Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to repair a cracked ceramic basin?

Following from my tap question, I wonder if there's a way to keep the
basin going for a bit longer. There's currently quite a long crack, but
the basin is on a stand (not a pedestal) so is well supported.
My first thought is to run some thin superglue into the crack and use
epoxy to patch the underneath - any other ideas? Are the ceramic repair
products any good?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Following from my tap question, I wonder if there's a way to keep the
basin going for a bit longer. There's currently quite a long crack, but
the basin is on a stand (not a pedestal) so is well supported.
My first thought is to run some thin superglue into the crack and use
epoxy to patch the underneath - any other ideas? Are the ceramic repair
products any good?

If its just to stop leaking Id try some €ścreeping crack cure€ť. Thats the
product name.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 21:02:15 UTC, wrote:
Following from my tap question, I wonder if there's a way to keep the
basin going for a bit longer. There's currently quite a long crack, but
the basin is on a stand (not a pedestal) so is well supported.
My first thought is to run some thin superglue into the crack and use
epoxy to patch the underneath - any other ideas? Are the ceramic repair
products any good?

superglue dries too fast to do penetrate far.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do not use superglue, its useless at that sort of thing. I think the repair
products to some extent work, as do epoxy products, but won't it look a
little erm bodged?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
Following from my tap question, I wonder if there's a way to keep the
basin going for a bit longer. There's currently quite a long crack, but
the basin is on a stand (not a pedestal) so is well supported.
My first thought is to run some thin superglue into the crack and use
epoxy to patch the underneath - any other ideas? Are the ceramic repair
products any good?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2019 21:13, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
Following from my tap question, I wonder if there's a way to keep the
basin going for a bit longer. There's currently quite a long crack, but
the basin is on a stand (not a pedestal) so is well supported.
My first thought is to run some thin superglue into the crack and use
epoxy to patch the underneath - any other ideas? Are the ceramic repair
products any good?

If its just to stop leaking Id try some €ścreeping crack cure€ť. Thats the
product name.

Tim

Thanks, that looks promising. I've ordered some.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2019 08:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Do not use superglue, its useless at that sort of thing. I think the repair
products to some extent work, as do epoxy products, but won't it look a
little erm bodged?
Brian

The epoxy will be out of sight, underneath.
It's a 1930s Twyfords Ceramant basin and I'd prefer to replace it with
something similar. A repair might buy me time to find one in good
condition in a salvage yard, but hopefully it will last until we get
round to the cloakroom and I might then decide to go "modern" while
decorating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/02/2019 08:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Do not use superglue, its useless at that sort of thing. I think the repair
products to some extent work, as do epoxy products, but won't it look a
little erm bodged?
Brian

We had a corner broken off an acrylic bath at MIL's house. (The things
some tenants do!) It was fixed with white two part wood filler. I got
somebody more skilled than me to do the filling, and you can scarcely
see the join. Fortunately, the bathroom lighting is quite dim, but even
with the portable worklight on it looks good.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-h...ite-550g/45077

I don't know how well it would adhere to ceramic, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
On 11/02/2019 09:07, Jim K.. wrote:
Wrote in message:
On 07/02/2019 08:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
Do not use superglue, its useless at that sort of thing. I think the repair
products to some extent work, as do epoxy products, but won't it look a
little erm bodged?
Brian

The epoxy will be out of sight, underneath.
It's a 1930s Twyfords Ceramant basin

"Ceramant" and "Vitromant" are early types of china not specific
styles."

Yes, that's correct. If you're interested, there's a very detailed
history here
https://www.twyfordbathrooms.com/-/m...9AAEE379FBC82F

"CERAMANT from 1938
Vitreous China. Twice fired. First introduced around 1939 but
production was halted during the Second World War. It was
reintroduced in 1950/51. The new 1957 Alsager Works was
dedicated to the production of Ceramant. A white vitreous (non
porous) clay body of very fine texture with a glazed white or
coloured surface. The clay is vitrified in the firing process so
that to all intents and purposes it is non porous and will not
absorb moisture. It is denser and stronger than earthenware of
the same thickness but dearer. A strong superb quality ware that
will not craze, stain or deteriorate in any way. It will satisfy
the most exacting demands of quality. The most suitable ware for
many fixtures in semi public buildings like hotels, offices,
schools, hospitals etc."

Wonder where yours came from?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Cracked acrylic wash basin Fredxx[_3_] UK diy 9 March 21st 13 01:26 PM
Ceramic disk tap - where to get replacement ceramic disc or repair otherwise? [email protected] UK diy 14 August 13th 09 09:19 AM
Cracked acrylic wash basin Fred UK diy 6 May 26th 06 03:58 PM
I need a neat 15mm hole drilled through a 20mm thick ceramic basin. How is this done? Peter UK diy 4 August 5th 05 01:34 AM
Adding a basin to a toilet with no route for basin waste pipe Richard Hamer UK diy 24 July 22nd 04 12:12 AM