Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Side flush lever trouble

Im trying to mend a toilet flush mechanism its a bog standard syphonic flush mechanism but rather than a lever at the front of the cistern theres a paddle sticking out of the side fairly like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Ideal-Stand...8994815&chn=ps

The person whose toilet it is paid a ridiculous amount (£68) for a new lever but its about a centimetre shorter than the old one so when the lever operates, rather than pulling the plunger in the flush mechanism straight up, it tends to pull it up but slightly to the right and this is sufficient to make the thing not work first time, nine times out of ten very annoying!

I refashioned the wire loop that connects the two bits and so far its not been successful. The hole in the lever is fairly near the end of the lever so I cant make another hole.

Any advice appreciated
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

I'm trying to mend a toilet flush mechanism it's a bog standard syphonic
flush mechanism but rather than a lever at the front of the cistern
there's a "paddle" sticking out of the side fairly like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Ideal-Stand...Chrome-Cistern
-Lever/19026773301?iid=132328994815&chn=ps

The person whose toilet it is paid a ridiculous amount (£68) for a new
lever but it's about a centimetre shorter than the old one so when the
lever operates, rather than pulling the plunger in the flush mechanism
straight up, it tends to pull it up but slightly to the right and this is
sufficient to make the thing not work first time, nine times out of ten
very annoying!

I refashioned the wire loop that connects the two bits and so far it's not
been successful. The hole in the lever is fairly near the end of the lever
so I can't make another hole.

Any advice appreciated

Can you bolt a small extension made of a.uminium angle, or perhaps
u-section channel to the end of the lever?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Obviously it needs an extension of some kind bonded to the arm.
Araldite something on it perhaps?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Im trying to mend a toilet flush mechanism its a bog standard syphonic flush mechanism but rather than a lever at the front of the cistern theres a paddle sticking out of the side fairly like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Ideal-Stand...8994815&chn=ps

The person whose toilet it is paid a ridiculous amount (68) for a new lever but its about a centimetre shorter than the old one so when the lever operates, rather than pulling the plunger in the flush mechanism straight up, it tends to pull it up but slightly to the right and this is sufficient to make the thing not work first time, nine times out of ten very annoying!

I refashioned the wire loop that connects the two bits and so far its not been successful. The hole in the lever is fairly near the end of the lever so I cant make another hole.

Any advice appreciated

Almost half the price and a ruler for the size
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/273379958077?chn=ps

(sorry)

I agree with Roger about the bolt-on extension.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, yes I think it's time for Araldite and some stainless steel to extend the arm

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 15/01/2019 19:56, Murmansk wrote:
Im trying to mend a toilet flush mechanism its a bog standard syphonic flush mechanism but rather than a lever at the front of the cistern theres a paddle sticking out of the side fairly like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Ideal-Stand...8994815&chn=ps

The person whose toilet it is paid a ridiculous amount (£68) for a new lever but its about a centimetre shorter than the old one so when the lever operates, rather than pulling the plunger in the flush mechanism straight up, it tends to pull it up but slightly to the right and this is sufficient to make the thing not work first time, nine times out of ten very annoying!

I refashioned the wire loop that connects the two bits and so far its not been successful. The hole in the lever is fairly near the end of the lever so I cant make another hole.

Any advice appreciated

Ideal Standard are a complete PITA. Nothing about them is standard & the
parts are a ridiculous price.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman