Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

Default WHY DOESN'T MY SNOWBLOWER BLOW SNOW

..

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2019 21:19, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

This is UK and it ain't snowing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-12 3:06 p.m., Bob Minchin wrote:
On 12/01/2019 21:19, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

This is UK and it ain't snowing.

show me where someone said anything to the contrary

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/259868...ast-from-east/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 22:06:11 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

On 12/01/2019 21:19, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

This is UK and it ain't snowing.

Snow doesn't impale too weel, either. Ice is better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 12/01/2019 21:19, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

This is UK and it ain't snowing.

Snow doesn't impale too weel, either. Ice is better.

i think my post isn't getting read properly ,
like the replyers are not even reading what i said ,
i'm not asking about what snow does ,
i'm asking why my snowblower isn't ,
blowing snow as far as it used to ,
i've tried everything to fix it

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 12/01/2019 21:19, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow
This is UK and it ain't snowing.

Snow doesn't impale too weel, either. Ice is better.

i think my post isn't getting read properly ,
like the replyers are not even reading what i said ,
i'm not asking about what snow does ,
i'm asking why my snowblower isn't ,
blowing snow as far as it used to ,
i've tried everything to fix it

Not enough snow?

no , it's almost to the top of the scoop part say 15 inches ,
and if i gear up or give it too much gas it stalls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK so you want a serious answer?
If its dry snow, snow blowers work well, ie the powdered stuff. It does
have some adaptation for ice as has been eluded to , but wet snow is a bit
like mud against sand. It clumps together and is also a lot heavier and so
is not going to go so far.
If you used to get snow that was dry, and now get snow that is damp then
that is global warming for you. You may need to invest in a shovel as we do
here in the UK as much of the time our snow is wet, and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
o.uk...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2019 21:19, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow
This is UK and it ain't snowing.

Snow doesn't impale too weel, either. Ice is better.

i think my post isn't getting read properly ,
like the replyers are not even reading what i said ,
i'm not asking about what snow does ,
i'm asking why my snowblower isn't ,
blowing snow as far as it used to ,
i've tried everything to fix it

Not enough snow?

no , it's almost to the top of the scoop part say 15 inches ,
and if i gear up or give it too much gas it stalls

Wrong type of snow? If so contact British Rail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/01/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Brian

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to make
buying a blower worthwhile. My neighbour across the road, who is Swiss,
made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a bit of 2x2. It
works rather nicely

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2019 21:19, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow
This is UK and it ain't snowing.

Snow doesn't impale too weel, either. Ice is better.

i think my post isn't getting read properly ,
like the replyers are not even reading what i said ,
i'm not asking about what snow does ,
i'm asking why my snowblower isn't ,
blowing snow as far as it used to ,
i've tried everything to fix it

Not enough snow?

no , it's almost to the top of the scoop part say 15 inches ,
and if i gear up or give it too much gas it stalls

most likely is crud in the carb. Check the float sits correctly too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 1:37 a.m., Brian Gaff wrote:
OK so you want a serious answer?
If its dry snow, snow blowers work well, ie the powdered stuff. It does
have some adaptation for ice as has been eluded to , but wet snow is a bit
like mud against sand. It clumps together and is also a lot heavier and so
is not going to go so far.
If you used to get snow that was dry, and now get snow that is damp then
that is global warming for you. You may need to invest in a shovel as we do
here in the UK as much of the time our snow is wet, and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Brian

i live just outside of alaska there's no such thing as wet snow ,
even the humidity here is only 20% everything is dry
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Â* Brian

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to make
buying a blower worthwhile.Â* My neighbour across the road, who is Swiss,
made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a bit of 2x2. It
works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Â* Brian

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to make
buying a blower worthwhile.Â* My neighbour across the road, who is
Swiss, made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a bit of
2x2. It works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long

You'd be pretty fit by the time you finished.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Â* Brian

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to
make buying a blower worthwhile.Â* My neighbour across the road, who
is Swiss, made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a bit
of 2x2. It works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long

You'd be pretty fit by the time you finished.

it could snow from october to may ,
i'm way up in the north west part of canada
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/01/2019 17:53, % wrote:

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to
make buying a blower worthwhile.Â* My neighbour across the road, who
is Swiss, made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a bit
of 2x2. It works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long

You'd be pretty fit by the time you finished.

it could snow from october to may ,
i'm way up in the north west part of canada

That just leaves you having to find an exercise activity for
June-September, so you don't go soft.

In any case, shovelling snow is better than getting cabin fever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 10:57 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 17:53, % wrote:

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to
make buying a blower worthwhile.Â* My neighbour across the road, who
is Swiss, made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a
bit of 2x2. It works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long

You'd be pretty fit by the time you finished.

it could snow from october to may ,
i'm way up in the north west part of canada

That just leaves you having to find an exercise activity for
June-September, so you don't go soft.

In any case, shovelling snow is better than getting cabin fever.

i shoveled the first year i was here ,
that's why i have a snowblower ,
in the summer i go fishing or i'm on my mountain bike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/01/2019 18:00, % wrote:

i shoveled the first year i was here ,
that's why i have a snowblower ,
in the summer i go fishing or i'm on my mountain bike

I'm probably wrong, but my impression of where you live is that it's
utterly impossible for me. That's because of an immensely depressing
lack of daylight in the winter, and huge numbers of mosquitoes in the
summer. Apart from that, I'd love it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

% wrote:

it could snow from october to may ,
i'm way up in the north west part of canada

Maybe it would make more sense to ask on a forum where snowblower ownership
is common?

Theyre as rare as hens teeth in the UK.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Brian

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to make
buying a blower worthwhile. My neighbour across the road, who is
Swiss, made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a bit of
2x2. It works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long

You probably want a snow blower rather than a shovel if it's that long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 11:08 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 18:00, % wrote:

i shoveled the first year i was here ,
that's why i have a snowblower ,
in the summer i go fishing or i'm on my mountain bike

I'm probably wrong, but my impression of where you live is that it's
utterly impossible for me. That's because of an immensely depressing
lack of daylight in the winter, and huge numbers of mosquitoes in the
summer. Apart from that, I'd love it.

the short days can get to you sometimes ,
mosquitoes only last about 2 weeks in june ,
you're probably right , it's a remote area , town size maybe 1500
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Â* Brian

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to make
buying a blower worthwhile.Â* My neighbour across the road, who is
Swiss, made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a bit of
2x2. It works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long

You probably want a snow blower rather than a shovel if it's that long.

i did it with a shovel the first year , never again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-13 11:08 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 18:00, % wrote:

i shoveled the first year i was here ,
that's why i have a snowblower ,
in the summer i go fishing or i'm on my mountain bike

I'm probably wrong, but my impression of where you live is that it's
utterly impossible for me. That's because of an immensely depressing lack
of daylight in the winter, and huge numbers of mosquitoes in the summer.
Apart from that, I'd love it.

the short days can get to you sometimes ,
mosquitoes only last about 2 weeks in june ,
you're probably right , it's a remote area , town size maybe 1500

Surely its unusual to have a drunks tank in a place that small
or is that because only drunks are silly enough to 'live' there ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 11:08 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 18:00, % wrote:

i shoveled the first year i was here ,
that's why i have a snowblower ,
in the summer i go fishing or i'm on my mountain bike

I'm probably wrong, but my impression of where you live is that it's
utterly impossible for me. That's because of an immensely depressing
lack of daylight in the winter, and huge numbers of mosquitoes in the
summer. Apart from that, I'd love it.

the short days can get to you sometimes ,
mosquitoes only last about 2 weeks in june ,
you're probably right , it's a remote area , town size maybe 1500

Surely its unusual to have a drunks tank in a place that small
or is that because only drunks are silly enough to 'live' there ?

it's more of a policing matter to free them up to do other things ,
there's lots of native canadians here and the police are short staffed ,
they cover a huge area i would guess 200 square miles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 18:09, Tim+ wrote:

Maybe it would make more sense to ask on a forum where snowblower ownership
is common?

Theyre as rare as hens teeth in the UK.

Costco had 'em in one year.

Only the 1 year though as far as I'm aware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 13/01/2019 18:09, Tim+ wrote:

Maybe it woFuld make more sense to ask on a forum where snowblower ownership
is common?

They're as rare as hens' teeth in the UK.

Costco had 'em in one year.

Only the 1 year though as far as I'm aware.

bear in mind that Homebase's previous owners - the Australian ones -
stocked barbeques in December - for Christmas!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 11:09, charles wrote:
In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 13/01/2019 18:09, Tim+ wrote:

Maybe it woFuld make more sense to ask on a forum where snowblower ownership
is common?

They're as rare as hens' teeth in the UK.

Costco had 'em in one year.

Only the 1 year though as far as I'm aware.

bear in mind that Homebase's previous owners - the Australian ones -
stocked barbeques in December - for Christmas!

Lots of people cook their turkeys in the BBQ at xmas these days !.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Â* Brian

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to make
buying a blower worthwhile.Â* My neighbour across the road, who is
Swiss, made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a bit of
2x2. It works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long

You probably want a snow blower rather than a shovel if it's that long.

BR invented a jet engine snow blower in the 1950's, but it blew
all the track ballast away as well :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 09:06:17 -0700

On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Â* Brian

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to
make buying a blower worthwhile.Â* My neighbour across the road, who
is Swiss, made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a
bit of 2x2. It works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long

You need one of these, then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk13mZq06PI

https://newatlas.com/for-the-man-wit...owblower/4889/

At one time, the second site referred to sold such items as 2-stroke
engine-powered Margarita mixers.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 08:47, Peter wrote:
Wrong type of snow? If so contact British Rail.

That's unkind.

They went on to explain that the trains could cope with wet soggy
British snow, but that rare fluffy stuff was causing problems (sucked
into the motors)

They have the same trains in cold climates where they deal with the
fluffy snow by having roof mounted air intakes.

That takes out two seats per motor unit.

For an event that happens once per decade it isn't worth it.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:47, Peter wrote:
Wrong type of snow? If so contact British Rail.

That's unkind.

They went on to explain that the trains could cope with wet soggy
British snow, but that rare fluffy stuff was causing problems (sucked
into the motors)

A later occasion saw the nothing to do with British Rail French designed
Eurostar trains also affected.
Fine dry snow penetrated into the power car bodywork , on entering the
tunnel the warmer atmosphere
thawed it out and the water then created problems amongst the electrics.

Not being British the press didnt pillory the company like they would
normally have done.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-15 1:10 a.m., Marland wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:47, Peter wrote:
Wrong type of snow? If so contact British Rail.

That's unkind.

They went on to explain that the trains could cope with wet soggy
British snow, but that rare fluffy stuff was causing problems (sucked
into the motors)

A later occasion saw the nothing to do with British Rail French designed
Eurostar trains also affected.
Fine dry snow penetrated into the power car bodywork , on entering the
tunnel the warmer atmosphere
thawed it out and the water then created problems amongst the electrics.

Not being British the press didnt pillory the company like they would
normally have done.

GH

thank you all for the snowblower information it really helped
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
and you do not see many
snow blowers about mainly as they don't work very well on wet snow.
Â* Brian

Hmm, around here, it's mainly because we don't get enough snow to
make buying a blower worthwhile.Â* My neighbour across the road, who
is Swiss, made himself a snow shovel out of a piece of ply and a bit
of 2x2. It works rather nicely

my driveway is about 200 feet long

You'd be pretty fit by the time you finished.

it could snow from october to may ,
i'm way up in the north west part of canada

Don't you think that uk.d-i-y might not be the best place to look for
advice on snow blowers? We almost never have the right sort of snow and
when we do the entire country grinds to a standstill with just 10cm.

Preference here is for a shaped piece of metal on the front of a tractor
to act as a snow plough since that will also shift soggy wet snow.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 10:46 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 16:06, % wrote:
On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
[...]

you never know where information might come from ,
so you try to cut down the possibilities ,
no i don't think like that , it's possible ,
a snowblower repair man might be here ,
even if he's getting info on a non related topic ,
no i don't think looking for info in all places is a bad idea
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-13 10:46 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 16:06, % wrote:
On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
[...]

The problem is an engine. There's plenty of overlap between people that diy & engine repair & restoration. And he's now got the info that muck in the carb is the most common cause. Sounds like a win.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2019-01-13 10:46 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 16:06, % wrote:
On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
[...]

i answered this already

That's news to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 10:46 a.m., GB wrote:
On 13/01/2019 16:06, % wrote:
On 2019-01-13 5:25 a.m., GB wrote:
[...]

what a surprise , getting news in a newsgroup