Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wifi Projector

The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

The leads though frequently caused near-accidents, so it was thought a
wireless-based replacement might be a good idea.

Wifi enabled projectors are available but the problem is how to link them
to the laptop that is intended to drive it if we have no hub?

Can we turn the laptop unto a wifi hub for this purpose?

--
Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-43-generic, Cinnamon 3.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ask around anybody who has changed ISP will probably have a spare modem/router, these things tend to be handed without a second thought by ISPs. If all you need it for is to communicate between devices you do not even have to be connected to the Internet.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 19:09:14 +0000 (GMT)
Tim+ wrote:

pinnerite Wrote in message:
The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

The leads though frequently caused near-accidents, so it was
thought a wireless-based replacement might be a good idea.

Unless you can replace the power lead with "wireless power", is it
worth worrying too much about the data lead?

In a typical setup the data lead has to travel from the podium at the
front of the room to the projector near the back, while the power lead
can plug into the back wall or a flush floor socket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

How big is the image projected?
I'd have thought a large screen tv might have been better these days.
Projectors eat tubes and they are incresingly hard to get, and the
lcd ones
apparently have other issues due to heat.
Brian

Get a big cheap TV and wall mount it. Perhaps get two / three, etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 6:55:59 PM UTC, pinnerite wrote:
The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

How can you be sure about that? ;-/

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 18:55, pinnerite wrote:
The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

The leads though frequently caused near-accidents, so it was thought a
wireless-based replacement might be a good idea.

Unless it is battery powered there are always going to be power leads.
You need to pay more attention to health and safety trip hazards.

Wifi enabled projectors are available but the problem is how to link them
to the laptop that is intended to drive it if we have no hub?

Cheapest simple option is probably a Mifi device.

Can we turn the laptop unto a wifi hub for this purpose?

You might be able to but it involves error prone incantations.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-0abf10ed2039

And you will have to do this to each laptop you want to connect with the
projector - more of a challenge might be getting the projector to work.

I used to do it in the bad old days with a physical ethernet cross over
cable kept for the purpose which was purple to avoid confusion.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 21:01:03 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

How big is the image projected?
I'd have thought a large screen tv might have been better these days.
Projectors eat tubes and they are incresingly hard to get, and the lcd
ones
apparently have other issues due to heat.
Brian

Get a big cheap TV and wall mount it. Perhaps get two / three, etc

We hire a room, arrive by car, put out the chairs and a few tables, set
up the folding projection screen mount the project about two to three
metres from the 1.6 metre (diag) screen with power and data laying on the
floor between close -packed seats.

The prospect of squeezing a large screen TV in and out of a family car
once each week does not fill me with enthusiasm.

Just took delivery of some lay-flat trunking before the old projector was
knocked over. A new "wire-less" projector with a longer throw would mean
it could be further back from the screen (and the viewers) and mounted on
a firm table rather the stand hitherto employed.

Similarly, a spare wireless router would be a good idea but it means
finding a suitable location, power to it etc.

I wondered if the laptop with a plug in aerial could be programmed to
link with a wifi enabled projector.

It looks like a should try elsewhere.

Thanks anyway,

Regards, Alan

--
Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-43-generic, Cinnamon 3.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 22:38:46 -0000 (UTC), pinnerite
wrote:

snip

I wondered if the laptop with a plug in aerial could be programmed to
link with a wifi enabled projector.

I thought any WiFi enabled laptop could become it's own Wireless
peer-to-peer network for direct connection as such?

Not sure what options are available in Wireless projector but this
might indicate if it's possible.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...ps-wirelessly/

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Although in a wired situation you can connect individual devices with a cross over network lead and get them to communicate. Once you add more devices using a hub you will not get any communication without a router.

In a WiFi network even with only two devices you need a router, hence why I said try and source a redundant modem since most supplied by ISPs have a router incorporated, that modem does not need to be linked to the Internet hence no need to connect to a phone socket. The only thing you have to provide is a mains supply, presumably you provide a mains supply for the laptop, just use a multi socket extension socket plug the modem/router into that or any convenient socket in the room.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 20:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
How big is the image projected?
I'd have thought a large screen tv might have been better these days.
Projectors eat tubes and they are incresingly hard to get, and the lcd ones
apparently have other issues due to heat.
Brian

Not really an option if you are only using a room once a week as the OP
message suggested. A projector, as dated a technology as it may be, is
very portable, and only required a wall to project onto.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 22:48:19 +0000, T i m wrote:

I thought any WiFi enabled laptop could become it's own Wireless
peer-to-peer network for direct connection as such?

An "ad-hoc" network or connection. Certainly can with Android
devices. Wether you can kick a windows laptop into such a mode I
don't know.

Not sure what options are available in Wireless projector but this
might indicate if it's possible.

That just needs to act as it would when connected to an access point.
Provided the laptop is emulating an access point on it's WiFi it
should "just work"...

I'm more inclined to say that if the projector can get knocked over
or off then one needs to sort that out. That's what gaffer tape and
cable matting are for. If the stand is one of those small base area,
lightweight, tall things it's inherently unstable, that's what sand
bags are for.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 23:30:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 22:48:19 +0000, T i m wrote:

I thought any WiFi enabled laptop could become it's own Wireless
peer-to-peer network for direct connection as such?

An "ad-hoc" network or connection. Certainly can with Android
devices. Wether you can kick a windows laptop into such a mode I
don't know.

The link I included suggested you could (and how to do it) Dave. ;-)

Not sure what options are available in Wireless projector but this
might indicate if it's possible.

That just needs to act as it would when connected to an access point.

Agreed and I was thinking that after hitting send. ;-)

Provided the laptop is emulating an access point on it's WiFi it
should "just work"...

That's always the hope!

I'm more inclined to say that if the projector can get knocked over
or off then one needs to sort that out.

I think it's more like (we have since learned that) it's being 'pulled
over' because of the data connection (not the power), not being
knocked over directly.

That's what gaffer tape and
cable matting are for.

Agreed. Many of my discos wouldn't have been as safe / varied without
it!

If the stand is one of those small base area,
lightweight, tall things it's inherently unstable, that's what sand
bags are for.

I think the OP suggested 'everything' has to be transported there and
away each time but there may be somewhere a sandbag could be stored
on-site (it's not a fire risk or likely to get stolen). ;-)

If the projector is positioned between chairs then 'it' may not be an
issue in and of itself.

I used to drop cables vertically from the ceiling because at least
they couldn't be tripped over but it maybe they don't have the luxury
of cable length (or ease of accessing the ceiling / fittings) in this
case.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 18:55:57 -0000 (UTC), pinnerite
wrote:

The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

The leads though frequently caused near-accidents, so it was thought a
wireless-based replacement might be a good idea.

Wifi enabled projectors are available but the problem is how to link them
to the laptop that is intended to drive it if we have no hub?

Can we turn the laptop unto a wifi hub for this purpose?

At my scientific club we use trip-resistant rubber trunking on the
carpet, covering both the vga cable and mains to the projector from
the speaker's laptop table at the front.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 23:43:52 +0000, T i m wrote:

I'm more inclined to say that if the projector can get knocked

over
or off then one needs to sort that out.

I think it's more like (we have since learned that) it's being 'pulled
over' because of the data connection (not the power), not being
knocked over directly.

That's what longer cables are for.

I think the OP suggested 'everything' has to be transported there and
away each time but there may be somewhere a sandbag could be stored
on-site (it's not a fire risk or likely to get stolen). ;-)

Anything left on it's own will grow legs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite wrote:
[...]

Or a phone as a wi fi hotspot somehow.

It looks like a should try elsewhere.

Thanks anyway,

Regards, Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A new "wire-less" projector with a longer throw would mean
it could be further back from the screen (and the viewers) and mounted on
a firm table rather the stand hitherto employed.

Possibly a shorter throw to bring the projector closer to the screen
and clear of the front line of the audience might be more
appropriate. This would allow you to put both the laptop and
projector on a standard table.

Position the laptop so the screen faces the lecturer (so they can see
what is being projected rather than constantly turning to see the
screen). It also minimises the problem of people walking around the
projector when going to their seating. On a flimsy projector stand
the risk of being knocked over is high, on a table much less so.

The more robust table along with no need to have any cable except the
power to the table makes for a much more secure environment.

I've done hundreds of presentations with this configuration a normal
table and have never had problems in any of the village halls, church
halls, huts or whatever I've had to use. Setting the projector at
table height also means it isn't blocking the view of any of the
audience. All LCD/DLP projectors easily cope with keyhole correction
so they can live below the centre line of the projector.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 21:11, jkn wrote:
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 6:55:59 PM UTC, pinnerite wrote:
The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

How can you be sure about that? ;-/

J^n

Lol,
What were they thinking?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 18:55, pinnerite wrote:
The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

[...]

Nihilists! I bet.

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

table height also means it isn't blocking the view of any of the
audience. All LCD/DLP projectors easily cope with keyhole correction
so they can live below the centre line of the projector.

Sat through loads where the presenter hasn't had a clue about keystone
correction,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 18:55, pinnerite wrote:
The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

The leads though frequently caused near-accidents, so it was thought a
wireless-based replacement might be a good idea.

Wifi enabled projectors are available but the problem is how to link them
to the laptop that is intended to drive it if we have no hub?

Can we turn the laptop unto a wifi hub for this purpose?

Why not get a short/ultra short throw projector? They can have a throw
of 400mm or less. You can then route the cables around the edges of the
room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 17 January 2019 18:55:59 UTC, pinnerite wrote:
The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

The leads though frequently caused near-accidents, so it was thought a
wireless-based replacement might be a good idea.

Wifi enabled projectors are available but the problem is how to link them
to the laptop that is intended to drive it if we have no hub?

Can we turn the laptop unto a wifi hub for this purpose?

--
Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-43-generic, Cinnamon 3.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.

You can get bluetooth projectors which might be simpler. E.g.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Bl.../dp/B079M79336

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite wrote:

I wondered if the laptop with a plug in aerial could be programmed to
link with a wifi enabled projector.

You probably want to be looking for a projector that does WiFi Direct
AKA Wi-Fi P2P which is the wireless equivalent of an Ethernet crossover
cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite wrote:

I wondered if the laptop with a plug in aerial could be programmed to
link with a wifi enabled projector.

You probably want to be looking for a projector that does WiFi Direct
AKA Wi-Fi P2P which is the wireless equivalent of an Ethernet crossover
cable.

Aha! I probably do.

Thank you, Alan

--
Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-43-generic, Cinnamon 3.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm on the committee of our local memorial hall. We invested in a large wall mounted monitor for our meetings and for user groups/hirers to use.
It's resulted in more income from additional hiring.
Maybe if you're a regular group your landlords would consider something similar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cynic wrote in
:

I'm on the committee of our local memorial hall. We invested in a
large wall mounted monitor for our meetings and for user groups/hirers
to use. It's resulted in more income from additional hiring.
Maybe if you're a regular group your landlords would consider
something similar.

I use a place that has monitors - and a big screen and very expensife
projector. The colours and contrast is always better on the monitors.
(accept not as portable)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 January 2019 18:47:25 UTC, Cynic wrote:
I'm on the committee of our local memorial hall. We invested in a
large wall mounted monitor for our meetings and for user groups/hirers
to use. It's resulted in more income from additional hiring.

I have to use a projector/interactive whiteboard sometimes and its big disadvantage is lack of brightness in daylight, which makes teaching difficult when learners can't read what they're supposed to be writing.

However, a projector is easier to lock away when not in use, or otherwise protect from flying missiles, depending on what else the hall is used for.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 11:51:41 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Friday, 18 January 2019 18:47:25 UTC, Cynic wrote:
I'm on the committee of our local memorial hall. We invested in a large
wall mounted monitor for our meetings and for user groups/hirers to
use. It's resulted in more income from additional hiring.

I have to use a projector/interactive whiteboard sometimes and its big
disadvantage is lack of brightness in daylight, which makes teaching
difficult when learners can't read what they're supposed to be writing.

However, a projector is easier to lock away when not in use, or
otherwise protect from flying missiles, depending on what else the hall
is used for.

The annoying thing about the big monitors is that you can't walk around
(as I like to do, especially in a larger room) and point at the screen
with a laser pointer! Doesn't work on those screens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 06:58:15 -0800, Jonathan wrote:

On Thursday, 17 January 2019 18:55:59 UTC, pinnerite wrote:
The projector of our local philosophy group has been smashed.

The leads though frequently caused near-accidents, so it was thought a
wireless-based replacement might be a good idea.

Wifi enabled projectors are available but the problem is how to link
them to the laptop that is intended to drive it if we have no hub?

Can we turn the laptop unto a wifi hub for this purpose?

--
Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-43-generic, Cinnamon 3.6.7 running on an
AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.

You can get bluetooth projectors which might be simpler. E.g.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Bl...ector-Android-

Portable-1500lumens-Mini-LED-Wifi/dp/B079M79336

Jonathan

I like the idea but have no idea o the range of bluetooth, never having
used it. The laptop would need a bluetooth adapter of course.

--
Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-43-generic, Cinnamon 3.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2019 18:47, Cynic wrote:
I'm on the committee of our local memorial hall. We invested in a large wall mounted monitor for our meetings and for user groups/hirers to use.
It's resulted in more income from additional hiring.
Maybe if you're a regular group your landlords would consider something similar.

At work we use a system that has a large monitor (40" plus) with a PC
attached (very small box behind) and a dongle that plugs into a laptop
USB. Works well in the controlled environment of work but the dongle
would disappear in a semi-public place. Units are available that wi-fi
direct to the monitor. That needed a driver (could be downloaded) and
worked OK, the dongle system is more popular because its easier to
transfer control to individual laptops -- you just unplug the dongle and
plug it into the next laptop.

--
Blow my nose to email me

No wifi but a wifi hotspot micky Home Repair 3 June 18th 15 08:08 AM
What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access? MM UK diy 58 January 7th 13 08:59 PM
Poor WIFI Signal strength Richard UK diy 26 March 20th 05 08:04 AM
DIY DX WiFi? T i m UK diy 31 March 17th 05 06:01 PM
Following on from the "WIFI Extended coverage"....... GymRatZ UK diy 18 February 15th 05 09:07 PM