Old February 11th 19, 11:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Economy 7 supply wiring question

Mike Humphrey wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
Mike Humphrey wrote:
It's something to be careful of in multi-rate installations that there's
often not a single switch to cut all power to the building. My house
used to have THTC, which meant there were *four* main switches
(general supply, 24 hour heating, water heating, timed heating). Unless
all four were off, something was still powered or could become powered
under timeswitch control.

That's complicated, did you have four separate incoming cables and main
fuses, or was it all done after the meter?

There's one incoming cable with a main fuse. This then fed a pair of
henley blocks, which split the supply to two meters. One was just a
single-rate mechanical meter, which did the "general supply" and fed a
consumer unit for everything that didn't involve heating. The other
meter included a radio timeswitch, with one continous output and two
switched outputs. Although this was actually a multi-rate meter it
only recorded one rate - all heating was charged at the same price.
The three live and one neutral tails from this meter fed a second
consumer unit with three independent main switches (each feeding their
own bank of MCBs) that powered all the heaters.

The two switched outputs turned on and off according to a schedule that
SSE set - it changed regularly, potentially being different every day,
and customers weren't told what the schedule was. So unlike Economy 7,
which is unlikely to turn on at a random point in the day, it's
extra important to make sure that the relevant main switch is off - as
you never know when the timeswitch will switch on!
Just to add to the confusion, the immersion heater and some of the
storage heaters had a boost facility - fed from a different circuit on a
different main switch.

Mike

That sounds confusing. But versatile for heating, I suppose. They
presumably had to trust you not to connect everything to the cheaper
heating always on supply.

--

Roger Hayter

Old February 12th 19, 06:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/02/2019 21:31, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

BTW If you do swap the MCB to a 20A the unfused spurs become branches:-)

Are branches acceptable in the context, with the common cable being
bigger? I don't want one so that is an academic question. Thanks for
the MCB hint, I think I'll get that pending a permanent solution.

They are well within regs even though you have a larger main cable.

Do you have access to the reg book? If so appendix 15 is the one to look
at (and laugh at when you see how badly worded it is).

You might find it on line (the 17th edition was out there due to the
mistakes in the printed edition).

--
Adam
Old February 12th 19, 07:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

BTW If you do swap the MCB to a 20A the unfused spurs become branches:-)

Are branches acceptable in the context, with the common cable being
bigger? I don't want one so that is an academic question. Thanks for
the MCB hint, I think I'll get that pending a permanent solution.

They are well within regs even though you have a larger main cable.

Do you have access to the reg book? If so appendix 15 is the one to look
at (and laugh at when you see how badly worded it is).

You might find it on line (the 17th edition was out there due to the
mistakes in the printed edition).

I've got the on site guide somewhere, but disinclined to look when I
don't intend to leave the 32A MCB in anyway. I note Amazon are selling
the 18th edition, I didn't think they used to. I have no need for it
except light reading.

--

Roger Hayter
Old February 12th 19, 08:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
You might find it on line (the 17th edition was out there due to the
mistakes in the printed edition).

I've got the on site guide somewhere, but disinclined to look when I
don't intend to leave the 32A MCB in anyway. I note Amazon are selling
the 18th edition, I didn't think they used to. I have no need for it
except light reading.

As opposed to power reading no doubt! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Old February 15th 19, 01:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2019 20:21, Chris Green wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
You might find it on line (the 17th edition was out there due to the
mistakes in the printed edition).

I've got the on site guide somewhere, but disinclined to look when I
don't intend to leave the 32A MCB in anyway. I note Amazon are selling
the 18th edition, I didn't think they used to. I have no need for it
except light reading.

As opposed to power reading no doubt! :-)

If you read up on ring mains, do you end up just
going round in circles ? :-)

Old February 15th 19, 03:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 February 2019 13:06:34 UTC, Andrew wrote:
If you read up on ring mains, do you end up just
going round in circles ? :-)

If you read up on ring finals do you find out what happens to Hagen and see the interior of Valhalla?

Owain

NEC question: low-voltage wiring crossing 120v wiring. Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 31 October 3rd 11 12:42 PM
ATX power supply to bench supply conversion Kingcosmos Electronics Repair 5 April 4th 07 04:24 PM
Economy 7 question Ian Harding UK diy 15 December 21st 04 01:13 PM
Dishwasher Water Supply & Electric Oven Electric Supply Richard Faulkner UK diy 4 December 2nd 03 11:44 PM
Can you put a water supply pipe and a gas supply pipe in the same conduit? Suz UK diy 4 September 9th 03 03:06 AM