Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12V circuit breaker - polarity sensitive?

I have a hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the boot floor, which
is awkward to get to if I ever need to jump start the car so I've
installed a socket in a more convenient and accessible place and I've
taken two wires directly from the battery to that socket.

The socket is keyed so there's no chance of any reverse polarity
accident occuring if I ever need to use my jump start battery pack but
I need to protect that cable run from any sort of accident resulting in
a short-circuit, so I bought a 12V circuit breaker rated at 30A (the
computers draw less than 20A to get the hybrid system to the 'READY'
state).

My question is - the circuit breaker has one connection labelled as
'Line' and the other one as 'Load', so is there anything in there that
means it will only operate with current flowing in that direction?

The wires from the battery to the socket will have a permanent 12V
supply on them. If I were to plug anything into that socket then
current would flow from battery to socket. However, it's purpose is to
do the reverse and provide 12V from an external source to the flat
battery so current flow would be from socket to battery, so will the
breaker work 'going one way' as an overcurrent device in case of a
fault but also allow current flow in the opposite direction when/if
needed?

Or should I just put a 30A in-line fuse in instead of the breaker?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2019 23:22, Paddy Dzell wrote:
[...]

Google for 'starter motor current'. If a car wont start, I either put
it on charge or just go an buy a new battery using a different vehicle.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 February 2019 01:32:52 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Are you brain dead? There IS no starter motor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-h...car-is-stopped
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare formulated the question :
[...]

A normal starter motor draws upwards of 300A when cranking the engine
but there's no starter motor in a hybrid and all the 12V battery does
is power the entry/exit system and boots the computers to get the
hybrid system to the READY state, a draw of less than 20A.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paddy Dzell wrote:
Google for 'starter motor current'. If a car wont start, I either put it on
charge or just go an buy a new battery using a different vehicle.

A normal starter motor draws upwards of 300A when cranking the engine
but there's no starter motor in a hybrid and all the 12V battery does
is power the entry/exit system and boots the computers to get the
hybrid system to the READY state, a draw of less than 20A.

How does the IC engine start without a starter motor? it may well be a
combined generator and starter, though.

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 07:46, Paddy Dzell wrote:
[...]

I suspect to much depends on the way a particular car works. Some of the
battery packs are 100 to 200 volts which would allow the motors to draw
less current than a normal starter motor.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

So how does the petrol engine in a hybrid vehicle start?

Does it initially drive on battery and engage the drive train somehow to
turn the engine and bump start it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 11:17, Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

Google for 'starter motor current'.Â* If a car wont start, I either
put it on charge or just go an buy a new battery using a different
vehicle.

A normal starter motor draws upwards of 300A when cranking the engine
but there's no starter motor in a hybrid and all the 12V battery does
is power the entry/exit system and boots the computers to get the
hybrid system to the READY state, a draw of less than 20A.

So how does the petrol engine in a hybrid vehicle start?

Does it initially drive on battery and engage the drive train somehow to
turn the engine and bump start it?

The drive motor is the starter motor. Ona Pious at least IIRC. Its a
weird power train designed to share torque betwen electric conventional
and output

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks
I shall be 86 when the 2040(?) petrol/diesel ban comes in and AIUI, this
will also ban hybrids.
If I am still driving by then, my plan will be to buy one of the last
"proper fuelled" cars to see me out

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :
In article ,
Paddy Dzell wrote:
Google for 'starter motor current'. If a car wont start, I either put it
on charge or just go an buy a new battery using a different vehicle.

A normal starter motor draws upwards of 300A when cranking the engine
but there's no starter motor in a hybrid and all the 12V battery does
is power the entry/exit system and boots the computers to get the
hybrid system to the READY state, a draw of less than 20A.

How does the IC engine start without a starter motor? it may well be a
combined generator and starter, though.

The traction battery is located under the back seat and is around 288V.
There's an invertor/convertor that changes that to 650V to feed the two
motors (well, motor/generators) underneath and it's MG1 that acts as a
starter motor for the internal combustion engine.

There is also no alternator and both the power steering and the aircon
compressor are electric, driven from the traction battery. Because the
internal combustion engine (ICE) doesn't run all the time, you can't
have anything that in a 'normal' car would be belt-driven from the
engine. There's no reverse gear either - reverse is achieved by turning
the electric motor in the opposite direction to normal.

Because the 12V battery doesn't have to provide a big cranking current
they tend to be smaller and less capacity than usual and if the car is
stood, say, in an airport car park while you're away on holiday for a
couple of weeks, it's not common but not exactly unusual either, for
the battery to be flat and the car won't start, hence why I fitted this
convenient jumping point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 11:48, Bob Minchin wrote:
I shall be 86 when the 2040(?) petrol/diesel ban comes in and AIUI, this
will also ban hybrids.

I will be dead.

95% probability :-)

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Paddy Dzell wrote:
Google for 'starter motor current'. If a car wont start, I either
put it on charge or just go an buy a new battery using a different
vehicle.

A normal starter motor draws upwards of 300A when cranking the engine
but there's no starter motor in a hybrid and all the 12V battery does
is power the entry/exit system and boots the computers to get the
hybrid system to the READY state, a draw of less than 20A.

How does the IC engine start without a starter motor? it may well be a
combined generator and starter, though.

Like bump starting?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :
In article ,
Paddy Dzell wrote:
[...]

If there was ever an accident or something caused a short-circuit on
these two new wires that I've run to the new socket, the potential
short-circuit current could run into the hundreds of Amps, and those
two wires won't handle that current for long before they melt and
perhaps start a fire, which is why I need an overcurrent device in
there. But I also need said device to allow current to pass the other
way too, when or if I ever need to jump start the car, which is why I'm
asking if a circuit breaker will be alright or should I just use a
fuse?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
So how does the petrol engine in a hybrid vehicle start?

Does it initially drive on battery and engage the drive train somehow to
turn the engine and bump start it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHpSyTsfm0

Essentially there's an ICE, two motors and a planetary gear system.
Depending on the field applied to the motors, they can either apply or
receive (regenerate) power. One of the modes is that a motor can turn over
the ICE and so start it. The design is actually simpler than a regular car
(ICE+gearbox+starter+alternator)

The control system is such that it's smooth through the power curve - it can
move power between the two motors, starting and stopping the ICE as needed,
depending on how much power is required and the state of charge of the
battery.

The Weber Auto YouTube channel above is great for explanation of how
transaxles and hybrids/EVs work.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

** Paddy Dzell wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the explanaion. I suppose an overcurrent device might not
trip if it was damaged in an accident. So maybe a fuse and spares.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paddy Dzell wrote:

I have a hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the boot floor, which
is awkward to get to if I ever need to jump start the car

I have a normal* car, with the 12V battery under the boot floor, but it
has + and - terminals in the engine compartment in case I ever need to
jump start the car (or someone else's).

* actually it describes itself as a "light hybrid".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

I have a normal* car, with the 12V battery under the boot floor, but it
has + and - terminals in the engine compartment in case I ever need to
jump start the car (or someone else's).

* actually it describes itself as a "light hybrid".

My mistake, it's a "mild hybrid", it's still just a ******** marketing
term though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 20:01:37 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Paddy Dzell wrote:

I have a hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the boot floor, which
is awkward to get to if I ever need to jump start the car

I have a normal* car, with the 12V battery under the boot floor, but it
has + and - terminals in the engine compartment in case I ever need to
jump start the car (or someone else's).

It was always a real pain jump starting a Mini...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns submitted this idea :
Paddy Dzell wrote:

I have a hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the boot floor, which is
awkward to get to if I ever need to jump start the car

I have a normal* car, with the 12V battery under the boot floor, but it has +
and - terminals in the engine compartment in case I ever need to jump start
the car (or someone else's).

Yes, my car has one too. However, Sod's Law states that it'll be a
cold, wet, windy night when I need to get the engine bay covers off and
risk losing the little plastic clips while getting cold and wet. My new
socket is in the centre console cubby hole under the arm rest so that I
can do it all from the dryness of the drivers seat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

when the 2040(?) petrol/diesel ban comes in and AIUI, this will also ban
hybrids.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jul/09/hybrid-cars-to-be-exempt-from-2040-petrol-and-diesel-ban
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 22:02, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

when the 2040(?) petrol/diesel ban comes in and AIUI, this will also
ban hybrids.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jul/09/hybrid-cars-to-be-exempt-from-2040-petrol-and-diesel-ban

That seems to be more sensible than the original proposal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paddy Dzell wrote:

I have a hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the boot floor, which
is awkward to get to if I ever need to jump start the car

I have a normal* car, with the 12V battery under the boot floor, but it
has + and - terminals in the engine compartment in case I ever need to
jump start the car (or someone else's).

It was always a real pain jump starting a Mini...

Assuming the battery had enough left for the ignition, simply jack up one
front wheel, put it in top gear, and spin the wheel by hand. Worked a
treat.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 20:25, Bob Eager wrote:
It was always a real pain jump starting a Mini...

Back in the early 80s I had a Mini. One winter I found that if the
overnight temperature was much below zero it wouldn't start. I found I
didn't have to push it very hard to be able to bump start it - single
handed - and it really mattered to me to make the battery last another 6
months. I needed the money.

Then we had snow.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 08/02/2019 20:25, Bob Eager wrote:
It was always a real pain jump starting a Mini...

Back in the early 80s I had a Mini. One winter I found that if the
overnight temperature was much below zero it wouldn't start. I found I
didn't have to push it very hard to be able to bump start it - single
handed - and it really mattered to me to make the battery last another 6
months. I needed the money.

I discovered that with my Mini van too. Until one day it was parked on a
steeply camber road, and I couldn't push it away from the kerb between
parked cars. Hence the jacking up one wheel trick. The happy days of yoof.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 08/02/2019 20:25, Bob Eager wrote:
It was always a real pain jump starting a Mini...

Back in the early 80s I had a Mini. One winter I found that if the
overnight temperature was much below zero it wouldn't start. I found I
didn't have to push it very hard to be able to bump start it - single
handed - and it really mattered to me to make the battery last another 6
months. I needed the money.

I discovered that with my Mini van too. Until one day it was parked on a
steeply camber road, and I couldn't push it away from the kerb between
parked cars. Hence the jacking up one wheel trick. The happy days of yoof.

Never needed that but one day a puncture and no jack so drive it on the
verge and just started digging didn't take that long it was a front
wheel

Re instated verge and drove off!.

Had a Mini van once with a flat on the back had Chris with me tough as
old boots he was, he got out just lit a fag and one hand under the rear
mudguard and car went up whilst i changed the wheel;!

I was in a way more suprised the British Leyland rust didn't give way!!

--
Tony Sayer