Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Braun Toothbrushes

Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is there a
step change somewhere in the range?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is there a
step change somewhere in the range?

The missus has a more expensive than usual one that beeps and pauses
every fifteen seconds so you can move on to the next quarter, and
flashes the handle red if you push too hard against your teeth. These
seem a bit gimmicky to me, but I suppose it's someone's job to think of
these things. Having had to dismantle a few to change the batteries,
I'd suggest that the motor and gears are actually the same. We have a
few ordinary AA battery-powered ones, too, and the batteries last far
longer than a charge does, but the action seems a bit weak.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:29:53 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is there a
step change somewhere in the range?

I would say to make sure you get one with a lithium ion battery. Maybe
they all have now, but it is vastly superior to the previous NiMH.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2019 12:40, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is there a
step change somewhere in the range?

The missus has a more expensive than usual one that beeps and pauses
every fifteen seconds so you can move on to the next quarter, and
flashes the handle red if you push too hard against your teeth.Â* These
seem a bit gimmicky to me, but I suppose it's someone's job to think of
these things.Â* Having had to dismantle a few to change the batteries,
I'd suggest that the motor and gears are actually the same.Â* We have a
few ordinary AA battery-powered ones, too, and the batteries last far
longer than a charge does, but the action seems a bit weak.

I've just upgraded to the cheapest "timer" model, as far as I can see
the mechanics are the same. (Battery on old one was dying). I used to
like the round brushes with the little rubber paddles, but the new one
has a more traditional elongated shape brush, which I also like.

Just what the Phillips? Panasonic? Which best-buy at £200 can do
different, I would really like to know.

I find the timer models motivate you to brush for a bit longer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Just what the Phillips? Panasonic? Which best-buy at £200 can do
different, I would really like to know.

Aren't they ultrasonic, rather than sonic, by that point?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is
there a
step change somewhere in the range?

The missus has a more expensive than usual one that beeps and pauses
every fifteen seconds so you can move on to the next quarter, and
flashes the handle red if you push too hard against your teeth.Â* These
seem a bit gimmicky to me, but I suppose it's someone's job to think
of these things.Â* Having had to dismantle a few to change the
batteries, I'd suggest that the motor and gears are actually the
same.Â* We have a few ordinary AA battery-powered ones, too, and the
batteries last far longer than a charge does, but the action seems a
bit weak.

I've just upgraded to the cheapest "timer" model, as far as I can see
the mechanics are the same. (Battery on old one was dying). I used to
like the round brushes with the little rubber paddles, but the new one
has a more traditional elongated shape brush, which I also like.

Just what the Phillips? Panasonic? Which best-buy at £200 can do
different, I would really like to know.

I find the timer models motivate you to brush for a bit longer.

I tend to brush for a very long time. Probably much longer than they'd
recommend. But I don't often use an electric one anyway, I think you
can do more with an ordinary brush - certainly when it comes to getting
the bristles into the gaps. My teeth are too close together to get
floss in, but we got one of those water flossers, which seems to work well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote in
:

wrote:

Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery /
drive units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or
is there a step change somewhere in the range?

I would say to make sure you get one with a lithium ion battery. Maybe
they all have now, but it is vastly superior to the previous NiMH.

Can we tell?

A problem I have had is wear on the spigot that then lets the whole head
oscilate - losing movement of the actual bristles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 13:47:06 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Scott wrote in
:

wrote:

Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery /
drive units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or
is there a step change somewhere in the range?

I would say to make sure you get one with a lithium ion battery. Maybe
they all have now, but it is vastly superior to the previous NiMH.

Can we tell?

My box was prominently marked lithium ion battery.

A problem I have had is wear on the spigot that then lets the whole head
oscilate - losing movement of the actual bristles.

I have never encountered that. The battery has always been first to
go..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2019 12:29, DerbyBorn wrote:
Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is there a
step change somewhere in the range?

Braun/Oral B
All the same with price premium gimmicks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 12:40:57 UTC, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:

Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is there a
step change somewhere in the range?

The missus has a more expensive than usual one that beeps and pauses
every fifteen seconds so you can move on to the next quarter, and

a mildly annoying feature that only wastes time

flashes the handle red if you push too hard against your teeth. These

Useful if someone is unusually careless

seem a bit gimmicky to me, but I suppose it's someone's job to think of
these things. Having had to dismantle a few to change the batteries,
I'd suggest that the motor and gears are actually the same. We have a
few ordinary AA battery-powered ones, too, and the batteries last far
longer than a charge does, but the action seems a bit weak.

I had an AA one, it died very soon due to corrosion. Can't recommend it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is
there a
step change somewhere in the range?

The missus has a more expensive than usual one that beeps and pauses
every fifteen seconds so you can move on to the next quarter, and
flashes the handle red if you push too hard against your teeth.
These seem a bit gimmicky to me, but I suppose it's someone's job to
think of these things.Â* Having had to dismantle a few to change the
batteries, I'd suggest that the motor and gears are actually the
same.Â* We have a few ordinary AA battery-powered ones, too, and the
batteries last far longer than a charge does, but the action seems a
bit weak.

I've just upgraded to the cheapest "timer" model, as far as I can see
the mechanics are the same. (Battery on old one was dying). I used to
like the round brushes with the little rubber paddles, but the new one
has a more traditional elongated shape brush, which I also like.

Just what the Phillips? Panasonic? Which best-buy at £200 can do
different, I would really like to know.

I find the timer models motivate you to brush for a bit longer.

I tend to brush for a very long time.Â* Probably much longer than they'd
recommend.Â* But I don't often use an electric one anyway, I think you
can do more with an ordinary brush - certainly when it comes to getting
the bristles into the gaps.Â* My teeth are too close together to get
floss in, but we got one of those water flossers, which seems to work well.

The water flossers are not cheap!

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is there a
step change somewhere in the range?

The missus has a more expensive than usual one that beeps and pauses
every fifteen seconds so you can move on to the next quarter, and
flashes the handle red if you push too hard against your teeth.Â* These
seem a bit gimmicky to me, but I suppose it's someone's job to think of
these things.Â* Having had to dismantle a few to change the batteries,
I'd suggest that the motor and gears are actually the same.Â* We have a
few ordinary AA battery-powered ones, too, and the batteries last far
longer than a charge does, but the action seems a bit weak.

I got one like that at a good price from Amazon. I do find the timer
very useful.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is there a
step change somewhere in the range?

The missus has a more expensive than usual one that beeps and pauses
every fifteen seconds so you can move on to the next quarter, and
flashes the handle red if you push too hard against your teeth.* These
seem a bit gimmicky to me, but I suppose it's someone's job to think of
these things.* Having had to dismantle a few to change the batteries,
I'd suggest that the motor and gears are actually the same.* We have a
few ordinary AA battery-powered ones, too, and the batteries last far
longer than a charge does, but the action seems a bit weak.

I got one like that at a good price from Amazon. I do find the timer
very useful.

I find the timer very useful also I liked the visual display in the
past but there is really no need for it (especially as I could not
really see it properly without my glasses!).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

A problem I have had is wear on the spigot that then lets the whole head
oscilate - losing movement of the actual bristles.

I have never encountered that. The battery has always been first to
go..

I reckon it may have been a slightly poor moulding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
[...]

to getting the bristles into the gaps.Â* My teeth are too close
together to get floss in, but we got one of those water flossers,
which seems to work well.

The water flossers are not cheap!

We got one for £35. I don't know if that's cheap, or not; but it does
get a lot of bits of food out, so we're happy with it. It's a bit of a
shock in Winter when the cold water is very cold, but then we use the
mixer tap to fill it with warm water. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2019 16:20, Michael Chare wrote:

I got one like that at a good price from Amazon. I do find the timer
very useful.

Every so often the top of range ones do seem to go on special offer from
various on-line and major supermarket retailers making the price of the
multi-feature models the same or similar to the basic models.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 16:18:39 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
On 16/01/2019 13:16, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

the bristles into the gaps.Â* My teeth are too close together to get
floss in, but we got one of those water flossers, which seems to work well.

The water flossers are not cheap!

Perhaps a 0.3l squeezy bottle & nozzle-cap might work?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2019 13:16, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

Just what the Phillips? Panasonic? Which best-buy at £200 can do
different, I would really like to know.

Aren't they ultrasonic, rather than sonic, by that point?

It would be asking too much for Which to descend to that level of
technical detail. But yes, I suppose that could be it. Our local dental
practice now has both a "mechanical" and an "ultrasonic" hygenist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2019 21:35, newshound wrote:

It would be asking too much for Which to descend to that level of
technical detail. But yes, I suppose that could be it. Our local dental
practice now has both a "mechanical" and an "ultrasonic" hygenist.

That is for cleaning teeth in a different way to brushing. It is often
to remove material that brushing alone cannot do.

Brushing and flossing can be regarded as a preventative process but with
a hygienist the work undertaken is often remedial such as tartar removal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its a bit like fridges, a lot of the innards of stuff like this, food
processors, shavers and the like are built by other companies with only
minor changes, its the outside bits that alter I think.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 16/01/2019 12:29, DerbyBorn wrote:
Are all the different models basically the same motor / battery / drive
units with just the odd gimmick and different heads added - or is there a
step change somewhere in the range?

Braun/Oral B
All the same with price premium gimmicks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 01:39, alan_m wrote:
On 16/01/2019 21:35, newshound wrote:

It would be asking too much for Which to descend to that level of
technical detail. But yes, I suppose that could be it. Our local
dental practice now has both a "mechanical" and an "ultrasonic" hygenist.

That is for cleaning teeth in a different way to brushing. It is often
to remove material that brushing alone cannot do.

Brushing and flossing can be regarded as a preventative process but with
a hygienist the work undertaken is often remedial such as tartar removal.

I used to go to a dentist where you paid £25 for the hygienist [1] to
"scale and polish" before going onto the (NHS) dentist for a check-up.
Rip-off as normally the dentist would do the same job while checking
your teeth for cavities. In fact, I would have thought the dentist would
be more likely to notice problems while scaling rather than just looking.

(This was in the late 80s when they "drilled and filled" anything brown
on your teeth. And insisted on a local anaesthetic injection that was
more painful than the drilling.)

[1] Should be classed with the telephone sanitisers.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 11:16, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

Don't think that is true. In our (private) practice the Hygenist is
*very* thorough and they have just increased the appointment time.
Dentist doesn't do any sort of cleaning. Usually the hygenist first, but
not always.

I think I have had one new cavity since moving to this practice 35 years
ago (plus a couple under existing fillings). The drill comes out every
couple of years for broken fillings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 13:09:37 UTC, newshound wrote:

Just what the Phillips? Panasonic? Which best-buy at £200 can do
different, I would really like to know.

Me too, I wonder if which have done a report on them.

I find the timer models motivate you to brush for a bit longer.

Yes that works for me too, same as getting extra excercise, if teh lift in on the ground floor then I use it, if not I walk up 2 floors.
My current one has a little red light my previous one didn't. My dentist did say I can tell you're using a powered brush but you're pressing too hard I can see the lines left by the brushing action. (she said something other than lines, some dental term).

So know I try to brush more lightly so the light doesn't come on, so maybe that gimick will help.
The other gimmick I like is the timer function.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 19:24:38 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 16/01/2019 16:20, Michael Chare wrote:

I got one like that at a good price from Amazon. I do find the timer
very useful.

Every so often the top of range ones do seem to go on special offer from
various on-line and major supermarket retailers making the price of the
multi-feature models the same or similar to the basic models.

That's when I bought my very first one, there ws a clock module included and as you brushed the emtion thing on it gradually changed to a smile, I guess it was aimed at kids, but it also served as a clock which I'd never had in a bathroom before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2019 11:16, Max Demian wrote:

(This was in the late 80s when they "drilled and filled" anything brown
on your teeth.

It didn't need to be brown in the 60 and 70s when NHS dentists were paid
per filling irrespective of being required or not.

And insisted on a local anaesthetic injection that was
more painful than the drilling.)

It depends on who is using the needle. I've had a dentist who insi sted
in sticking the needle in quite a way and it was painful. Ive had a
dentists who barely scratched the surface of the gum - painless and just
as effective.

[1] Should be classed with the telephone sanitisers.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you press too hard then the bristles no longer scrub - they merely flex
and remain stationary at the tooth end.
Personally I don't think the angle of oscillation is enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:42:15 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

If you press too hard then the bristles no longer scrub - they merely flex
and remain stationary at the tooth end.
Personally I don't think the angle of oscillation is enough.

I wanted the three phase model but apparently this is still under
development :-)