Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Getting ready for the big day

On 29/01/2019 13:15, wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 12:38:43 UTC, TimW wrote:
Food obviously. There isn't much I can do about fresh produce but
staples, dried and tinned. Enough for a few days, maybe a week.

A week?? I have 72 tins of beef, haggis, chilli (I stocked up when
they were reduced). That alone should keep me alive for about month
plus, and they don't need cooking.

Ther is abosluetley no reasosn to have any interru[ption to food supplies.

I must stock up on pasta though. We don't actually make much of that
in the UK (at the moment - we could, from American wheat) and I eat a
lot of it. Passata and tomato paste too.

I don't imagine there is any reason to worry about water supplies.

They rely on electric pumps ...

Could there be power cuts? I don't know.

In the worst case, some, as we might not be able to rely as much on
the interconnects with EU countries. But I expect they'd be of fairly
short duration to knock off the peak demand.

There is is absolutely no reason to have any interruption to electricity
supplies. In hard times we export to the coninent. We only take surplus
nuclear power from Europe at trade discounts

There will be no broadband so I need to make sure I can keep a
phone charged. What's the best way to do that?

There'll be no mobile phone service once the cell mast UPS dies, so
you'd need a landline phone. They don't need charging. VDSL, and FTTH
customers using VoIP have other problems. The ADSL network should be
fairly robust as long as you have power for your router. Might be
worth looking out an old USB-dangly ADSL 'modem' and running it on a
laptop. For charging most small things, a car charger will do (if you
have a car).

There is absolutely no reason to have any interru[ption to telephone or
broadband supplies.

Is there anything else I should be worried about?

All the smart devices in your home that suddenly fail as we leave the
EU and the software licences expire ...

There is absolutely no reason to have any problem with any computeriused
device or software.

..

Slightly worried about my Sipgate phone numbers.

There is aboslutely no reason to have any interruption to Sipgate or
any other internet service.

I cannot believe that YOU guys believe this crap.

Owain

let them."