Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Texecom decides to go green/save money

www.texe.com

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

From their email

"Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals
with Texecom electronic security products manufactured after Monday 21st
January.

Printing hard copies of installation manuals and supplying with each
individual product is extremely wasteful, increasingly expensive,
damaging to the environment and, crucially, does not guarantee the
latest information relating to digitally-enabled and remotely upgradable
security products.

Texecom installation manuals are always available and always up to date
to professional security installers on our free TexecomPro app and on
the Texecom website.

Texecom has developed the TexecomPro app specifically to enhance and
support professional installers who design, install and maintain Texecom
security systems. Available free on iOS and Android, TexecomPro is the
go-to resource for all Texecom technical information."

See the clever use of the word crucially?

So how does this post help DIYers?

Well you just sign up as a professional installer and make up any
company name you want for free online access to their manuals. They do
not check any details (I am sure a reader will register with them to
prove this).

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW writes:
www.texe.com

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

From their email

[...]

I bought one of their branded SLA batteries once (it was what
the local wholesaler had). It had the shortest life of any SLA
I've ever bought - just over 1 year on float at 13.8V without
ever being run down.

Haven't ever used their alarms.

On the forum for the alarms I've installed, one of the professional
installers asked why they make all the programming data and interface
protocols available to the public, and shouldn't this be hidden?
The answer from the company was that all the innovative ideas and
suggestions they get for enhancements come from DIYers, and not the
professional installers. A DIYer is using their installation, and
tends to use most of the features which gives them good ideas
for other things they would like it to do, which the company often
implements. A professional installer is not using their installations
and generally make use of rather few of the alarm's features.

One of the first examples (20 years ago now) was the Homesafe sign
in, where the alarm alerts the parents if the children haven't
arrived back home from school by a certain time. This feature is
configured by many DIY installers, but almost never by professional
installers. (This feature has probably been overtaken by smartphone
apps nowadays, but still shows how a DIY and a professional
installation are likely to differ.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/01/2019 12:59, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
ARW writes:
www.texe.com

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

From their email

[...]

Most alarms I fit are on new builds and so are left as working with no
input from me to the user.

The second biggest market I fit alarms for are for people who have just
been burgled.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

The second biggest market I fit alarms for are for people who have just
been burgled.

Do you typically fit a particular brand / model under those
circumstances and if so what?

Would there be any you would advise the customer against?

If money was no object, what would you install at your own place?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 15:17, ARW wrote:

Most alarms I fit are on new builds and so are left as working with no
input from me to the user.

The second biggest market I fit alarms for are for people who have just
been burgled.

I have only fitted my own alarm in the last fourty years.

The last one I was paid for was in a bank in Walsall IIRC.

It was a pig as to fit the shock/heat/lock sensor on the safe required
drilling and tapping the safe door. They are bloody hard going.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 15:43, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

The second biggest market I fit alarms for are for people who have just
been burgled.

Do you typically fit a particular brand / model under those
circumstances and if so what?

Would there be any you would advise the customer against?

If money was no object, what would you install at your own place?

You wouldn't, you would get a monitored alarm fitted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/01/2019 15:43, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

The second biggest market I fit alarms for are for people who have just
been burgled.

Do you typically fit a particular brand / model under those
circumstances and if so what?

Would there be any you would advise the customer against?

If money was no object, what would you install at your own place?

Self guiding lasers that asked no questions.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/01/2019 15:43, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

The second biggest market I fit alarms for are for people who have just
been burgled.

Do you typically fit a particular brand / model under those
circumstances and if so what?

I fit Texecom stuff. Usually the R8.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 19:09:48 +0000, ARW
wrote:

On 13/01/2019 15:43, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

The second biggest market I fit alarms for are for people who have just
been burgled.

Do you typically fit a particular brand / model under those
circumstances and if so what?

I fit Texecom stuff. Usually the R8.

Thanks Adam.

Assuming it can take both, do you generally use wired and / or
wireless sensors as I'm not sure about the 'security' of Wireless
these days (thinking keyless cars etc)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 10:50, ARW wrote:
www.texe.com

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

From their email

[...]

Thank you for your email. In the past I have been able to download the
instruction pdf files from their website. I hope this will be possible I
am not really a fan of mobile phones.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 21:02:42 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

I fit Texecom stuff. Usually the R8.

Thanks Adam.

Assuming it can take both, do you generally use wired and / or
wireless sensors as I'm not sure about the 'security' of Wireless
these days (thinking keyless cars etc)?

Wired.

Thanks.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder if they have thought this through. I can see what is going to
happen now. All the installers will print them out and may even print two
out one for them, and one for the customer, or at least in part.Then of
course most crooks would be interested I'd imagine.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
www.texe.com

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

From their email

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 13/01/2019 15:43, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

The second biggest market I fit alarms for are for people who have just
been burgled.

Do you typically fit a particular brand / model under those
circumstances and if so what?

I fit Texecom stuff. Usually the R8.

That's helpful as I've been dithering about a wired alarm. But I was
leaning towards one that offered a "follower" setting and can't see that
in the R8 manual. Any recommendations please among those that do - eg
Texecom's Premier range?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:
www.texe.com

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

From their email

[...]

What's clever about it , I would have thought it was quite important to have the latest install guide for any product even an old one especailly if something has been updated or the original install guide had an error or wasn;t as good as it coukld be.

So how does this post help DIYers?

It tells them they no longer have to resister at their website but can get an app .

Well you just sign up as a professional installer and make up any
company name you want for free online access to their manuals. They do
not check any details (I am sure a reader will register with them to
prove this).

Do you have to sign up claiming to be a professonal installer.
Most apps yuo don't sign up for. You agree to T&Cs .

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 January 2019 13:07:22 UTC, F wrote:
On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

So what's the problem ?

From their email

"Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals
with Texecom electronic security products manufactured after Monday 21st
January.

So what's the problem ?

How would he email out something that doesn't appear to exist ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 January 2019 15:41:55 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 13:07:22 UTC, F wrote:
On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

So what's the problem ?

From their email

"Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals
with Texecom electronic security products manufactured after Monday 21st
January.

So what's the problem ?

How would he email out something that doesn't appear to exist ?

Time for a re-read....

and your conclusion ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 13:07:22 UTC, F wrote:
On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

So what's the problem ?

From their email

"Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals
with Texecom electronic security products manufactured after Monday 21st
January.

So what's the problem ?

How would he email out something that doesn't appear to exist ?

Time for a re-read....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 15:41:55 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 13:07:22 UTC, F wrote:
On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

So what's the problem ?

From their email

"Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals
with Texecom electronic security products manufactured after Monday 21st
January.

So what's the problem ?

How would he email out something that doesn't appear to exist ?

Time for a re-read....

and your conclusion ?

You can't be arsed?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Junior Member

Location: Panama
Send a message via ICQ to WarnerCrick Send a message via AIM to WarnerCrick Send a message via Yahoo to WarnerCrick Send a message via Skype™ to WarnerCrick

In it something is. I agree with you, thanks for an explanation. As always all ingenious is simple.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 01:09:23 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 15:41:55 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 13:07:22 UTC, F wrote:
On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

So what's the problem ?

From their email

"Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals
with Texecom electronic security products manufactured after Monday 21st
January.

So what's the problem ?

How would he email out something that doesn't appear to exist ?

Time for a re-read....

and your conclusion ?

You can't be arsed?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

My arse has nothing to do with it.
I'm asking why the DIY can't obtain the same info as the pro installer, unless only the pros get access to the app. or pros get extra info.

With apps this depends on whether or not you pay for an in-app purchase and NOT whether you are a Pro, DIYer, judge or prostitute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 01:09:23 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 15:41:55 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 13:07:22 UTC, F wrote:
On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

So what's the problem ?

From their email

"Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals
with Texecom electronic security products manufactured after Monday 21st
January.

So what's the problem ?

How would he email out something that doesn't appear to exist ?

Time for a re-read....

and your conclusion ?

You can't be arsed?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

My arse has nothing to do with it.
I'm asking why the DIY can't obtain the same info as the pro installer, unless only the pros get access to the app. or pros get extra info.

With apps this depends on whether or not you pay for an in-app purchase and NOT whether you are a Pro, DIYer, judge or prostitute.

Funny that, you were wibbling about "photocopies" etc just a few
trite messages ago...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 12:02:00 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 01:09:23 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 15:41:55 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 13:07:22 UTC, F wrote:
On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

So what's the problem ?

From their email

[...]

Well I've no idea how pros got their info before, other than "Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals"

Is that what pros used or did they find another way to get the information ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/01/2019 12:21, whisky-dave wrote:

Well I've no idea how pros got their info before, other than "Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals"

Is that what pros used or did they find another way to get the information ?

The printed installation manual used to come with the alarm.

You cannot download installation manuals from Texecom unless you are a
registered installer. So the average DIYer buying a Texecom panel would
not be able to install the alarm.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/01/2019 09:20, Robin wrote:
On 13/01/2019 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 13/01/2019 15:43, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

The second biggest market I fit alarms for are for people who have just
been burgled.

Do you typically fit a particular brand / model under those
circumstances and if so what?

I fit Texecom stuff. Usually the R8.

That's helpful as I've been dithering about a wired alarm. But I was
leaning towards one that offered a "follower" setting and can't see that
in the R8 manual. Any recommendations please among those that do - eg
Texecom's Premier range?

By "follower" setting do you mean a zone that will sound the alarm
immediately if that is the first zone that is activated but would
otherwise not immediately sound the alarm if you have already activated
another zone?

eg zone one is the front door contact and zone 2 is the hall PIR and the
keypad is in the hallway and you enter via the front door.

Or am I completely missing the point?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/01/2019 08:50, Brian Gaff wrote:
I wonder if they have thought this through. I can see what is going to
happen now. All the installers will print them out and may even print two
out one for them, and one for the customer, or at least in part.Then of
course most crooks would be interested I'd imagine.

It helps crooks in no way at all.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/01/2019 21:37, Michael Chare wrote:
On 13/01/2019 10:50, ARW wrote:
www.texe.com

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

Â*From their email

[...]

In the above it says "Texecom installation manuals are always available
and always up to date to professional security installers on our free
TexecomPro app and on the Texecom website."

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/01/2019 01:09, Jim K.. wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 15:41:55 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 13:07:22 UTC, F wrote:
On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

So what's the problem ?

From their email

"Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals
with Texecom electronic security products manufactured after Monday 21st
January.

So what's the problem ?

How would he email out something that doesn't appear to exist ?

Time for a re-read....

and your conclusion ?

You can't be arsed?

Can you stick a 2nd class stamp on an email?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 13/01/2019 15:43, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

[...]

Yes, that's it.

Or am I completely missing the point?

No, I think you've decoded my probably **** poor explanation of what I
wanted. In mitigation, I've never owned or installed a proper alarm system.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/01/2019 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 13/01/2019 15:43, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

[...]

wanted.Â* In mitigation, I've never owned or installed a proper alarm
system.

Well then that is the first thing I have got right this week and it is
only Wednesday:-)))

Texecom call that zone "inhibited entry".

All the Veritas Panels do that.

But always buy the R8 plus. You can have secondary key codes for
cleaners/carers/electricians etc on the R8 plus and you can use EOL
terminations..

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 19:09, ARW wrote:
On 13/01/2019 15:43, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:17:28 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

[...]

Oi! I'm too bloody old to cope with Dementia tests after dinner.

Texecom call that zone "inhibited entry".

All the Veritas Panels do that.

But always buy the R8 plus. You can have secondary key codes for
cleaners/carers/electricians etc on the R8 plus and you can use EOL
terminations..

Ta.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 21:06:13 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

But always buy the R8 plus. You can have secondary key codes for
cleaners/carers/electricians etc on the R8 plus and you can use EOL
terminations..

Have you ever had to deal with a system with a GSM dialler OOI Adam
and if so, what did you think?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 15/01/2019 01:09, Jim K.. wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 15:41:55 UTC, JimK wrote:
whisky-dave Wrote in message:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 13:07:22 UTC, F wrote:
On 14/01/2019 13:04, whisky-dave wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 10:50:45 UTC, ARW wrote:

Of if you do not want to sign up then just email me with the Texecom
manual you want and I'll email it to you.

That's nice of yuo but if you get a request for 100s will you pay the cost of photocopying (which might be against copyright) and posting to everyone.

Adam said he would *email* it out, not post out a copy.

will no longer be giving out paper copies of installation manuals with
their alarms. That's not much use to a DIYer.

So what's the problem ?

From their email

"Texecom is no longer supplying printed copies of installation manuals
with Texecom electronic security products manufactured after Monday 21st
January.

So what's the problem ?

How would he email out something that doesn't appear to exist ?

Time for a re-read....

and your conclusion ?

You can't be arsed?

Can you stick a 2nd class stamp on an email?

Course I will, you post it through & I'll send it on... ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/01/2019 21:52, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 21:06:13 +0000, ARW
wrote:

snip

But always buy the R8 plus. You can have secondary key codes for
cleaners/carers/electricians etc on the R8 plus and you can use EOL
terminations..

Have you ever had to deal with a system with a GSM dialler OOI Adam
and if so, what did you think?

No experience.

--
Adam