chrome cleaner, or toothpaste on a cloth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 18:04, soup wrote:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Â* Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub.Â* Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

There used to be a product available called 'cutting paste/polish', with
which you could gently rub the affected area to remove the scuff.

I think it might still be avaiable from a well know high street motor
accessory shop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup Wrote in message:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

T cut?
Or a coloured version to "match" yr car.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 18:16, Jim K.. wrote:
soup Wrote in message:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

T cut?
Or a coloured version to "match" yr car.

Aldi/Lidl do a kit from time to time coarse and fine.

Their fine gets a better polish than Tcut.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
soup wrote:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

It's not diy, but there is a national franchise chain called Chips Away.
Locally they give god results.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 18:35, charles wrote:
.... snipped

It's not diy, but there is a national franchise chain called Chips Away.
Locally they give god results.

Are they taking-over from vicars? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles Wrote in message:
In article ,
soup wrote:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

It's not diy, but there is a national franchise chain called Chips Away.
Locally they give god results.

What does He drive these days?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 18:04, soup wrote:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Â* Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub.Â* Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

T-Cut or equivalent.

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 19:24, Jim K.. wrote:
charles Wrote in message:
In article ,
soup wrote:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

It's not diy, but there is a national franchise chain called Chips Away.
Locally they give god results.

What does He drive these days?

Fiat Panda GTi
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K.." wrote in message
charles Wrote in message:
In article ,
soup wrote:
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

It's not diy, but there is a national franchise chain called Chips Away.
Locally they give god results.

What does He drive these days?

Something IED proof because those damned rag head don't believe he can be a
god.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If your road is anything like mine its a nightmare for parked cars and the
local fire teams tell me that if they have to attend a fire here many cars
will get damaged. Half the problem is that the powers that be want to stop
cars, but the car makers want to sell them but the local planning regs do
not make sufficient parking for the number of houses, flats etc they build
so you can see the result all over the country.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"soup" wrote in message
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2019 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
If your road is anything like mine its a nightmare for parked cars and the
local fire teams tell me that if they have to attend a fire here many cars
will get damaged. Half the problem is that the powers that be want to stop
cars, but the car makers want to sell them but the local planning regs do
not make sufficient parking for the number of houses, flats etc they build
so you can see the result all over the country.

I think local planning does make provisions for parking in new builds.
The problem is in streets built before car ownership was common place
especially where many houses were converted to flats for multiple
occupancy. I believe that my councils planning department will no longer
approve conversion of a house to flats in many areas unless the
developer makes provision for off road parking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2019 08:57, alan_m wrote:
On 09/02/2019 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
If your road is anything like mine its a nightmare for parked cars and
the
local fire teams tell me that if they have to attend a fire here many
cars
will get damaged. Half the problem is that the powers that be want to
stop
cars, but the car makers want to sell them but the local planning regs do
not make sufficient parking for the number of houses, flats etc they
build
so you can see the result all over the country.

I think local planning does make provisions for parking in new builds.

Never enough though.

For years they only allowed one space per household on many new estates
- to deliberately "encourage" people not to have cars. Of course that
was useless as most couldn't get to and from their workplaces; carry a
week's shopping for a family; get the kids to and from clubs and the
like without.

They may now be making sure that there is more parking now, but even
then it is often only two spaces and frequently one in front of the
other, so one car is blocked in by the other and to avoid that they park
one on the road still.

In reality, many households have a husband and wife, both working and
needing cars. These days, there are often one or more grown-up children
there as well, who cannot afford their own home yet, but also need cars
to be able to work and have a social life, while they build up a
sufficient deposit for their own home.

The problem is in streets built before car ownership was common place
especially where many houses were converted to flats for multiple
occupancy. I believe that my councils planning department will no longer
approve conversion of a house to flats in many areas unless the
developer makes provision for off road parking.

That is a good move!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K.. wrote:

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

It's not diy, but there is a national franchise chain called Chips Away.
Locally they give god results.

What does He drive these days?

Dont know but his son would have a something like a Nissan Qashqai,
.......because it is a crossover.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not all.

Around here, social housing is provided in purposely "car free development"

http://www.carfreehousing.org/whatis.html

This means some local roads away from the complexes are even more
stressed with parking conflicts between near/far residents and
commuters, and requirements to get a parking permit to park outside ya
own house are ever-increasing.

Next move - ye pay extra rates to park in ya own drive...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 09:35:31 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

In already built up places with no room for the cars, there is simply no solution, unless one goes to the expense of constructing under-road parking tunnels. Any other proposed solution is not really one.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

On holidday in Amsterdam, the canal outside our hotel had been drained and
a multi-storey car park was being built downwards. The canal would be
refilled with water after construction finished.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Next move - ye pay extra rates to park in ya own drive...

In Nottingham, employers are charged for providing parking spaces to
their employees and it's mostly re-charged to the employees ... looks
like the idea is spreading

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47177240

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
Someone has delicately scraped into my car . I noticed first the mirror
was knocked, there was also a V small paint scuff on the side.

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

This mark will not come off with spit and rub. Is there anything I can
apply that will take this scuff paint off but leave the proper body
paint underneath unaffected?

Time to invest in a dashcam with a proper full parking mode, so I can
prove who it was and 'cut their gollies off'(or the female equivalent).

better just buying a beater car .....then you just laugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K.. wrote:
T cut?
Or a coloured version to "match" yr car.

It's common to have a clear coat over the colour these days. Even with a
solid colour.

--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tufnell Park wrote:
There used to be a product available called 'cutting paste/polish', with
which you could gently rub the affected area to remove the scuff.

I think it might still be avaiable from a well know high street motor
accessory shop.

Farcla G3. Much faster than T-Cut. But remember all such things remove
some paint as they are abrasive.

--
*England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Next move - ye pay extra rates to park in ya own drive...

In Nottingham, employers are charged for providing parking spaces to
their employees and it's mostly re-charged to the employees ... looks
like the idea is spreading

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47177240

Just heard on the news that 'free' bus travel for OAPs is getting too
expensive to be sustainable.

Yet many councils are spending millions on cycle highways. And cyclists
get 'free' use of the roads too.

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Jim K.. wrote:
T cut?
Or a coloured version to "match" yr car.

It's common to have a clear coat over the colour these days. Even with a
solid colour.

Either type would polish up the clear coat & the coloured flavour
is supposed to disguise deeper scratches...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And cyclists
get 'free' use of the roads too.

Really Dave that old canard?

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.
VED (missnamed by lots as road tax) does NOT go towards road
maintenance/building.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"soup" wrote in message
And cyclists
get 'free' use of the roads too.

Really Dave that old canard?

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.
VED (missnamed by lots as road tax) does NOT go towards road
maintenance/building.

OK. How about putting it this way. Cyclists do not have to pay a tax that
motorists do have to pay, which is not ring-fenced for road
building/maintenance. In that sense, they pay less tax than motorists do.
They do, of course, pay similar income tax and VAT, dependent on their
earnings and their purchases.

Given that VED is graduated partly by vehicle weight, for HGVs, it is hard
to say that it is not related to the damage the heavier vehicles cause and
therefore the greater road maintenance needed, even if there is no formal
link.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 2:21:03 PM UTC, NY wrote:
"soup" wrote in message
And cyclists
get 'free' use of the roads too.

Really Dave that old canard?

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.
VED (missnamed by lots as road tax) does NOT go towards road
maintenance/building.

OK. How about putting it this way. Cyclists do not have to pay a tax that
motorists do have to pay, which is not ring-fenced for road
building/maintenance. In that sense, they pay less tax than motorists do.
They do, of course, pay similar income tax and VAT, dependent on their
earnings and their purchases.

What about this lot?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy-I1CqXQAAEgf_.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup Wrote in message:
And cyclists
get 'free' use of the roads too.

Really Dave that old canard?

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.
VED (missnamed by lots as road tax) does NOT go towards road
maintenance/building.

Only if they own a car...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

For years they only allowed one space per household on many new estates
- to deliberately "encourage" people not to have cars. Of course that
was useless as most couldn't get to and from their workplaces; carry a
week's shopping for a family; get the kids to and from clubs and the
like without.

When the Edwardian estate we used to live on was built, nobody
had a car.Later, as car ownership expanded, householders paved
or tarmaced over their front gardens and got the council to
put in a dropped kerb. The situation has now deteriorated to
the stage where it is bot unusual to find two or even three
cars parked side by side, nose on to the house, with the rear
ends over half of the footway.

About three year or so ago, the council announced that they
would not grant planning permission for a dropped kerb unless
the frontage was at least as deep as a car length.

It is a very large estate and I can't recall ever seeing a
single house with a frontage that deep!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 2:18:38 PM UTC, JimK wrote:
soup Wrote in message:
And cyclists
get 'free' use of the roads too.

Really Dave that old canard?

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.
VED (missnamed by lots as road tax) does NOT go towards road
maintenance/building.

Only if they own a car...
--
Jim K

Not one of these though, presumably?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy-I1CqXQAAEgf_.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 2:21:03 PM UTC, NY wrote:

Given that VED is graduated partly by vehicle weight, for HGVs, it is hard
to say that it is not related to the damage the heavier vehicles cause and
therefore the greater road maintenance needed, even if there is no formal
link.

It is dependent on the amount of pollution in the form of CO2 emissions that the vehicle pumps out. Some low polluting cars pay nothing at all, even though they weigh over a tonne.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy-I1CqXQAAEgf_.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
soup wrote:
And cyclists
get 'free' use of the roads too.

Really Dave that old canard?

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.

Bollox. No VED, and no taxation on their fuel.

But are you saying OAPs pay no tax? I've got news for you...

VED (missnamed by lots as road tax) does NOT go towards road
maintenance/building.

Who said anything about any tax being ring fenced?

The expenditure on cycle highways comes from the same pot - a mixture of
local and national taxation - as does any subsidy for OAP bus travel.

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
soup wrote:

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.

Bollox. No VED,

What if they have a car?

and no taxation on their fuel.

Mm no vat on hobnobs and flapjacks (the go to 'fuel' of cyclists
everywhere).

But are you saying OAPs pay no tax? I've got news for you...

How did you get OAPs from anything I 'said'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 4:04:50 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
soup wrote:
And cyclists
get 'free' use of the roads too.

Really Dave that old canard?

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.

Bollox. No VED, and no taxation on their fuel.

Bollox - their fuel is FOOD, which is usually taxed.
Even bottled water is taxed.

Local roads are paid for out of COUNCIL TAX, so when you drive into another county, a non driving cyclist who pays that council tax is paying for the upkeep of the roads that YOUR car is damaging.

Also, if you drive one of these, you pay £0 VED anyway.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy-I1CqXQAAEgf_.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 4:47:00 PM UTC, soup wrote:
In article ,
soup wrote:

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.

Bollox. No VED,

What if they have a car?

Or one of these cars?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy-I1CqXQAAEgf_.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

if you car has clear lacquer finish as most do
its going to be hard to remove the paint transference without damaging your
clear coat
if car is newish you would be best to take to a bodyshop and pay for it to
be done
or if you must diy Tcut put it on with cotton bud let dry then rub off you
may need to repeat quite a few times

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup Wrote in message:
In article ,
soup wrote:

Cyclists pay as much tax as motorists.

Bollox. No VED,

What if they have a car?

and no taxation on their fuel.

Mm no vat on hobnobs and flapjacks (the go to 'fuel' of cyclists
everywhere).

But are you saying OAPs pay no tax? I've got news for you...

How did you get OAPs from anything I 'said'?

plowgrabbing at straws & stereotypes, same as usual...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" Wrote in message:

"soup" wrote in message

Looks like the scuff was so gentle that there is no damage to the
actual metalwork but there is a piece of paint transference.

if you car has clear lacquer finish as most do
its going to be hard to remove the paint transference without damaging your
clear coat
if car is newish you would be best to take to a bodyshop and pay for it to
be done
or if you must diy Tcut put it on with cotton bud let dry then rub off

?
Have you ever used T cut?
--
Jim K