Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I chuck unused wheelie bins in a skip?

On 18/01/2019 09:34, T i m wrote:

Snipped

I wonder how many here clear litter from the street near our homes
(between any Council cleaners)? A few of us round here do, 1) because
it looks untidy and 2) if you don't it seems to invite others to add
to it? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

That has always been the way. Keeping an area clean is much less effort
than cleaning it up once in a while.

Councils don't seem to understand that though. We used to have a street
sweeper with a little yellow cart, but the council in its wisdom got rid
of him and now use a small, roadgoing vehicle. The reult is that the
area is not kept as clean (we do have a residents litter picking session
every so often), which encourages more litter. The rotating brushes are
also very good at throwing much of what is there into the hedges and
bushes rather than collecting it.

Another by product of getting rid of the street sweeper is that he'll
have lost his job and will probably be on benefits for life - he is deaf
and dumb, so little chance of finding something else. Working out and
about at least got him an income, a chance to feel he was doing
something useful and a little interaction with people. He always had a
smile for everyone.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2019 10:18, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 09:54:40 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:
snip

It is a way of advertising that "Thick People Live Here".

Along with the 60" TV box stood outside their houses in one piece.

I once managed
to get a Micra Tailgate into a bin and have also managed a dishwasher.

LOL!

Many
struggle to cope with a cardboard box.

So it seems. The worst I have seen was a complete near Eurobin sized
cardboard box upside down inside the Eurobin for cardboard recycling,
outside the Council Offices. I pulled it out, turned it over and put
all my cardboard inside it.

I also understand the local council have also given up on bundling up
plastic bottles for recycling because of just how much unwanted
plastic is put with the wanted.

One of the problems is that the bottles and caps are of different
materials and the recyclers want the former, but not the latter. The
trouble is that when you flatten bottles, they tend to partly spring
back unless the cap is on to keep them collapsed by vacuum. What we
really need is a requirement for the caps and bottles to be of
compatible materials (not necessarily the same materials).

So whereas they used to get a good price per truckload of 'quality'
plastic they now get next to nothing for a load of polluted stuff,
simply because they don't have the staff to do what the households
should do (properly) in the first place. ;-(

In the case of plastic bottles, it should be simple enough for
automating cutting off 1" from the cap end of the bottles at the
recycling plant if there is a cap on. Unscrewing it would be even
better, but cutting is fast, reliable and simple.

Alterantively, I wonder if they can recycle shredded bottles? I'd be
happy enough with a strong, hand-driven shredder. They'd take far less
space then.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" Wrote in message:

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
"michael adams" Wrote in message:

Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ? Rather than
replacements being provided free of charge.

York

As you've clearly done a lot of research on this, can you

Nah first hit on Google?

Oopsy! There goes another of your bubbles ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 13:28:50 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

I also understand the local council have also given up on bundling up
plastic bottles for recycling because of just how much unwanted
plastic is put with the wanted.

One of the problems is that the bottles and caps are of different
materials and the recyclers want the former, but not the latter.

Understood.

The
trouble is that when you flatten bottles, they tend to partly spring
back unless the cap is on to keep them collapsed by vacuum.

I'll give you they can spring back a bit but ours generally stay
pretty flat?

What we
really need is a requirement for the caps and bottles to be of
compatible materials (not necessarily the same materials).

That would make a lot of sense.

So whereas they used to get a good price per truckload of 'quality'
plastic they now get next to nothing for a load of polluted stuff,
simply because they don't have the staff to do what the households
should do (properly) in the first place. ;-(

In the case of plastic bottles, it should be simple enough for
automating cutting off 1" from the cap end of the bottles at the
recycling plant if there is a cap on. Unscrewing it would be even
better, but cutting is fast, reliable and simple.

Yup.

Alterantively, I wonder if they can recycle shredded bottles? I'd be
happy enough with a strong, hand-driven shredder. They'd take far less
space then.

I guess that might be down to *all* plastic (drink type) bottles being
made out of the same (or mixable) material and people only shredding
those, not mixing them up with other stuff?

Given I've seen hard plastic toys in the box that should pretty well
only be a small range of plastic bottles, I'd not want to trust 'most
people' with such a decision (hey, that sounds familiar). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 13:20:37 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 18/01/2019 09:34, T i m wrote:

Snipped

I wonder how many here clear litter from the street near our homes
(between any Council cleaners)? A few of us round here do, 1) because
it looks untidy and 2) if you don't it seems to invite others to add
to it? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

That has always been the way. Keeping an area clean is much less effort
than cleaning it up once in a while.

Good to hear. Shame it's still not the case country-wide. ;-(

Councils don't seem to understand that though. We used to have a street
sweeper with a little yellow cart, but the council in its wisdom got rid
of him and now use a small, roadgoing vehicle.

We still have both. The sweeper vehicle is pretty useless these days
as most of the gutters are filled with cars, even during the day.

The reult is that the
area is not kept as clean (we do have a residents litter picking session
every so often), which encourages more litter.

Yup. ;-(

The rotating brushes are
also very good at throwing much of what is there into the hedges and
bushes rather than collecting it.

Doh! ;-(

Another by product of getting rid of the street sweeper is that he'll
have lost his job and will probably be on benefits for life - he is deaf
and dumb, so little chance of finding something else.

Might he mot have been transferred to a different role within the
council, like one of the grass maintenance teams?

Working out and
about at least got him an income, a chance to feel he was doing
something useful and a little interaction with people. He always had a
smile for everyone.

That IS a terrible shame. And if he was doing a good job, I wonder if
'the people' could afford to keep him on between them (like you see
some areas hiring their own 'security' patrols)? There may even be
some social support / grant for that out there?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In the case of plastic bottles, it should be simple enough for
automating cutting off 1" from the cap end of the bottles at the
recycling plant if there is a cap on. Unscrewing it would be even
better, but cutting is fast, reliable and simple.

Alterantively, I wonder if they can recycle shredded bottles? I'd be
happy enough with a strong, hand-driven shredder. They'd take far less
space then.

SteveW

Meanwhile - others don't give a stuff and hinder the processes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I wonder if they can recycle shredded bottles?

I gather that shredded paper generally avoids being recycled because it
falls through a fine trommel screen at the start of the line, so
shredded bottles would probably do the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 13:20:37 +0000, Steve Walker

Doh! ;-(

Another by product of getting rid of the street sweeper is that he'll
have lost his job and will probably be on benefits for life - he is deaf
and dumb, so little chance of finding something else.

Might he mot have been transferred to a different role within the
council, like one of the grass maintenance teams?

Often that means working with machinery or even passing a test so the pick
up and trailer with machines can be driven to the site, there will also be
more H+S requirements to comply with and possibly involving basic exams to
be allowed to use some weed killers.

All a bit much for some people yet they are more than capable of wielding a
broom at their own pace.

Working out and
about at least got him an income, a chance to feel he was doing
something useful and a little interaction with people. He always had a
smile for everyone.

Mechanisation is often a good thing but there is a dire shortage of simple
jobs for simple people now.
Things are always looked at in isolation , one department of a council will
appear to be run better but the social service side gets the additional
burden and over the full picture may be actually paying more.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

I gather that shredded paper generally avoids being recycled because it
falls through a fine trommel screen at the start of the line, so
shredded bottles would probably do the same.

Our council (Nottinghamshire) tells us that shredded paper is OK
in our recycling bins.

When I visited the sorting facility recently, we saw the trommel
screen which removed all small "contamination" which then went
straight to landfill. This would clearly pass any crosscut paper
shreddings.

I queried this, and they said that I was correct, but they
felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 17:48:04 on Thu, 17 Jan
2019, michael adams remarked:

Name one Local Authority in the UK where homeowners are required
to purchase replacement wheelie bins in the event of their
reporting their own bin having been lost or stolen ? Rather than
replacements being provided free of charge.

I think the situation is that bins must be provided free of charge, but
the council can levy a delivery fee (and also say you can't pick up from
the depot yourself).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I gather that shredded paper generally avoids being recycled because it
falls through a fine trommel screen at the start of the line, so
shredded bottles would probably do the same.

Our council (Nottinghamshire) tells us that shredded paper is OK
in our recycling bins.

When I visited the sorting facility recently, we saw the trommel
screen which removed all small "contamination" which then went
straight to landfill. This would clearly pass any crosscut paper
shreddings.

I queried this, and they said that I was correct, but they
felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

Chris

Ours takes shredded paper in paper bags. A good, if expensive,
solution.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 14:11, R D S wrote:
On 17/01/2019 13:40, michael adams wrote:

But in this instance, all the OP need do is to inform the Council.

All? You've plainly never phoned our council.

Anyway curiosity got the better of me and I have my answer.
It turns out our council want to come and collect old unused bins, they
will call me back to make an appointment!

The **** they claim to have no money for but they'll arrange
appointments to drive around collecting battered old bins.

I've an email.....

They've acknowledged my reporting of 'an abandoned bin' and an inspector
is going to visit.

:rolls eyes:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

One of the problems is that the bottles and caps are of different
materials and the recyclers want the former, but not the latter. The
trouble is that when you flatten bottles, they tend to partly spring
back unless the cap is on to keep them collapsed by vacuum. What we
really need is a requirement for the caps and bottles to be of
compatible materials (not necessarily the same materials).

You hear all sorts of rumours about what actually happens to the
contents of recycling bins after it's carted away, the village rag has a
semi-interesting article from someone who took the time to visit ...

http://www.countesthorpe-herald.org/319/mobile/index.html#p=6

e.g. me being "helpful" and flattening plastic bottles and aluminium
tins, turns out to be harmful. Black plastic is definitely not wanted
even if it has a recycling triangle on it, etc.

[you probably want to shield your eyes from Mrs Santa over the page]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2019 14:31, R D S wrote:
On 17/01/2019 14:11, R D S wrote:
On 17/01/2019 13:40, michael adams wrote:

But in this instance, all the OP need do is to inform the Council.

All? You've plainly never phoned our council.

Anyway curiosity got the better of me and I have my answer.
It turns out our council want to come and collect old unused bins,
they will call me back to make an appointment!

The **** they claim to have no money for but they'll arrange
appointments to drive around collecting battered old bins.

I've an email.....

They've acknowledged my reporting of 'an abandoned bin' and an inspector
is going to visit.

:rolls eyes:

And another email that their investigation is complete.

I still have the bins.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

You hear all sorts of rumours about what actually happens to the
contents of recycling bins after it's carted away, the village rag has a
semi-interesting article from someone who took the time to visit ...

http://www.countesthorpe-herald.org/319/mobile/index.html#p=6

e.g. me being "helpful" and flattening plastic bottles and aluminium
tins, turns out to be harmful. Black plastic is definitely not wanted
even if it has a recycling triangle on it, etc.

Why oh why can't all these local authorities get together and
agree on a common policy and stick to it? So much of the
information in that article is completely contrary to what we
are told in Lincolnshire which, in the main, agrees with the
rules of the East London Waste Authority who used to collect
our rubbish and recycling.

But there is still a lot of misinformation out there. All of
Lincolnshire's recycling goes through the same process yet, in
a recent radio interview, a councillor from Boston said that
the hard plastic tops on milk bottles can't be recycled. We
are told to remove the tops and place in the recycling
seperately - contrary to the Braunstone directions - otherwise
they have to be removed manually - but aside from the colour,
the tops are made from the same HDPE as the bottle - I don't
think I've seen a hard plastic top this century!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:17:27 on Sat, 2 Feb
2019, Andy Burns remarked:

One of the problems is that the bottles and caps are of different
materials and the recyclers want the former, but not the latter. The
trouble is that when you flatten bottles, they tend to partly spring
back unless the cap is on to keep them collapsed by vacuum. What we
really need is a requirement for the caps and bottles to be of
compatible materials (not necessarily the same materials).

You hear all sorts of rumours about what actually happens to the
contents of recycling bins after it's carted away, the village rag has
a semi-interesting article from someone who took the time to visit ...

http://www.countesthorpe-herald.org/319/mobile/index.html#p=6

e.g. me being "helpful" and flattening plastic bottles and aluminium
tins, turns out to be harmful. Black plastic is definitely not wanted
even if it has a recycling triangle on it, etc.

And recycling centres differ in the way they process the waste, so the
article in question doesn't necessarily shed any light on even
neighbouring local authority processes. Let alone why different LAs
have such differing ideas on what they can and can't accept.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey wrote:

a councillor from Boston said that
the hard plastic tops on milk bottles can't be recycled. We
are told to remove the tops and place in the recycling
seperately

I have known people who put collecting bags *just* for milk bottle tops,
in workplace kitchens, on the grounds they think they're especially
valuable as recycling material ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
12:44:41 on Sun, 3 Feb 2019, Terry Casey
remarked:
In article ,
says...

You hear all sorts of rumours about what actually happens to the
contents of recycling bins after it's carted away, the village rag has a
semi-interesting article from someone who took the time to visit ...

http://www.countesthorpe-herald.org/319/mobile/index.html#p=6

e.g. me being "helpful" and flattening plastic bottles and aluminium
tins, turns out to be harmful. Black plastic is definitely not wanted
even if it has a recycling triangle on it, etc.

Why oh why can't all these local authorities get together and
agree on a common policy and stick to it?

Because they all have different recycling processes, especially if they
ask for pre-sorted (or do kerb-sorting).

I've lived places that didn't take glass at all, for example, and said
you should take it to a bottle bank. Where I live now they accept glass
as a mixed recyclable, but have removed almost all the public bottle
banks.

One thing that leapt out at me from the newspaper article was their
attitude to TetraPaks, which I have always understood needed
extra-special custom processing.

So much of the information in that article is completely contrary to
what we are told in Lincolnshire which, in the main, agrees with the
rules of the East London Waste Authority who used to collect our
rubbish and recycling.

That's because decisions on the cost/benefit of recycling various things
are taken locally.

But there is still a lot of misinformation out there. All of
Lincolnshire's recycling goes through the same process yet, in
a recent radio interview, a councillor from Boston said that
the hard plastic tops on milk bottles can't be recycled.

He could of course simply be misinformed or out of date. Or was he
talking about *hard* milk bottle tops, and not the softer ones you've
seen?

We are told to remove the tops and place in the recycling seperately -
contrary to the Braunstone directions - otherwise they have to be
removed manually - but aside from the colour, the tops are made from
the same HDPE as the bottle - I don't think I've seen a hard plastic
top this century!

The problem with drafting advice like that is

(a) you are hostage to the particular plastic used by local milk
sellers; but
(b) worse than that normally it's felt better to have advice to apply to
*all* plastic bottles, because the public's attention span doesn't
necessarily run to sorting their collection of plastic bottles
first by former contents, before then deciding which ones to
keep/remove the tops.
(c) maybe (see b above) the public would also be expected to start off
by sorting their milk bottles into ones with hard/soft tops?

In practice advice like this only works if you can persuade people to
remove *all* bottle tops (and sort them yourself later), or introduce a
process of the public keeping them all, and the processing plant
automatically removing them.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:06:24 on Sun, 3 Feb
2019, Andy Burns remarked:

a councillor from Boston said that
the hard plastic tops on milk bottles can't be recycled. We
are told to remove the tops and place in the recycling
seperately

I have known people who put collecting bags *just* for milk bottle
tops, in workplace kitchens, on the grounds they think they're
especially valuable as recycling material ...

Perhaps they've forgotten it was the tin-foil ones people collected for
Blue Peter?

But I see people do collect the plastic ones as a way of funding guide
dogs for the blind. 70,000 bin bags full for one dog, apparently.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

:-D No wonder we're supposed to be fast asleep....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

wheelie bins Dave UK diy 60 August 14th 10 01:32 AM
Can you save $ by shutting steam radiators in unused rooms? rebbor Home Repair 2 December 4th 06 03:47 AM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Dave UK diy 3 July 7th 06 11:55 PM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant [email protected] UK diy 0 July 7th 06 01:48 PM
TV REPAIR CRTS, PCBS, PARTS, NEW UNUSED PARTS FOR SALE, MAKE US A OFFER, WE CAN SHIP WITH-IN 24 HOURS User Electronics Repair 7 December 19th 05 04:31 PM