Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dry lining boxes

In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Kitchen fitters tend to use the cheapest and fastest method.

Better alternatives are available when you DIY.

--
*Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 11:09:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Kitchen fitters tend to use the cheapest and fastest method.

Better alternatives are available when you DIY.

I guessed that. I'm wondering whether it is a recognised method or a
bodge. i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2019 11:21, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 11:09:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Kitchen fitters tend to use the cheapest and fastest method.

Better alternatives are available when you DIY.

I guessed that. I'm wondering whether it is a recognised method or a
bodge. i

Certainly a recognised method but badly executed. Within the backbox
itself there might be a method to aligning the faceplate when fitted as
there is in most metal plaster in boxes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2019 10:48, Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

No. But you can pull them out and replace. It's the lugs that clamp them
when done up as I'm sure you're aware.

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

No reason why not. if the lugs can accommodate the thickness.

--
Email does not work

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott Wrote in message:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 11:09:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Kitchen fitters tend to use the cheapest and fastest method.

Better alternatives are available when you DIY.

I guessed that. I'm wondering whether it is a recognised method or a
bodge. i

Are you? :-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect they screwed them on that way because the lugs would not go back far enough to hook round the chipboard. As I have previously said I found out to my cost when trying to install boxes that only accommodate PB up to 12mm. You can get boxes that will fit thicker PB and that is probably what you need to specify when ordering.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

I found out to my cost when trying to install boxes that only
accommodate PB up to 12mm. You can get boxes that will fit thicker PB
and that is probably what you need to specify when ordering.

These claim up to 18mm

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/19679d/double-dry-lining-box/dp/PL04304?st=dry%20lining%20boxes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 11:48:11 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

Scott Wrote in message:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 11:09:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Kitchen fitters tend to use the cheapest and fastest method.

Better alternatives are available when you DIY.

I guessed that. I'm wondering whether it is a recognised method or a
bodge. i

Are you? :-D

I was at this stage but having read some of the other posts I feel
wiser :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/01/2019 12:15, Andy Burns wrote:

Tricky Dicky wrote:

I found out to my cost when trying to install boxes that only
accommodate PB up to 12mm. You can get boxes that will fit thicker PB
and that is probably what you need to specify when ordering.

These claim up to 18mm

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/19679d/double-dry-lining-box/dp/PL04304?st=dry%20lining%20boxes

Some of the 47mm dry liners have lugs that will fit double boarded walls.

Probably Scolmore ones from memory, but not the Appeleby ones with the
yellow lugs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/01/2019 10:48, Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Get them back to do the job properly.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 18:31:38 +0000, ARW
wrote:

On 16/01/2019 10:48, Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Get them back to do the job properly.

Given that I am not a qualified electrician, would I not need to
instruct an expert report to demonstrate that what they have done is
not correct? This could cost orders of magnitude more than the sum in
dispute.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:15:00 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Tricky Dicky wrote:

I found out to my cost when trying to install boxes that only
accommodate PB up to 12mm. You can get boxes that will fit thicker PB
and that is probably what you need to specify when ordering.

These claim up to 18mm

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/19679d/double-dry-lining-box/dp/PL04304?st=dry%20lining%20boxes

Thanks. I make the thickness 18mm but that is not an accurate
measurement given I have not removed the existing box.

There is plenty of space behind so I wonder if a 47mm box would be a
better bet.

Looking elsewhere, I wonder if a pattress box - with four screws in
the corners - would be an option. This must happen all the time with
chipboard. I am amazed that the boxes don't fit by default.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tricky Dicky wrote:

I found out to my cost when trying to install boxes that only
accommodate PB up to 12mm. You can get boxes that will fit thicker PB
and that is probably what you need to specify when ordering.

These claim up to 18mm

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/19679d/double-dry-lining-box/dp/PL04304?st=dry%20lining%20boxes

Thanks. I make the thickness 18mm but that is not an accurate
measurement given I have not removed the existing box.

There is plenty of space behind so I wonder if a 47mm box would be a
better bet.

Sorry. More research. Up to 20mm.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/858...lining%20boxes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On 16/01/2019 10:48, Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Get them back to do the job properly.

Given that I am not a qualified electrician, would I not need to
instruct an expert report to demonstrate that what they have done is
not correct? This could cost orders of magnitude more than the sum in
dispute.

What have electrics got to do with it?

This is a mechanical job.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/01/2019 10:48, Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Get them back to do the job properly.

Given that I am not a qualified electrician, would I not need to
instruct an expert report to demonstrate that what they have done is
not correct? This could cost orders of magnitude more than the sum in
dispute.

If the complaint is that the sockets are crooked in or another plane
then this is aesthetics, net electrical fitting, so you are as qualified
as anyone to object.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If they have not done the wiring yet, simply take out the crap ones and fit the right sort, they probably will not notice it anyway. Even if the wiring is done replacing like for like is not notifiable so you can still do DIY.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 07:25:21 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

If they have not done the wiring yet, simply take out the crap ones and fit the right sort, they probably will not notice it anyway. Even if the wiring is done replacing like for like is not notifiable so you can still do DIY.

That is exactly what I am planning to do. I am waiting for a
replacement socket from MK. I have bought a box with screws in the
front (also MK) which I hope will overcome all the fitting
difficulties and produce a neat job. .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

wrote:

On 16/01/2019 10:48, Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Get them back to do the job properly.

Given that I am not a qualified electrician, would I not need to
instruct an expert report to demonstrate that what they have done is
not correct? This could cost orders of magnitude more than the sum in
dispute.

If the complaint is that the sockets are crooked in or another plane
then this is aesthetics, net electrical fitting, so you are as qualified
as anyone to object.

It's about electrical fitting, as I said. As I see it, if the
electrician gives evidence that it is customary to fit in this way,
and bring witness to this effect, then I don't see how I can win in
the absence of technical evidence. Unless anyone here fancies a wee
day out ....

If the final result looks nice and is stable then it is probably as good
a way of fitting them as any and I don't see what you are complaining
about. If they don't look straight and satisfactory you need no
technical evidence to reject them.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Because screws that should move in or out with ease require a huge
amount of force to align and insert. Boxes must be designed with
moveable lugs for a reason.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

[...]

Adjustable lugs are just there to level the switch and socket off.

If you are having problems screwing back the socket then they have not
fully opened out the lugs before screwing them to the chip board or more
likely in this case have distorted the dry liner (your reference to not
parallel).

Either way it is wrong.

--
Adam

Like 'V' lining but not 'V'' lining !! robgraham UK diy 5 May 30th 11 04:50 PM
Cheap Storage Boxes | Cheap Moving Boxes | Smart Storage Boxes rozy zenstin Metalworking 0 October 25th 10 02:24 PM
Wiring Practise Q for dry lining boxes Rick Hughes UK diy 15 May 31st 04 10:51 AM
Dry lining boxes John Horne UK diy 1 January 19th 04 12:59 PM
Woodburners and dry lining 4-LOM UK diy 12 January 17th 04 12:06 PM