Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bit OT - ironing boards

I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons (somewhere) but no
board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor reviews
re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I know, it's DIY here but I don't have the material and there's a limit to
what the bus driver will accept!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 15:58:43 +0000, PeterC wrote:

I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons (somewhere)
but no board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor
reviews re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single legs
and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I know, it's DIY here but I don't have the material and there's a limit
to what the bus driver will accept!

My mother used to have a solid wooden one.

I reckon that should be the next thing John Rumm puts us to shame with. I
feel even more inadequate now I know how old he is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
news
I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons (somewhere) but no
board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor reviews
re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I know, it's DIY here but I don't have the material and there's a limit to
what the bus driver will accept!

It's quite possible to do ironng on an old blanket on the
kitchen table.

At least that's what many used to do in the old days when the iron
ran off a light socket which was directly above the table.

With trousers that means having to iron both sides at the same
time of course but people seemed to manage.

Anyway the creases won't show when standing in the dock
in any case.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 3:58:45 PM UTC, PeterC wrote:
I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons (somewhere) but no
board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor reviews
re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I know, it's DIY here but I don't have the material and there's a limit to
what the bus driver will accept!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

German ones (Brabantia) used to be not bad. If I were specifically after a
sturdy one (I agree, most of the modern ones are rubbish) I'd probably look
for an old s/h one.

Modern ones tend to have the top made with a mesh construction, which I *think*
is a good idea - it lets the stem go through the clothes.

My pet beef is that you can never get a cover whose shape properly matches the
shape of your board, and that the drawstrings never properly keep it on. If I
were a bachelor again I'd fix this...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 January 2019 17:15:01 UTC, jkn wrote:
My pet beef is that you can never get a cover whose shape properly matches the
shape of your board, and that the drawstrings never properly keep it on. If I
were a bachelor again I'd fix this...

Replace drawstrings with elastic.

But speaking as a bachelor, I have a Corby trouser press. :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 January 2019 16:45:28 UTC, michael adams wrote:
"PeterC" wrote in message
news

I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons (somewhere) but no
board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor reviews
re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I know, it's DIY here but I don't have the material and there's a limit to
what the bus driver will accept!

It's quite possible to do ironng on an old blanket on the
kitchen table.

+1. Or any bit of cloth. Or 3mm hardboard. Even cardboard if you must. Give this, an ironing board is surely not useful for the occasional ironer.

You can also get old trouser irons & trouser presses.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

First thing I sold when I retired

Still use mine - saves putting my trousers in the wardrobe - they get dusty
though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:43:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, 22 January 2019 16:45:28 UTC, michael adams wrote:
"PeterC" wrote in message
news

I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons (somewhere) but no
board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor reviews
re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I know, it's DIY here but I don't have the material and there's a limit to
what the bus driver will accept!

It's quite possible to do ironng on an old blanket on the
kitchen table.

+1. Or any bit of cloth. Or 3mm hardboard. Even cardboard if you must. Give this, an ironing board is surely not useful for the occasional ironer.

You can also get old trouser irons & trouser presses.

NT

I suppose the table might do. It's a bit low for me (the old board, that
almost fell to pieces, could be set quite high).
I like a make of lightweight trousers for walking in coolish weather - cheap
and plenty of pockets - but, for some unknown reason, they're pressed with
the creases almost on the side seams!* This means that they catch on the
shoes and get muddy. I want to wash them then iron out the original crease.

*Could be on the sides cos they're made in China.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
I like a make of lightweight trousers for walking in coolish weather - cheap
and plenty of pockets - but, for some unknown reason, they're pressed with
the creases almost on the side seams!* This means that they catch on the
shoes and get muddy. I want to wash them then iron out the original crease.

*Could be on the sides cos they're made in China.

Indeed; its all down to fashion.

King George V famously wore trousers with creases at the sides.
ISTR reading (but not from the link below) that in his case it
was a naval thing as he'd served in the navy; and that
at some point this was a fashion among naval officers.

https://putthison.com/side-creased-t...ge-v-ive-been/

In addition crooked creases are less obvious at the sides and so are
more convenient to iron when in a hurry. Or under less than ideal
conditions. As when being churned out by the thousand in a factory
maybe.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons (somewhere)
but no board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor
reviews re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single
legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I bought one in Wilko many years ago that has always been fine for
occasional use. This one looks very similar to the one I have:
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/vileda-b...oard/p/0466242
One of the things I like about mine is the variable height - I'm not
sure if the one in the link does that, although judging by one of the
reviews on that page it does adjust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons (somewhere)
but no board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor
reviews re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single
legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I bought one in Wilko many years ago that has always been fine for
occasional use. This one looks very similar to the one I have:
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/vileda-b...oard/p/0466242
One of the things I like about mine is the variable height - I'm not
sure if the one in the link does that, although judging by one of the
reviews on that page it does adjust.

Ouch! 40 quid! Still, looks pretty good, thanks.
I looked elswhere and only Homebase was cheaper - £35 - with Amazon and ebay
going at silly prices.
Might just get it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2019 17:14, jkn wrote:
German ones (Brabantia) used to be not bad. If I were specifically after a
sturdy one (I agree, most of the modern ones are rubbish) I'd probably look
for an old s/h one.

I still have the one I bought in a junk shop 30 years ago.

Where the iron stands has a piece of greyish fibrous board
that looks like Fermacell, but is probably asbestos :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 19:08:18 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 22/01/2019 17:14, jkn wrote:
German ones (Brabantia) used to be not bad. If I were specifically after a
sturdy one (I agree, most of the modern ones are rubbish) I'd probably look
for an old s/h one.

I still have the one I bought in a junk shop 30 years ago.

Where the iron stands has a piece of greyish fibrous board
that looks like Fermacell, but is probably asbestos :-)

My old one had asbestos for the iron. It went sort of fluffy and started to
fall apart. cough cough.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jan 2019 16:12:37 GMT
Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 15:58:43 +0000, PeterC wrote:

I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons
(somewhere) but no board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get poor
reviews re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the single
legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I know, it's DIY here but I don't have the material and there's a
limit to what the bus driver will accept!

My mother used to have a solid wooden one.

I reckon that should be the next thing John Rumm puts us to shame
with. I feel even more inadequate now I know how old he is.

An occasional reader asks:

Why? How old is he?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2019 16:50, Rob Morley wrote:
One of the things I like about mine is the variable height

Ours was something we bought when we were first married.

It's variable height - but doesn't go high enough for SWMBO who is 5'4.

(Yes, she does most of the ironing - doesn't like the way I do it!)

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jan 2019 21:12:27 GMT
Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 20:24:59 +0000, Steve wrote:

On 22 Jan 2019 16:12:37 GMT Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 15:58:43 +0000, PeterC wrote:

I hate ironing but need to do some trousers. I've 2 irons
(somewhere) but no board.
Now, plenty on various sites but they all look flimsy and get
poor reviews re. durability and ricketiness. Almos all have the
single legs and T-feet.

Anybody know of a good solid type please?

I know, it's DIY here but I don't have the material and there's a
limit to what the bus driver will accept!

My mother used to have a solid wooden one.

I reckon that should be the next thing John Rumm puts us to shame
with. I feel even more inadequate now I know how old he is.

An occasional reader asks:

Why? How old is he?

Younger than me.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 00:08:54 +0000, Steve wrote:

[...]

I forget exactly, but he posted a clue in the last few days. I would not
like to guess as he might get angry!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 23/01/2019 16:50, Rob Morley wrote:
One of the things I like about mine is the variable height

Ours was something we bought when we were first married.

It's variable height - but doesn't go high enough for SWMBO who is 5'4.

(Yes, she does most of the ironing - doesn't like the way I do it!)

I always thought it a bit of a paradox that some men dont think women make
good drivers,cannot be trusted to use a sharp knife to carve a joint, use a
tiny screwdriver on tiny screws to put a plug top on a lead but are more
than happy to let women Iron using an object that combines electricity and
water ,creates jets of scalding steam and gets hot enough to cause severe
burns if used carelessly let alone the fire risk to fabrics if used
incorrectly. They must be mad to let women loose with such a dangerous
device.

GH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Marland
scribeth thus
Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

A woman I went out with once was in charge of a **** off stylee blowlamp
well four of them, two on each wing ;!..
--
Tony Sayer