Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning alcohol

Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified.
It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Meths.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 17:20, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified.
It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Meths.

Meths is crap for pretty much anything.

IPA is reasonably decent as a weak solvent and readily available.

Carbon TetraChloride was the ******** but you won't get that anymore
('cos it gives you cancer**)

** When I die, it's going to be a toss up between the Coal Tar, CCl4,
funky food colours and the asbestos!

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 19:46, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

This is why I like IPA...

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curiousÂ* wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

This is why I like IPA...

indiana pale ale is awful
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â*Â*Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curiousÂ* wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

Not very much, though, even from purple "meths". The toxic bit is
methanol which is even more volatile than ethanol, the dye is pyridine
but only at a tiny level

This is why I like IPA...

Agreed

The trouble with white spirit is that contains hydrocarbon molecules of
various lengths, and the longer are less volatile. Unless you apply a
little heat it won't evaporate quite as quickly as meths or IPA.

Oh, but white spirit is not significantly toxic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 17:10, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

no, but the pong hangs around

Use gin or vodka...:-)

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified.
It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Meths.

Meths is crap for pretty much anything.

IPA is reasonably decent as a weak solvent and readily available.

Carbon TetraChloride was the ******** but you won't get that anymore
('cos it gives you cancer**)

** When I die, it's going to be a toss up between the Coal Tar, CCl4,
funky food colours and the asbestos!

I would have thought that meths would have been fine for this job.

I carry meths in the van for cleaning old sockets and switches.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

When I was a haematology techician in the 70's we had 2 litre
'winchester' bottles of pure ethanol in the lab for diagnostic purposes,
presumably tax-free because I remember it was absurdly cheap for 2
litres of 100% alcohol.

Medical students were always trying to get pally with the female
technicians (not many female medical students in those days) to try and
get something to make their party drinks go with a bang.

One day Customs and excise paid us a visit and insisted that we kept
a register of the exact amounts removed for diagnostic purposes and
to *return* the excess back to the container.

Chief technician got quite agitated explaining why we would and could
not do this. Eventually it was escalated up to higher levels to make
them shove off.

Even normal hot weather (no aircon in those days) made it evaporate
pretty quickly, apart from the no-no of contaminating the bulk bottle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified.
It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Meths.

Meths is crap for pretty much anything.

IPA is reasonably decent as a weak solvent and readily available.

Carbon TetraChloride was the ******** but you won't get that anymore
('cos it gives you cancer**)

** When I die, it's going to be a toss up between the Coal Tar, CCl4,
funky food colours and the asbestos!

I would have thought that meths would have been fine for this job.

I carry meths in the van for cleaning old sockets and switches.

Indeed. Or just get some iso propyl alcohol which is what is used
to clean your skin before a blood test. Also used for screen wipes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified.
It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Meths.

Meths is crap for pretty much anything.

IPA is reasonably decent as a weak solvent and readily available.

Carbon TetraChloride was the ******** but you won't get that anymore
('cos it gives you cancer**)

** When I die, it's going to be a toss up between the Coal Tar, CCl4,
funky food colours and the asbestos!

I would have thought that meths would have been fine for this job.

I carry meths in the van for cleaning old sockets and switches.

I use meths first, if that's not food enough, acetone.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious wrote

Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified.
It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

I wouldnt. Alcohol evaporates away very quickly. White spirit doesnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It is
to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

And doesnt evaporate anywhere near as well as alcohol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues.

But those residues are trivial and don't interfere with the
adhesive on the hooks so that is why alcohol is stated.

(Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 17:10, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

no, but the pong hangs around

Use gin or vodka...:-)

Both have a residue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified.
It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Meths.

Meths is crap for pretty much anything.

IPA is reasonably decent as a weak solvent and readily available.

Carbon TetraChloride was the ******** but you won't get that anymore
('cos it gives you cancer**)

** When I die, it's going to be a toss up between the Coal Tar, CCl4,
funky food colours and the asbestos!

I would have thought that meths would have been fine for this job.

I carry meths in the van for cleaning old sockets and switches.

I use meths first, if that's not food enough, acetone.

Bit radical drinking acetone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 January 2019 19:46:57 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:

Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

You can always freeze vodka. That gets you pretty close.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified.
It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Meths.

Meths is crap for pretty much anything.

IPA is reasonably decent as a weak solvent and readily available.

Carbon TetraChloride was the ******** but you won't get that anymore
('cos it gives you cancer**)

** When I die, it's going to be a toss up between the Coal Tar, CCl4,
funky food colours and the asbestos!

I would have thought that meths would have been fine for this job.

I carry meths in the van for cleaning old sockets and switches.

Indeed. Or just get some iso propyl alcohol which is what is used
to clean your skin before a blood test. Also used for screen wipes.

And for some reason quite a bit cheaper at ebuyer

https://www.ebuyer.com/366815

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They probably mean IPA. I seem to recall its pretty cheap from CPC or used
to be, its the stuff we used to use to clean tape recorder parts.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It is
to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

They probably mean IPA.

Nope, metho.

I seem to recall its pretty cheap from CPC or used to be, its the stuff we
used to use to clean tape recorder parts.

Metho works fine for that.

wrote in message
On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-14, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

Isopropanol from RS Components or a similar supplier?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-14, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

Isopropanol from RS Components or a similar supplier?

surgical spirit is ethanol adulterated with methanol but without the
purple dye.

Although it has other alduterants to make it a bit more 'medical'

Isopropyl is always the best bet for degreasing.

Boots lens cleaner for example

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-14, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Jethro_uk writes:
[...]

Why don't winos drink it, as it's less toxic than meths?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
surgical spirit is ethanol adulterated with methanol but without the
purple dye.

Although it has other alduterants to make it a bit more 'medical'

In the UK, surgical spirit also contains oil, and a topical anaesthetic
(usually asprin as methyl salicylate).
The formulation in different countries varies widely though.

Isopropyl is always the best bet for degreasing.

Boots lens cleaner for example

Really? I have several other lens cleaners here, but they all emphasise
alcohol free, although they smell of some organic solvent.

Reminds me, my father went to clean his specs a few weeks ago, but
they were just getting more and more smeary. I looked at the lens
cleaner (which he could no longer read by this stage), and he'd
picked up a bottle a spray-on latex by mistake.
That did take some effort to get off...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:

Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

You can always freeze vodka. That gets you pretty close.

NT

So where do you get your duty free vodka?

There's no lack of illegal spirits on sale, but I would not recommend/advise it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 12:03, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
surgical spirit is ethanol adulterated with methanol but without the
purple dye.

Although it has other alduterants to make it a bit more 'medical'

In the UK, surgical spirit also contains oil, and a topical anaesthetic
(usually asprin as methyl salicylate).
The formulation in different countries varies widely though.

Isopropyl is always the best bet for degreasing.

Boots lens cleaner for example

Really? I have several other lens cleaners here, but they all emphasise
alcohol free, although they smell of some organic solvent.

Mmm. I just looked at my wiopes and they have 'denatured alcohol' and
water in them..

So meths without the dye, again...

Reminds me, my father went to clean his specs a few weeks ago, but
they were just getting more and more smeary. I looked at the lens
cleaner (which he could no longer read by this stage), and he'd
picked up a bottle a spray-on latex by mistake.
That did take some effort to get off...

--
Socialism is the philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the
gospel of envy.

Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Winston Churchill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 17:00, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Splash out on a box of lens wipes, these are soaked in IPA and in
individual sealed packets.
I use them all the time for degreasing.
You can get a box of 100 from Savers etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-14, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk writes:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:09:13 -0800, tabbypurr wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 17:00:45 UTC, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It
is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Either degreases. White spirit is more toxic.

NT

I would have thought white spirit would leave a residue ?

Other way around - white spirit leaves no residue or smell once it's
evaporated, but being much less volatile, that takes much longer,
and it stinks more until it's evaporated.
Your alcohol will have additives to make it toxic and to colour it,
and these leave residues. (Pure ethanol wouldn't, but you can't buy
that without paying lots of duty.)

Isopropanol from RS Components or a similar supplier?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079YVPZDF

£6.50 for 1l.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk writes:
[...]

Likely fine for cleaning. Risks having some
methanol but thats fine for cleaning.

I do in fact save the first run fraction when I make
mine. Its normally discarded but is fine for cleaning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.

Meths.

Meths is crap for pretty much anything.

IPA is reasonably decent as a weak solvent and readily available.

Carbon TetraChloride was the ******** but you won't get that anymore
('cos it gives you cancer**)

** When I die, it's going to be a toss up between the Coal Tar, CCl4,
funky food colours and the asbestos!

I have three Commander hooks stuck on to three gloss painted doors. They
have not fallen off in the past 6 years.
I used meths to clean the doors where the hooks were going to be.
That is good enough for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified.
It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

Meths.

Meths is crap for pretty much anything.

IPA is reasonably decent as a weak solvent and readily available.

Carbon TetraChloride was the ******** but you won't get that anymore
('cos it gives you cancer**)

** When I die, it's going to be a toss up between the Coal Tar, CCl4,
funky food colours and the asbestos!

I would have thought that meths would have been fine for this job.

I carry meths in the van for cleaning old sockets and switches.

I use meths first, if that's not food enough, acetone.

I also carry nail polish remover:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds good will chase up some meths.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 20:00, % wrote:

indiana pale ale is awful

It's supposed to be India, not Indiana. If your brewer doesn't even know
that it's no wonder the beer is crap.

(There are decent ones in the USA now.)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2019 17:55, ARW wrote:

I also carry nail polish remover:-)

That may contain some oil or such as a moisturiser. Acetone dries the
skin something awful.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 17:00, curious wrote:
Can white spirit be used to clean tiles where alcohol is specified. It is to fit Command hanging hooks which specify clean with alcohol .

I often use surgical spirit for such things.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Isopropyl Alcohol for Cleaning Flux Joe Electronics Repair 31 August 2nd 10 07:08 PM
Difference between Rubbing Alcohol and Bleach for cleaning? [email protected] Home Ownership 5 March 20th 06 11:25 PM
Alcohol based paint John Rumm UK diy 0 December 19th 04 01:51 AM
Denatured Alcohol before Water-based Primer? wendi Home Repair 3 July 7th 04 08:35 PM
PDF of _Distillation of Alcohol and De-Naturing_ by F.B. Wright Gunner Metalworking 8 October 14th 03 03:29 PM