Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's this lightbulb?

I bought a lightbulb (and a ceramic holder and rotary lightswitch) in a
second-hand shop yesterday. They had many beautiful items taken from an
old electronics teaching laboratory - all brass, steel, ceramic and
wood.

The lightbulb:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw0vnqdtvemf0ld/lightbulb.jpg?dl=0.

It's about 10cm tall, and has an Edison screw. The filament loops up and
down the bulb in six lengths. It's made by Osram, but there are o other
readable markings on it.

Any idea what the purpose of a lightbulb like this might be?

I'm tempted to run it at low voltage to see what it looks like
illuminated, but I'd hate to damage the filament.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 January 2019 07:12:58 UTC, D.M. Procida wrote:
I bought a lightbulb (and a ceramic holder and rotary lightswitch) in a
second-hand shop yesterday. They had many beautiful items taken from an
old electronics teaching laboratory - all brass, steel, ceramic and
wood.

The lightbulb:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw0vnqdtvemf0ld/lightbulb.jpg?dl=0.

It's about 10cm tall, and has an Edison screw. The filament loops up and
down the bulb in six lengths. It's made by Osram, but there are o other
readable markings on it.

Any idea what the purpose of a lightbulb like this might be?

I'm tempted to run it at low voltage to see what it looks like
illuminated, but I'd hate to damage the filament.

Daniele

It's just old. Intended to go in a floodlight.
In days of yore they couldn't make reliable thin tungsten filaments so they had to be long.
It IS interesting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 07:12, D.M. Procida wrote:
I bought a lightbulb (and a ceramic holder and rotary lightswitch) in a
second-hand shop yesterday. They had many beautiful items taken from an
old electronics teaching laboratory - all brass, steel, ceramic and
wood.

The lightbulb:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw0vnqdtvemf0ld/lightbulb.jpg?dl=0.

It's about 10cm tall, and has an Edison screw. The filament loops up and
down the bulb in six lengths. It's made by Osram, but there are o other
readable markings on it.

Any idea what the purpose of a lightbulb like this might be?

"Let There Be Light"

Looks to be an old cylinder filament bulb - c.f. modern versions such as

https://www.hollowaysofludlow.com/sh..._filament_bulb

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
(D.M. Procida) writes:
I bought a lightbulb (and a ceramic holder and rotary lightswitch) in a
second-hand shop yesterday. They had many beautiful items taken from an
old electronics teaching laboratory - all brass, steel, ceramic and
wood.

The lightbulb:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw0vnqdtvemf0ld/lightbulb.jpg?dl=0.

It's about 10cm tall, and has an Edison screw. The filament loops up and
down the bulb in six lengths. It's made by Osram, but there are o other
readable markings on it.

Any idea what the purpose of a lightbulb like this might be?

I'm tempted to run it at low voltage to see what it looks like
illuminated, but I'd hate to damage the filament.

It was a standard physics laboratory supplies lamp, used to make
an image of the filament in things like pin-hole viewers/cameras.

It might not be mains voltage. If it's an uncoiled filament, it
isn't long enough. If it's a single coiled filament, it might be.

Measure the filament resistance with a test meter.
V^2/(resistance * 15) will give you the approx power rating
assuming a tungsten filament. (The times 15 is to correct for the
temperature change when running, although it may be too high a
factor for such a stretched filament lamp.)

It is sort of mimicing the original squirrel cage filament lamps,
but those were far too fragile to be used in a lab where they
would likely be moved around.

The other type of lamp used for this were carbon filament lamps,
but the filament in yours is far too long and floppy to be a
carbon filament lamp. (They are usually 2 - 4 loops, unsupported.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Even today they don't make reliable filaments either, long or not. I have a
couple of display cabinets with the filament strip lights behind a baton.
although the filaments are supported every inch or so along the tube they
used to fail very fast. I now run two in series which I'm told gives off a
nice golden light which makes the crystal sparkle better.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

On Monday, 14 January 2019 07:12:58 UTC, D.M. Procida wrote:
I bought a lightbulb (and a ceramic holder and rotary lightswitch) in a
second-hand shop yesterday. They had many beautiful items taken from an
old electronics teaching laboratory - all brass, steel, ceramic and
wood.

The lightbulb:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw0vnqdtvemf0ld/lightbulb.jpg?dl=0.

It's about 10cm tall, and has an Edison screw. The filament loops up and
down the bulb in six lengths. It's made by Osram, but there are o other
readable markings on it.

Any idea what the purpose of a lightbulb like this might be?

I'm tempted to run it at low voltage to see what it looks like
illuminated, but I'd hate to damage the filament.

It's just old. Intended to go in a floodlight. n days of yore they
Icouldn't make reliable thin tungsten filaments so they had to be long.
It IS interesting.

So likely to be a high-powered, standard mains voltage bulb?

I assume it would not come to any harm run at a lower voltage, though I
know that some lamps can darken as the result of deposits on the inside
of the glass when run dimmed.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 09:12, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
(D.M. Procida) writes:
[...]

I thought hairpin style filaments weren't coiled - hence the tubular
design (up to at least 8 inches long IIRC) to make them long enough.

Measure the filament resistance with a test meter.
V^2/(resistance * 15) will give you the approx power rating
assuming a tungsten filament. (The times 15 is to correct for the
temperature change when running, although it may be too high a
factor for such a stretched filament lamp.)

It is sort of mimicing the original squirrel cage filament lamps,
but those were far too fragile to be used in a lab where they
would likely be moved around.

The other type of lamp used for this were carbon filament lamps,
but the filament in yours is far too long and floppy to be a
carbon filament lamp. (They are usually 2 - 4 loops, unsupported.)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 09:31, D.M. Procida wrote:

snip

So likely to be a high-powered, standard mains voltage bulb?

If it is mains, there probably wasn't a 'standard' supply voltage when
it was made.

I assume it would not come to any harm run at a lower voltage, though I
know that some lamps can darken as the result of deposits on the inside
of the glass when run dimmed.

Daniele

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/01/2019 09:33, Robin wrote:

I thought hairpin style filaments weren't coiled - hence the tubular
design (up to at least 8 inches long IIRC) to make them long enough.

If you zoom in on the photo, you can see that this filament is coiled
quite loosely.

A modern tungsten filament bulb is double-coiled, ie the wire is wound
into a very fine spiral, and then that spiral is coiled again.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...d3a0ca379faa72

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-f...uce-more-light

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 11:21, GB wrote:
On 14/01/2019 09:33, Robin wrote:

I thought hairpin style filaments weren't coiled - hence the tubular
design (up to at least 8 inches long IIRC) to make them long enough.

If you zoom in on the photo, you can see that this filament is coiled
quite loosely.

My terminological failu I grew up with "coiled" as shorthand for
coiled-coil, never having met a lamp that was a _single_ straight wire.
Indeed, ones like Daniele's which clearly has the filament passing up
and down were sometimes called "straight wire".

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

It was a standard physics laboratory supplies lamp, used to make
an image of the filament in things like pin-hole viewers/cameras.

It might not be mains voltage. If it's an uncoiled filament, it
isn't long enough. If it's a single coiled filament, it might be.

I thought hairpin style filaments weren't coiled - hence the tubular
design (up to at least 8 inches long IIRC) to make them long enough.

It is indeed coiled.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin writes:
On 14/01/2019 11:21, GB wrote:
On 14/01/2019 09:33, Robin wrote:

I thought hairpin style filaments weren't coiled - hence the tubular
design (up to at least 8 inches long IIRC) to make them long enough.

If you zoom in on the photo, you can see that this filament is coiled
quite loosely.

My terminological failu I grew up with "coiled" as shorthand for
coiled-coil, never having met a lamp that was a _single_ straight wire.
Indeed, ones like Daniele's which clearly has the filament passing up
and down were sometimes called "straight wire".

The squirrel cage filament lamps were not coiled, but had a
significantly longer filament than the lamp in the picture.

The double-ended tubular 30W and 60W filament lamps are single
coil to make the filament long enough. They are normally vacuum
tubes too, as any gas fill has a significant cooling effect
on such a long filament and it wouldn't get up to temperature.
To compensate for lack of gas fill, the filaments are underrun
to avoid the tungsten subliming too fast, but that also makes
them horribly inefficient, and they were still only rated 750
hours. Altogether, a bad idea.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 15:45, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Robin writes:
On 14/01/2019 11:21, GB wrote:
On 14/01/2019 09:33, Robin wrote:

I thought hairpin style filaments weren't coiled - hence the tubular
design (up to at least 8 inches long IIRC) to make them long enough.

If you zoom in on the photo, you can see that this filament is coiled
quite loosely.

My terminological failu I grew up with "coiled" as shorthand for
coiled-coil, never having met a lamp that was a _single_ straight wire.
Indeed, ones like Daniele's which clearly has the filament passing up
and down were sometimes called "straight wire".

The squirrel cage filament lamps were not coiled, but had a
significantly longer filament than the lamp in the picture.

Pointed cap donned

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 07:12, D.M. Procida wrote:
I bought a lightbulb (and a ceramic holder and rotary lightswitch) in a
second-hand shop yesterday. They had many beautiful items taken from an
old electronics teaching laboratory - all brass, steel, ceramic and
wood.

The lightbulb:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw0vnqdtvemf0ld/lightbulb.jpg?dl=0.

It's about 10cm tall, and has an Edison screw. The filament loops up and
down the bulb in six lengths. It's made by Osram, but there are o other
readable markings on it.

Any idea what the purpose of a lightbulb like this might be?

I'm tempted to run it at low voltage to see what it looks like
illuminated, but I'd hate to damage the filament.

Daniele

It's a Cathermin tube with an indium complex of +4.

Used in an Interocitor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 20:27, mm0fmf wrote:
On 14/01/2019 07:12, D.M. Procida wrote:
I bought a lightbulb (and a ceramic holder and rotary lightswitch) in a
second-hand shop yesterday. They had many beautiful items taken from an
old electronics teaching laboratory - all brass, steel, ceramic and
wood.

The lightbulb:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw0vnqdtvemf0ld/lightbulb.jpg?dl=0.

It's about 10cm tall, and has an Edison screw. The filament loops up and
down the bulb in six lengths. It's made by Osram, but there are o other
readable markings on it.

Any idea what the purpose of a lightbulb like this might be?

I'm tempted to run it at low voltage to see what it looks like
illuminated, but I'd hate to damage the filament.

Daniele

It's a Cathermin tube with an indium complex of +4.

Used in an Interocitor.

One presumes you must be old enough to recall the film "This Island Earth"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 21:20, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

One of best, if not the best, 1950's SF film. It's fun and entertaining
whilst films like The Day The Earth Stood Still are too serious. The
original is excellent and the MST3000 skit is priceless.

Use your intensifier disk on YouTube to enjoy it if you don't have it on
DVD. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 21:30, mm0fmf wrote:
[...]

Has it stood the test of time like Forbidden Planet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
There was a "fashion" (in the late 80s I think) for cars to have
dim-dipped lights - in fact I think it was a legal requirement at one
time - where, with the ignition on and sidelights on, the headlamp bulbs
were connected in series (for more light in dusk I assume). This was
supposed to have shortened the lives of the halogen bulbs used at the time.

Common on London taxis - but they used the all in one Lucas sealed beam
unit, which wasn't halogen.

These days that same unit on full looks like dim dip.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I've often wondered where the title comes from. It sounds like a
quotation, but I can't trace it.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 23:50, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

Forbidden Planet is a great film but is "stiff" in comparison and
whenever I see Leslie Nielson, even when he's young, I expect him to
break into a Frank Drebin Police Squad routine.

Sheared lightbulb in recessed socket kj Home Repair 26 September 19th 05 09:15 PM
Lightbulb paint Matt Home Repair 5 May 19th 05 02:50 AM
wedding rings from coins (and a concrete lightbulb) geoff m Metalworking 4 April 18th 05 08:36 PM
Converting lightbulb fitting to two flourescents John Rumm UK diy 1 January 21st 05 01:19 PM
Changing A Lightbulb, A lesson in Posting? Boris Beizer Metalworking 5 March 27th 04 12:20 AM