Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing a corrugated asbestos-cement roof

I have a large shed (far too large to consider re-roofing) which has a
corrugated asbestos-cement roof that probably dates from the 60s. It's
in quite good condition but there are a couple of cracks and one 4" hole
where a pipe used to pass through.
It seems the repair options are either Flashband (+primer), an EPDM
patch, making a GRP patch, covering with a bit of corrugated roofing, or
using galvanised mesh and cement. What else should I be thinking of? Any
recommendations?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends a bit on the aesthetics, patched in cement/asbestos roofs tend to look crap. If that is not an issue then a lot depends on how long you want the repair to last because inevitably you will end up repairing it again. Those roofs tend to weather over time the eventual surface does not provide the best substrate to adhere on and being the material it is not really feasible to clean it.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 19:25, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Depends a bit on the aesthetics, patched in cement/asbestos roofs tend to look crap. If that is not an issue then a lot depends on how long you want the repair to last because inevitably you will end up repairing it again. Those roofs tend to weather over time the eventual surface does not provide the best substrate to adhere on and being the material it is not really feasible to clean it.

Richard

I plan to wire brush it (wearing mask and working up-wind) around the
damaged areas, then to seal it with either a PU varnish or proprietary
primer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 January 2019 19:09:00 UTC, wrote:
I have a large shed (far too large to consider re-roofing) which has a
corrugated asbestos-cement roof that probably dates from the 60s. It's
in quite good condition but there are a couple of cracks and one 4" hole
where a pipe used to pass through.
It seems the repair options are either Flashband (+primer), an EPDM
patch, making a GRP patch, covering with a bit of corrugated roofing, or
using galvanised mesh and cement. What else should I be thinking of? Any
recommendations?

I fixed mine with flashband. The stuff lasts a long time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem with this stuff is that as the building settles, the roof is
under stress and fixing cracks etc, is only postponing the inevitable. I
think it goes brittle with age myself. The only, not very pretty thing I did
for some years till I was ready to let it go was to use plastic corrugated
stuff over it, tucked under the apex strip. Fillers, glue and other clever
things seem not to bond to the powdering asbestos very well.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I have a large shed (far too large to consider re-roofing) which has a
corrugated asbestos-cement roof that probably dates from the 60s. It's in
quite good condition but there are a couple of cracks and one 4" hole where
a pipe used to pass through.
It seems the repair options are either Flashband (+primer), an EPDM patch,
making a GRP patch, covering with a bit of corrugated roofing, or using
galvanised mesh and cement. What else should I be thinking of? Any
recommendations?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 January 2019 19:09:00 UTC, wrote:
I have a large shed (far too large to consider re-roofing) which has a
corrugated asbestos-cement roof that probably dates from the 60s. It's
in quite good condition but there are a couple of cracks and one 4" hole
where a pipe used to pass through.
It seems the repair options are either Flashband (+primer), an EPDM
patch, making a GRP patch, covering with a bit of corrugated roofing, or
using galvanised mesh and cement. What else should I be thinking of? Any
recommendations?

If replacement isn't practical, a cheap effective option is:
Apply bitumen paint
Apply cloth
Apply bitumen paint
Sprinkle on sand.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 20:38, wrote:
On 13/01/2019 19:30, newshound wrote:
On 13/01/2019 19:08,
wrote:
I have a large shed (far too large to consider re-roofing) which has
a corrugated asbestos-cement roof that probably dates from the 60s.
It's in quite good condition but there are a couple of cracks and one
4" hole where a pipe used to pass through.
It seems the repair options are either Flashband (+primer), an EPDM
patch, making a GRP patch, covering with a bit of corrugated roofing,
or using galvanised mesh and cement. What else should I be thinking
of? Any recommendations?

Rather than flashband I would be thinking about the fabric with mastic
tapes, Sylglas to DIY-ers or Denso tape to professionals. Together
with a bit of corrugated sheet of the correct pitch for the 4 inch
hole. Probably not galvanised mesh plus cement, too likely to crack
over time.

Why would you prefer Denso tape to flashband?

Because I think you would get it to stick much better to the irregular
and friable surface.

Currently, for the hole, I'm favouring a corrugated off-cut screwed and
Stixall'd to the inside and then the depression at the top filled and
profiled with polyester resin (car body filler) ... but all suggestions
welcomed, especially from those who've already solved the same problem.

I'd agree with that, except that stixall might well be enough. What are
you going to screw it to? Or do you mean put a few nuts and bolts
through the two layers? I would be OK with that. The problem I can see
with filling the depression with car body filler is that I am sure
cracks will open up. As an alternative, how about filling the depression
with mastic? The main thing is to get a good fillet over the lap joints.
Or, as I said, sylglas or denso.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes, roofing bolts to hold the wiggly tin. Perhaps a bit of GRP over the
top.