Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Curtain wire problem - sounds easy but aint!

Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic covering.Hook or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into wall.

Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook using a tiny wall plug, but it just pulls out because the hook's thread is too slim to make the plug expand and if you were to use a proper plasterboard plug it would be even worse as the hole in the plug is massive.

And of course, the curtain wire exerts a constant slight tension on the fixing.

In the end I've glued a plasterboard plug in with silicone and glued a hook into the plug too but I'm not optimistic. Any better ideas? Might need to use Araldite next!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 17:31, Murmansk wrote:
Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic covering.Hook or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into wall.

Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook using a tiny wall plug, but it just pulls out because the hook's thread is too slim to make the plug expand and if you were to use a proper plasterboard plug it would be even worse as the hole in the plug is massive.

And of course, the curtain wire exerts a constant slight tension on the fixing.

In the end I've glued a plasterboard plug in with silicone and glued a hook into the plug too but I'm not optimistic. Any better ideas? Might need to use Araldite next!

We use those telescopic spring loaded tension rods that exert a force
into the the two sides. No fixings required and work every time.
This sort of thing:-
http://tinyurl.com/tensionrod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 17:31, Murmansk wrote:
Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic covering.Hook or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into wall.

Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook using a tiny wall plug, but it just pulls out because the hook's thread is too slim to make the plug expand and if you were to use a proper plasterboard plug it would be even worse as the hole in the plug is massive.

And of course, the curtain wire exerts a constant slight tension on the fixing.

In the end I've glued a plasterboard plug in with silicone and glued a hook into the plug too but I'm not optimistic. Any better ideas? Might need to use Araldite next!

What I've done is to modify a crosshead screw by drilling a small hole
in the head end and screw that all the way in to a proper plasterboard
plug. Then I araldited the hook into the hole.

You can get screws with holes already in - mirror screws - which might
be easier to modify, or maybe even won't need modifying.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 17:38, Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

Interesting idea. I've had to fit net curtains to windows without
curtain rods and no inclination to get a masonry drill to do it
properly, but the window openings are rather too wide for this solution.

What I did was fix them with white insulating tape to the plastic window
frames, secured to the nets with staples. Crude, but effective.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm a couple of good ideas to think about there thanks, I'll try and persuade her to go for the Wilko rod idea as that takes less input from me!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 17:31, Murmansk wrote:
Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic covering.Hook or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into wall.

Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook using a tiny wall plug, but it just pulls out because the hook's thread is too slim to make the plug expand and if you were to use a proper plasterboard plug it would be even worse as the hole in the plug is massive.

And of course, the curtain wire exerts a constant slight tension on the fixing.

In the end I've glued a plasterboard plug in with silicone and glued a hook into the plug too but I'm not optimistic. Any better ideas? Might need to use Araldite next!

Plasterboard isn't going to take the tension readily. Not helping *your*
problem but for people with plaster, brick, etc. there's a special sort
of wallplug made for taking nail-in cable clips. It just has a small
hole in otherwise solid plastic, and the standard hooks or eyes used
with curtain wire work fine. Also useful to know about for cable clips,
of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 09:31:51 -0800 (PST)
Murmansk wrote:

Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic
covering.Hook or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into
wall.

Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook using a
tiny wall plug, but it just pulls out because the hook's thread is
too slim to make the plug expand and if you were to use a proper
plasterboard plug it would be even worse as the hole in the plug is
massive.

And of course, the curtain wire exerts a constant slight tension on
the fixing.

In the end I've glued a plasterboard plug in with silicone and glued
a hook into the plug too but I'm not optimistic. Any better ideas?
Might need to use Araldite next!

Cut a hole in the plasterboard with a hole saw. Cut a round plug of
timber with the hole saw. Glue the round bit of timber into the
plasterboard with some sticks-like-**** gap-filling adhesive. Screw
the hook into the timber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 17:31, Murmansk wrote:
Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic covering.Hook or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into wall.

Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook using a tiny wall plug, but it just pulls out because the hook's thread is too slim to make the plug expand and if you were to use a proper plasterboard plug it would be even worse as the hole in the plug is massive.

And of course, the curtain wire exerts a constant slight tension on the fixing.

In the end I've glued a plasterboard plug in with silicone and glued a hook into the plug too but I'm not optimistic. Any better ideas? Might need to use Araldite next!

this is where i incete a blob of car body filler behind the plasterboard
and screw into that...

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 17:31, Murmansk wrote:
Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic covering.Hook or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into wall.

Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook using a tiny wall plug, but it just pulls out because the hook's thread is too slim to make the plug expand and if you were to use a proper plasterboard plug it would be even worse as the hole in the plug is massive.

And of course, the curtain wire exerts a constant slight tension on the fixing.

In the end I've glued a plasterboard plug in with silicone and glued a hook into the plug too but I'm not optimistic. Any better ideas? Might need to use Araldite next!

We have a "net" curtain - we're not exactly keen on them, but they do
give some privacy from passersby. Our curtain wire has a hook on each
end and an eye screwed into the frame at each side, so the tension is
pulling them sideways and not directly out.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2019 18:12, Murmansk wrote:
Hmm a couple of good ideas to think about there thanks, I'll try and persuade her to go for the Wilko rod idea as that takes less input from me!

Yep the Wilko one was just an example. Dunelm, Range, infact anywhere
that sells nets will sell them in different styles/quality/length,
including amazon.
You rotate one end with respect to the other to fine tune the length and
consequent outwards spring pressure. They have rubberized ends so dont
slip down if you get the pressure right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What curtains, merely nets or are these big curtains? I have to say with
nets I fitted the eyes into the wooden window outer frame, but this works
on many unpack ones as well as they are quite thick.
If it has to be into the area you say, this sounds like a serious set of
curtains, in which case abandon the springs and get proper runners and a
rail then the load is shared.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic covering.Hook
or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into wall.

Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook using a tiny
wall plug, but it just pulls out because the hook's thread is too slim to
make the plug expand and if you were to use a proper plasterboard plug it
would be even worse as the hole in the plug is massive.

And of course, the curtain wire exerts a constant slight tension on the
fixing.

In the end I've glued a plasterboard plug in with silicone and glued a hook
into the plug too but I'm not optimistic. Any better ideas? Might need to
use Araldite next!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2019 08:18, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 20/01/2019 18:12, Murmansk wrote:
Hmm a couple of good ideas to think about there thanks, I'll try and
persuade her to go for the Wilko rod idea as that takes less input
from me!

Yep the Wilko one was just an example. Dunelm, Range, infact anywhere
that sells nets will sell them in different styles/quality/length,
including amazon.
You rotate one end with respect to the other to fine tune the length and
consequent outwards spring pressure. They have rubberized ends so dont
slip down if you get the pressure right.

You could make a little dint in the plasterboard for each end. Then it
deffo wouldn't slip.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 5:38:51 PM UTC, Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

We have those in a french door/window holding net curtains. I find them too prone to come undone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

[...]

Another vote for these. I've found they work (with care, and in places
they are not likely to be disturbed) for lime plaster just too soft to
grip the nails direct.

--

Roger Hayter

Lawn Mower Sounds Like it's Going to Stall ( but doesn't ) Jeffy3 Home Repair 15 May 18th 14 09:18 PM
Campingaz Easy Clic & Easy Clic Plus Dave Liquorice[_3_] UK diy 4 December 17th 11 11:11 PM
shallow well pump sounds like its on but not popping up heads tadcad2 Home Repair 2 February 27th 08 01:32 PM
CFLs aint so great v Home Ownership 9 December 30th 06 12:09 AM
Sounds Crazy But...... buck Woodworking 13 October 13th 04 11:16 PM