DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   USB power supply. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/629822-usb-power-supply.html)

Dave Plowman (News) January 23rd 19 02:29 PM

USB power supply.

Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm wondering
if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things like a toslink
to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc) that all have their
own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up less space and be tidier
(assuming it didn't introduce ground loop problems) . But I'd rather it
was a box with a mains lead, rather than a wall wart. As the power
distribution is IEC, rather than 13 amp.

--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Chris Bartram[_2_] January 23rd 19 02:41 PM

USB power supply.

Have a look around https://usb.brando.com/usb-hub_c0039d015

Martin Brown[_2_] January 23rd 19 02:56 PM

USB power supply.

Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm wondering
if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things like a toslink
to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc) that all have their
own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up less space and be tidier
(assuming it didn't introduce ground loop problems) . But I'd rather it
was a box with a mains lead, rather than a wall wart. As the power
distribution is IEC, rather than 13 amp.

Powered hub might do. I steal power off the TV USB sockets for mine.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

alan_m January 23rd 19 03:13 PM

USB power supply.

On 23/01/2019 14:56, Martin Brown wrote:
Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm
wondering
if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things like a toslink
to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc) that all have
their
own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up less space and be tidier
(assuming it didn't introduce ground loop problems) . But I'd rather it
was a box with a mains lead, rather than a wall wart. As the power
distribution is IEC, rather than 13 amp.

Powered hub might do. I steal power off the TV USB sockets for mine.

I have a 5 USB charging station
Example
https://tinyurl.com/yctr6ddt

Dave Plowman (News) January 23rd 19 03:18 PM

USB power supply.

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm
wondering if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things
like a toslink to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc)
that all have their own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up
less space and be tidier (assuming it didn't introduce ground loop
problems) . But I'd rather it was a box with a mains lead, rather than
a wall wart. As the power distribution is IEC, rather than 13 amp.

Powered hub might do. I steal power off the TV USB sockets for mine.

I was hoping to find a mains in with say 6 USB ;'charging' outputs. They
don't need to talk to one another or anything else. The devices I have
simply use a USB socket for DC power. If that makes sense.

The TV is too far away to use as a USB power source.

--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

whisky-dave[_2_] January 23rd 19 03:49 PM

USB power supply.

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 15:18:47 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm
wondering if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things
like a toslink to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc)
that all have their own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up
less space and be tidier (assuming it didn't introduce ground loop
problems) . But I'd rather it was a box with a mains lead, rather than
a wall wart. As the power distribution is IEC, rather than 13 amp.

Powered hub might do. I steal power off the TV USB sockets for mine.

I was hoping to find a mains in with say 6 USB ;'charging' outputs. They
don't need to talk to one another or anything else. The devices I have
simply use a USB socket for DC power. If that makes sense.

The TV is too far away to use as a USB power source.

DIY can't you make one. ;-)

Rob Morley January 23rd 19 03:52 PM

USB power supply.

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 14:29:15 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm
wondering if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things
like a toslink to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc)
that all have their own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up
less space and be tidier (assuming it didn't introduce ground loop
problems) . But I'd rather it was a box with a mains lead, rather
than a wall wart. As the power distribution is IEC, rather than 13
amp.

I use one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232003836472 powered by
an old laptop charger in a couple of places where I want multiple USB
supplies.

Dave Plowman (News) January 23rd 19 04:34 PM

USB power supply.

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I was hoping to find a mains in with say 6 USB ;'charging' outputs.
They don't need to talk to one another or anything else. The devices I
have simply use a USB socket for DC power. If that makes sense.

The TV is too far away to use as a USB power source.

DIY can't you make one. ;-)

I probably could, but it's one of those things that would cost far more to
make than buy. ;-)

--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

Theo[_3_] January 23rd 19 04:38 PM

USB power supply.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I was hoping to find a mains in with say 6 USB ;'charging' outputs. They
don't need to talk to one another or anything else. The devices I have
simply use a USB socket for DC power. If that makes sense.

I just bought one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ENBZJ5M/
(don't forget to tick the 55% off 'voucher')

5 ports - there's one Qualcomm Quick Charge port which charges my phone in
40 minutes (but also does regular USB to non-QC gadgets). The other ports
go up to 2.4A which charges it in about an hour. Seems pretty solid all
round.

I got it for travelling - the power input is a figure-8 connector, so I can
attach whatever UK/EU/US cable is appropriate.

Look at 'Aukey' and 'Anker' as reasonable brands (less likely to catch fire
than bottom-barrel Chinese) - they have a wide range of different models.

Theo

Rod Speed January 23rd 19 05:45 PM

USB power supply.

"Chris Bartram" wrote in message
Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm
wondering
if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things like a toslink
to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc) that all have
their
own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up less space and be tidier
(assuming it didn't introduce ground loop problems) . But I'd rather it
was a box with a mains lead, rather than a wall wart. As the power
distribution is IEC, rather than 13 amp.

Have a look around https://usb.brando.com/usb-hub_c0039d015

Fark
https://usb.brando.com/30-port-usb-s...c0039d015.html

dennis@home[_6_] January 23rd 19 06:27 PM

USB power supply.

Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm wondering
if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things like a toslink
to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc) that all have their
own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up less space and be tidier
(assuming it didn't introduce ground loop problems) . But I'd rather it
was a box with a mains lead, rather than a wall wart. As the power
distribution is IEC, rather than 13 amp.

maybe
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-S.../dp/B07DWQBBZX

JoeJoe January 23rd 19 06:46 PM

USB power supply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JoeJoe January 23rd 19 06:48 PM

USB power supply.

On 23/01/2019 15:13, alan_m wrote:
On 23/01/2019 14:56, Martin Brown wrote:
Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm
wondering
if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things like a toslink
to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc) that all have
their
own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up less space and be
tidier
(assuming it didn't introduce ground loop problems) . But I'd rather it
was a box with a mains lead, rather than a wall wart. As the power
distribution is IEC, rather than 13 amp.

Powered hub might do. I steal power off the TV USB sockets for mine.

I have a 5 USB charging station
Example
https://tinyurl.com/yctr6ddt

Worth checking the output - yours is only 1.3A per port which may not
enough to power devices that require 2A. There are others that support
2A on all ports.

Andy Burns[_13_] January 23rd 19 08:56 PM

USB power supply.

Dave Plowman wrote:

I have several 5v devices (things like a toslink
to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc) that all have their
own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up less space and be tidier

I have several, like you I prefer them with an IEC C7 input, they exist
with combinations of multiple 5V/2A or QC, or type C PD ports

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Charging-Multi-Port-Black/dp/B00VTI8K9K

polygonum_on_google[_2_] January 23rd 19 09:42 PM

USB power supply.

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 16:38:46 UTC, Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
[...]

I got an Anker 5 port which works just fine for my purposes which include dumb power-only and phone/tablet charging.

JoeJoe January 23rd 19 11:28 PM

USB power supply.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
[...]

So do I - I have had 3 of them for the last 2-3 years.
During that time:

- 1 died completely after ~20 months. Anker were not interested. Posted
an honest review on Amazon. They contacted me immediately after and
agreed to send a replacement.
- 2 others now have dead ports (1 has one the other 2). The other ports
still work.

I also have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S0TSLFE
No issues after 2.5 years.

Personally I would go for
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic.../dp/B0773JYNNR

Andrew[_22_] January 24th 19 10:36 AM

USB power supply.

On 23/01/2019 14:56, Martin Brown wrote:
Since I'm doing a bit of modification to my AV installation, I'm
wondering
if such a thing exists. I have several 5v devices (things like a toslink
to analogue converter, a couple of SCART to HDMI, etc) that all have
their
own wall wart USB PS. A single one would take up less space and be tidier
(assuming it didn't introduce ground loop problems) . But I'd rather it
was a box with a mains lead, rather than a wall wart. As the power
distribution is IEC, rather than 13 amp.

Powered hub might do. I steal power off the TV USB sockets for mine.

I asked this question before when I was considering using the
12 V output from my PC power supply to power a number of those
low-current devices.

Andrew Gabriel said he did just this. I think an inline fuse
was a good idea.