Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default min max thermometer

Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

Are the floating min/max pins magnetic?

try a few hot/cold cycles

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 10:48:38 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
fred wrote:

Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

Are the floating min/max pins magnetic?

try a few hot/cold cycles

+1 fwiw

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred writes:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

Sounds like an Astrology problem... ;-)

Can you get it cold enough to pull all the mercury into the bulb,
like maybe in your freezer?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Can you get it cold enough to pull all the mercury into the bulb,
like maybe in your freezer?

Might help to cool the bulb only, rather that the whole thermometer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 12:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Can you get it cold enough to pull all the mercury into the bulb,
like maybe in your freezer?

Might help to cool the bulb only, rather that the whole thermometer?

Freezer spray?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/freezer-sprays/0846682/

Probably much cheaper elsewhere. Also used for freezing water in
plumbing pipes etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

I found string tied to the end plus lots of room to swing it a quick
method that had some effect.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

When mine did that I heated it up until most the mercury went into the
expansion bulb.
Then it cooled with the mercury unbroken.

You have to be sure that none of the liquid passes the mercury.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Can you get it cold enough to pull all the mercury into the bulb,
like maybe in your freezer?

Might help to cool the bulb only, rather that the whole thermometer?

Freezer spray?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/freezer-sprays/0846682/

Probably much cheaper elsewhere. Also used for freezing water in
plumbing pipes etc.

I missed the OP but if its a thermomter with the little thingies that
stay there to indicate max or min, maybe a really powerful magnet can
reset them and pull the mercury back

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

When mine did that I heated it up until most the mercury went into the
expansion bulb.
Then it cooled with the mercury unbroken.

You have to be sure that none of the liquid passes the mercury.

What liquid?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Can you get it cold enough to pull all the mercury into the bulb,
like maybe in your freezer?

Might help to cool the bulb only, rather that the whole thermometer?

Freezer spray?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/freezer-sprays/0846682/

Probably much cheaper elsewhere. Also used for freezing water in
plumbing pipes etc.

Air duster cans used upside down also work (I buy in bulk from Costco),
and also butane lighter refill cans (used outside, away from ignition
sources). Never measured what temp they go down to though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 17:07, Tim+ wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

When mine did that I heated it up until most the mercury went into the
expansion bulb.
Then it cooled with the mercury unbroken.

You have to be sure that none of the liquid passes the mercury.

What liquid?

The liquid (eg alcohol) in the bulb that pushes the mercury round the
glass into the vacuum as the temperature rises. The mercury is just an
indicator.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It has a small leak somewhere.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"fred" wrote in message
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other
solutions ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 18:02, Tim+ wrote:
Robin Wrote in message:
On 15/01/2019 17:07, Tim+ wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

When mine did that I heated it up until most the mercury went into the
expansion bulb.
Then it cooled with the mercury unbroken.

You have to be sure that none of the liquid passes the mercury.

What liquid?

The liquid (eg alcohol) in the bulb that pushes the mercury round the
glass into the vacuum as the temperature rises. The mercury is just an
indicator.

Cheers. Not owned a min/max thermometer before.

It's hard to see how they work if the ends are shrouded leaving what
looks like 2 thermometers side by side. I remember a school A-level
problem to explain by inspection how such a thing worked. IIRC I got
there in the end; but that I thought the universe would be a better
place if there were a liquid that looked like mercury but contracted as
it got hotter.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 17:23, Robin wrote:
On 15/01/2019 17:07, Tim+ wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other
solutions ?

When mine did that I heated it up until most the mercury went into the
expansion bulb.
Then it cooled with the mercury unbroken.

You have to be sure that none of the liquid passes the mercury.

What liquid?

The liquid (eg alcohol) in the bulb that pushes the mercury round the
glass into the vacuum as the temperature rises.Â* The mercury is just an
indicator.

No, it isn't

--
€œPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 17:07, Tim+ wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other
solutions ?

When mine did that I heated it up until most the mercury went into the
expansion bulb.
Then it cooled with the mercury unbroken.

You have to be sure that none of the liquid passes the mercury.

What liquid?

The liquid (eg alcohol) in the bulb that pushes the mercury round the
glass into the vacuum as the temperature rises.Â* The mercury is just
an indicator.

No, it isn't

Are you suggesting that it's not a "Six's thermometer"?

Or are you taking the point that the length of the mercury will also
change with temperature? (IIRC by about 1 mm for a temperature change
of 50 degrees C in a typical small model.)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 1:27:59 PM UTC, Robin wrote:
On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

I found string tied to the end plus lots of room to swing it a quick
method that had some effect.

--
Robin

Ill try the string !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other
solutions ?

Over night in the freezer and all morning om a hot radiator/ Mercury stil has bubbles in it and I'm only seeing one tell tale

Cheap Chinese (£5) so what could I expect ? Thought it worth a punt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

I found string tied to the end plus lots of room to swing it a quick
method that had some effect.

--
Robin

Ill try the string !

hang on tight or do it outdoors, or you'll be collecting mercury
blobs from all over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other
solutions ?

I found string tied to the end plus lots of room to swing it a quick
method that had some effect.

--
Robin

Ill try the string !

hang on tight or do it outdoors, or you'll be collecting mercury
blobs from all over.

also:

a. you may need to attach the thermometer to something denser (I used a
ring spanner) in order to swing it fast enough (overcoming air
resistance). If so, think strong string attached to the spanner or whatever

b. the pseudo force is proportional to radius x angular velocity squared
so that's another reason for outside (unless you have a big house)

c. some recommend practising with a cat.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:

Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

I found string tied to the end plus lots of room to swing it a quick
method that had some effect.

Ill try the string !

hang on tight or do it outdoors, or you'll be collecting mercury
blobs from all over.

You'll probably find that none of the parts are assembled robustly enough to swing it round.

NT